1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Loake Pimlico--Chukka's

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rexthedestroyer, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Marcellionheart

Marcellionheart Well-Known Member

I'm probably missing something obvious to the rest of you, but could someone point out the difference between the Loake Kempton and Pimlico to me? Been meaning to give Loake a shot and figured I'd start with a pair of chukkas. Thanks much.
    As meso pointed out, they're on different lasts. I only have the Pimlico, so I can't comment on how they relate to one another. Having said that, if you have wide feet, I'd not recommend the Pimlico. My right foot is noticibly one width bigger than my left and so while the Pimlico's fit my left foot perfectly, I'm having the right boot stretched at a cobbler. Hopefully this will do the job. On the subject of wide feet, chukkas, and Loake, this Navy suede desert boot with a crepe sole caught my eye on Herrings yesterday: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0 I'm thinking spring/summer suede boots for 2011. Definitely on my spring purchase list. And pediwear offers it with Loake club discount and no VAT at almost £100 with shoe trees and free tie.

2. BicesterRules

BicesterRules Active Member

Not at all, but thanks for inquiring.

How did you know? Which should I choose, Loakes or EGs? As long as the shoe isn't at TKMaxx because that signifies poor brands! [​IMG]

I keep an eye on what is going on the UK high street. Loake's main sale channel has become Clarcks, a chain which mainly sells comfortable but mediocre shoes. Jones (higher on the UK high street food chain) also sells them at barely higher price than their own brand.I also go to tkmax occasionally trying to spot he odd bargain. Of the "classic" Northampton shoes only Loake is available. From my experience Loake is just another UK company going downmarket while living on past laurels for as long as possible, which with guys like u around can be a long time indeed

3. NamlikeaG6

NamlikeaG6 Active Member

Noob question, is Loake Pimlico too sleek to wear as a casual boots with jeans? I'm thinking about getting a pair of chukkas to wear with both jeans and chinos for work and running errands on the weekends.

Or maybe the Meermin chukkas would be better for both jeans/chinos? I think the Meermin's might be too round for my liking...

4. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

5. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

In suede, definitely okay with jeans. In leather, maybe.

6. NamlikeaG6

NamlikeaG6 Active Member

Loake Pimlico in chocolate suede it is then!!
    shoehealer.com is having them for about 145 pounds, shipping included :D

7. NamlikeaG6

NamlikeaG6 Active Member

Just got the shoes in an hour ago!! :D
    10D in Allen Edmonds Park Avenue fits me like a glove so I ordered size 9 UK for the Pimlico.
    The fit is perfect, comfortable but definitely not loose. It would have been big if I have ordered a 9.5 UK like the manufacturer has suggested.
    All and all, cost me 148 pound from Shoe Healer, customer service was great and shipping is WAS CRAZY FAST. I paid their PayPal invoice on Wednesday and received the shoes on Friday. And I live in Missouri, in the middle of the US!
    Everything was great, even got two shoe bags! Now, downsides. There is a little cut, rough spot on both sides of one of the shoes on the edges. Is that normal or would it get worse as I wear it?

Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uifxo5xvxaa5zpb/2013-02-11 19.52.14.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x6x814093gqcio6/2013-02-11 19.51.58.jpg?m

8. aussiejake

aussiejake Well-Known Member

9. islay

islay Well-Known Member

The Pimlico looks nice, I had the kemptom and it was a bit roomy for me, I would like to have a chance to try the pimplico, it looks better than the Kemptom in my opinion

10. SHS

SHS Well-Known Member

The same way you replace a leather sole. I think I was quoted something like $100 from Loake for a refurbishment a couple of years ago.

11. aussiejake

aussiejake Well-Known Member

So in the end it would be better/cheaper to get leather soled chukkas with rubber topy's?

12. SHS

SHS Well-Known Member

I have wondered about the same thing. Ideally you would be able to renew the topying on your shoes when it wore out, and thus delay the need for a resole. I have not yet tried it, but perhaps you should ask in the shoe care thread. By the way, I found some info on Loake's repair service:

http://www.loake.co.uk/repairs/