1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. London Guy

London Guy Active Member

Evening Loake fans,

I've just taken delivery of my third pair of Loakes today, my collection is slowly growing!

The other half kindly treated me to some Mulligan boots for my joint Xmas and birthday present.

I popped in the Princes arcade store in London a couple of weeks back to try and buy them, unfortunately they didn't stock them and neither did the branch in the City. They didn't have any other shoes made on the same last with the same fitting but after I mentioned I own a pair of Edwards in my usual size 11 I was advised to go up a half size in the Mulligans.

The Mulligans took my fancy due to the commando sole, it should provide me plenty of much needed grip when the inevitable snow and ice make an appearance.

I ordered my Pediwear as Loake themselves had a 3 month wait for an 11.5.

Tried them on tonight with a thin sock and they feel ever so slightly too loose. I doubled up the socks and they were a little better but I still felt like I could pull them off when fully laced up tight with a bit of elbow grease.

The boots themselves are lovely but I want to make sure I get the perfect fit. I've got to buy some thick wool socks tomorrow to see how they feel then but I'm considering sending them back to Pediwear and going for an 11.

I've been in touch with Loake to see if they can provide me with some info on all their stockists to see if anyone else has them or the other shoes made in the same last with the same fitting.

I've seen on this thread a couple of members have the Mulligans has anyone gone up a half size and found them to be too big?

Before I go to the hassle of sending them back and waiting for the next pair I want to make sure my normal size will fit or whether a nice thick pair of socks and an insole will do the trick on these 11.5's.

My Edwards are perfect, nice and snug but still roomy enough to not give my feet any grief.

Anybody's experiences with these boots would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Andreaser

Andreaser Member

Hello, friend!
    Not so long ago I also bought Mulligans since I needed something hard for autumn. The boots are good. Made of thick leather they are really solid. I had opportunity to try them on before I buy, so at first I bought my regular 9, but on the next day I've been back to store to change it for 9,5 and now I am happy. These boots should be worn on thick wool socks because it's hard. Also I want to beware you to wear them when it's too cold. They are very slippery on ice. Only for temperature higher than 0 if you don't want to look like a cow on ice. For cold days I recommend you Wolf or any other style on dainite sole. I know what I am talking about because today it's already -20 in Moscow.

3. London Guy

London Guy Active Member

Hey man,

Thanks for your comments, interesting point about the Dainite sole being better in the ice than the Commando. I assumed the commando would be the best bet for ice and snow. It obviously doesn't get anywhere near as cold in London as it does in Moscow but I'll do a bit more research on dainite vs commando. I was originally looking at the Wharfdale for my first Loake boot but opted for the Mulligan as they looked a lot tougher.

I've heard back from Pediwear first thing today, I've been told that the Last Colt / F fitting and the Last Pennine / G fitting are not that dissimilar so the advice given by Loake themselves to go up half a size may not have been entirely accurate.

I've just been out and bought some thick wool socks as I didn't own any. I'm going to give them a try tonight before I decide whether or not to return them.

Out of interest did you notice that much difference when you went from 9 - 9.5? My 11.5's feel fine around the toes but just feel a tad too loose everywhere else.

It's a tricky thing buying online, if I switch to an 11 and they are too tight it'll be even more annoying!

Cheers.

4. London Guy

London Guy Active Member

5. Andreaser

Andreaser Member

Yes, there is a difference between 9 and 9,5. If I'd wear 9 with thin cotton socks it would be tight and risky to have blisters. Actually I prefer tight fit than loosing, but in this case I made the right choice. Boots are comfortable with thick socks for cold weather. Tell me how is it on your feet regarding the length? Is there any space? You know it is really hard to advise the fitting offline :)

About the commando sole at cold weather: snow gets stuck in between of protector and the material of commando sole becomes very hard on cold so if you step on ice you slip. It is not my fantasy it is practice. But for the weather above 0 it is really good boots.

I hope it is helpful!

6. London Guy

London Guy Active Member

There is a little space in the boot but the problem I'm having is that when they're fully laced up tight they move when I walk. I also feel that I could almost pull them clean off my feet. I've only worn them with thin socks though, I doubled up the socks but I doubt this was a thick as a proper pair of thick socks.

With regards to the weather we had a fairly mild winter in London last year, I can't recall if it snowed or not so I don't really have to worry about heavy snowfall it's more for icy and wet conditions.

I'm going to try them with the thick socks tonight and make a decision on whether to return them or not. My contact at Pediwear has advised me that an 11 should be perfect considering the information I've given him.

I'm also considering swapping for a Wharfdale boot, it's the same last/fitting as my Edwards so I know an 11 will be a perfect fit. Plus they have the dainite sole which after your comments and the research I've just been doing may be better for city wear in wet and icy conditions.

Decisions, decisions!

7. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

Hello, Andreasor
    Do temperatures of around -20, change the nature of shoe leather? Does the leather harden or tend to crack? What shoe care method and products do you use on your shoes, during periods of very severe cold?
    Best wishes
    Munky

8. Andreaser

Andreaser Member

Hello! I can't say that the leather becomes harder. And no cracking at all. I have fur lined Loake Wolf, and Loake Warfdale (was made exclusively for Russian retailer). So both are very good in cold even lower -15 C. For caring the boots I use all the same stuff: wax or cream. Cream seems to be better for cold conditions because wax becomes solid on frost and you can see the white lines when the leather folds. So the cream penetrates the leather better.

9. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

Cannon snuff...
    [​IMG]

10. Casablanca

Casablanca Member

Hello All and Happy New Year.
    I feel it a good time to report on my Loake progress to date. I am now up to 3 pairs from different ranges and colours, all in F width, size 8.
    My first purchase, Chester, leather soled in brown, is the best shoe I’ve worn ever. They were perfect from day 1, even though they’re from the “024 Country Last”, there is none of the expected looseness. I’ve only been able to wear them outside on a few dry days so far, but they really are a splendid shoe.
    My second purchase, a now discontinued black quarter-brogue from the Shoemaker Range called Grant, on the Legend Last is a lovely formal shoe. I’ve not had occasion to wear it for a full day as yet, since I rarely do formal occasions requiring black shoes now. It’s a polished leather shoe which looks very smart, and seems comfortable enough from the little wear I’ve given it.
    My most recent addition is a Bibury from the Lifestyle range in burgundy. Made in India on the 026 Last, it’s a fantastic looking shoe. It has a rubber inset on the sole which is of cemented construction. However, it is also the only one of the three that has taken a while to break in. That said, after a month or so of regular usage, I am very happy with it. I wear them with semi-formal clothes and have received a number of compliments on them.
    So, all in all, I’m delighted with my purchases to date and have the Epsom Brown Waxy in mind for a good winter shoe with possibly the new Chester in burgundy at a later stage. So far, I’m really happy with Loake and am delighted to be back in good shoes after a few years of cheaper purchases.

11. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Well-Known Member

No socks? [​IMG]

Good looking shoes regardless; enjoy them.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  12. lackdemnono

lackdemnono New Member

Hello!

I have recently bought my first pair of Loake shoes. The shoes are a pair of Loake 1880 Aldwych in the color dark brown. I am now going to buy a Saphir Medaille d'Or Créme 1925 and i wonder which color i should buy it in. Is the color dark brown too dark or does it fit just fine?

13. Odradek

Odradek Well-Known Member

Got any good photos of the Biburys?
    I'm tempted to buy a pair myself.

14. TheFluffer

TheFluffer Well-Known Member

Some pictures would be really appreciated! :)

15. Casablanca

Casablanca Member

As requested, please find pics of the Biburys. Obviously I'm no Lord Lichfield, but I hope they convey the richness of the burgundy colour and the neatness of the 026 last

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. zarkov

zarkov Well-Known Member

Dark brown or Havana will both do fine. It's not exactly paint we're talking about here.

17. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

What I like about the Bibury's (apart from their looks) is that the vamp is made of calf. Given that a lot of the shoe is made of corrected grain, this is a really good feature. It stops the vamp from developing the 'cracked' look that can happen with corrected grain. I think I need to get a pair of these!

18. Odradek

Similar to my old Loake Woodstocks.
    Sold them but may buy another, better fitting pair sometime.

[​IMG]

First saw the Bibury on this Korean shoe blog, and decided they were a pretty cool, and relatively low cost option.
    Since I have burgundy Loake Strands, and burgundy Allen Edmonds Sheltons, it's a bit hard to justify at the moment.

For some reason I can't link to their very nice photos, or post them here.
    http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?...egoryNo=20&viewDate=&currentPage=1&listtype=0

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  19. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

I think the Woodstocks look really good, too. Unfortunately, for me, they are G fitting and too wide. I love the colour scheme, too. I'm not sure why Loake don't make the Woodstocks in the F fitting, as well. They are one of Loake's most colourful shoes.

20. Odradek

Yes.
    My Woodstocks were great, but bought online at a time when I was just discovering decent shoes, and wasn't too sure of my proper size. Hence they were half a size too big, and being a G fitting didn't help either.
    Sold them on e-bay after a year for 50% of what I'd paid. Not too bad.