1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a good tailor

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tsloop, Aug 24, 2004.

1. tsloop

tsloop Well-Known Member

I just recently started buying clothes online and some of them need to be tailored but I have zero experience with tailors. I live in Monterey, California but would be willing to drive the hour and a half to San Francisco if needed. Any help finding someone would be greatly appreciated

2. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

jon minor comes recommended as one of the best in the city, but i have no experience (yet). also i don't know his rates - aharris might have a better idea.

(actually i'd love to know his rates - is he more expensive than others, or is there kindof a standard rate that most tailors follow?)

/andrew

3. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Im about to take a Kiton jacket to a tailor who is in a concourse off Market Street near Montgomery. He was recommended by Brooks Brothers (they are now sending even sleeve buttons back to New York because they have no-one local who is competent). The guy's wife worked at BroBroClo for thirty years.

I'll let you know how the work turns out. I can find him but don't know his name or I'd pass it on. If you know SF, it's the same concourse as the cigar store.

Will

4. faustian bargain

will: not sure which cigar shop you're talking about, probably grant's tobacconist?

here's what mapquest gave me close by there:

Macchione Custom Tailors
    Esobar Brothers Custom Tailors
    Custom Shop Shirtmakers Inc
    Andreas Gorges Tailoring
    Threads-Jack Henderson
    Angelo Rocco
    Patrick James

any of those ring a bell?

5. Steve B.

Steve B. Well-Known Member

Try Pacific Tweed or Khaki's in Monterey. Why drive?

6. tsloop

tsloop Well-Known Member

I was willing to drive, of course Khaki's just slipped my mind, I dont know how with all the commercials they run. Thanks, that will definitely help and save a lot of time.

7. faustian bargain

for the benefit of others, (sorry tsloop, anything outside of SF is off the edge of the world for me) - the bay guardian had their 'best of the bay' issue a few weeks ago, and their reader poll voted 'Cable Car Tailors' on Powell St. the best for tailoring/alterations.

however, given their apparent constituency, i don't know if that's much of a ringing endorsement.

/andrew - still interested in city- or eastbay-based tailor info