1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

looking for advice - need direction

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by nopenope, Jun 4, 2011.

1. nopenope

nopenope New Member

2. forStyle

forStyle Well-Known Member

tech at investment bank?

3. ginlimetonic

ginlimetonic Well-Known Member

sounds like management consulting is your thing.

You would act in a directorship role, providing advice through external consulting to a firm, but aren't tied down to earnings calls.

Pay is good, hours reasonable.

4. calisanfran

calisanfran Well-Known Member

I thought I would have stuff figured out by now, but unfortunately that's not the case - this is not a tale of woe of any sort. I'm generally happy with my progress thus far, but I don't know where to go next

So here's the story: I work for a company that went public (supported multiple rounds of financing). 2nd in command during project finance deal. Internal strategy role. I think my chosen field is a bad deal for VC's - too capital intensive and too much $$ invested before you know if the tech works. I'm a natural fit for big oil (used to work as eng) but their major metric is not screwing things up which is not appealing to me. I'm interested in science and technology but also really enjoy finance theory. I like the idea of private companies managed by milestones, not quarterly earnings, but i don't like the idea of possibly insane owners.

Does anyone have suggestions on where to look next?

Skill set: learning, input, competitive, strategic, futuristic. top 3 eng, top 5 mba

Project Finance at a solar company? Like a Solyndra, etc.