1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Loake Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by 75487, Dec 1, 2009.

1. upnorth

upnorth Well-Known Member

I bought a pair of Barkers eons ago from Herrings egged on by encouragement from posts saying that seconds are not very noticeable and would not affect the integrity of the shoe. 1 year into wearing it, twice weekly, the "dent" on the side of the shoe became a hole.

I would not buy another seconds from Herring but sale prices and discontinued offers are still decent buys. I think Herrings could do well to point out where the fault(s) are when they list a pair of seconds.

On the topic, I think any one of the Loakes 1880s will be a very serviceable pair for a person with a smaller budget or just starting out work. They still look much better than 90% of all shoes that people are wearing these days.

2. aj_del

aj_del Well-Known Member

3. Sander

Sander Well-Known Member

@ ajdel: I don't think so. The suede semi-brogues look like these to me: http://herringshoes.co.uk/product-in...ID=2&seconds=0
    And that's just "Loake shoemakers" quality.
    I once sent CT a mail, asking about the level of quality their shoes were produced. I never got a reply -> go figure.

4. Doc4

Doc4 Well-Known Member

Check out the Trickers shoes on Sierra Trading Post or the clearance Peal & Co. shoes on Brooks Brothers. Either will be better, and with the proper discount/cupons, you will come in at a good price.

I have two old pair of shoes that I bought at Charles Tyrwhitt five years ago that I seem to remember where made by Loake. Maybe someone on this board can confirm?

They are still in my rotation after five years and I have no complaints whatsoever about the quality. I have had them resoled a couple of times but besides that they have worked like a charm.

/BB

Most CT shoes are made "overseas" [​IMG] and only the calfskin ones are still made by Loake (I take it) in England ... and are overpriced. (The prices have gone up a lot the past couple of years.)

5. Geoff Gander

Geoff Gander Well-Known Member

@ ajdel: I don't think so. The suede semi-brogues look like these to me: http://herringshoes.co.uk/product-in...ID=2&seconds=0
    I once sent CT a mail, asking about the level of quality their shoes were produced. I never got a reply -> go figure.

The all-rubber heel with the "V" pattern is usually a dead giveaway for Loake L1 shoes. I would note that the L1 series has a suede model, which is similar:

http://www.loake.co.uk/Shop/Products...&ProductID=202

Loake 1880 almost always have a combination rubber/leather heel.

I suspect the CT offering is a slightly up-spec'ed version.

6. Big Bird

Big Bird Well-Known Member

Most but not all of the CT shoes were/are Loake, but they've also used Barker (and possibly others).
    Most CT shoes are made "overseas" [​IMG] and only the calfskin ones are still made by Loake (I take it) in England ... and are overpriced. (The prices have gone up a lot the past couple of years.)

Thanks for the info.

(The prices have gone up a lot the past couple of years.)

Well, I am not really sure about that. If I remember correctly I paid roughly GBP£ 275 per pair five years ago.

I dont mind the small price inflation since in ther same period the Sterling has lost almost 30% against the Euro. I work in London one or two days a week but get paid in Euro.

/BB

7. jimmy c

jimmy c Active Member

i have the knightsbridge from loake's 1880 range and enjoy them

8. highball

highball Well-Known Member

i have the knightsbridge from loake's 1880 range and enjoy them

jimmmy c or anyone else-

Can you comment on the fit of the Knightsbridge? Looking to order a pair but haven't been able to discern how the new "Capital" last fits as I've heard it may be quite different from Loake's other lasts. Thanks!

9. aj_del

aj_del Well-Known Member

The all-rubber heel with the "V" pattern is usually a dead giveaway for Loake L1 shoes. I would note that the L1 series has a suede model, which is similar:

Thanks for your replies. Until I read them I thought the sale at CT was a very good deal ..

Wondering what are your thoughts on the Loake Strand. I am considering the brown one. If any members have any pictures of the Loake that would be great. The 4th image is of the color that I like though I am not sure how it looks in real life.

10. Geoff Gander

Geoff Gander Well-Known Member

11. ldanny

ldanny Well-Known Member

I have a pair of low end loakes. they look great but not the most comfortable. The sizes seem to run big compared to US size.

12. tenorclef

tenorclef Active Member

Decided to buy a couple of pairs of brogues, i got a black L1 pair and a nice tan 1880 'Chester'.
    They both look really nice but i note the L1 is not a comfy shoe compared to the 1880 Chester tan. I don't want to give up on the L1 so i've ordered some neatfoot oil to try and soften the leather, if that does'nt work i'll probably have to buy another pair of loakes from their 1880 range.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. jimmy c

jimmy c Active Member

jimmmy c or anyone else-

Can you comment on the fit of the Knightsbridge? Looking to order a pair but haven't been able to discern how the new "Capital" last fits as I've heard it may be quite different from Loake's other lasts. Thanks!

sorry for the late reply

they fit me very comfortably. I unfortunately have quite wide feet. probably should take a G fit but usually end up taking an F and sizing up maybe a half size as most G fit shoes can look a bit clumpy.

(I'm talking UK sizing here)

The knightsbridge seem to be roomy enough in the toe area without looking large from the outside. My little toe often gets squashed in shoes and that doesn't really happen with these.

14. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Well-Known Member

On the topic, I think any one of the Loakes 1880s will be a very serviceable pair for a person with a smaller budget or just starting out work. They still look much better than 90% of all shoes that people are wearing these days.

Sums it up really.

If you are 'into' your shoes, it's worth saving up for C&J et. al. You'll just be itching to get a better quality pair. That said, black business shoe - makes no odds. I'd be happy with a Loake 1880 black Oxford, but chestnut...has to be C&J or above.

15. tenorclef

tenorclef Active Member

Decided to buy a couple of pairs of brogues, i got a black L1 pair and a nice tan 1880 'Chester'.
    They both look really nice but i note the L1 is not a comfy shoe compared to the 1880 Chester tan. I don't want to give up on the L1 so i've ordered some neatfoot oil to try and soften the leather, if that does'nt work i'll probably have to buy another pair of loakes from their 1880 range.

Well the Neatsfoot seems to be doing the trick and the breaking in period is almost over so these Loakes may do the trick for my needs. Also regarding the Neatsfoot oil, it has slightly darkened my tan brogues which i don't think is a bad thing as they now have a slight cremona orange to them which i think adds a bit of warmth to the colour.

16. mmm

mmm Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experience with the Evolution line? They go for about the same price as the 1880s.

17. Gilmour

Gilmour Well-Known Member

Hi

Dose any one know who makes Loake shoe trees or do they make there own .

I just thought that 30 pounds a tree is a tad deer, ( well for a pair )