1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

^^ ae leather quality seems some what superior than loake.

2. Staffer18283

Staffer18283 Well-Known Member

Agreed - its difficult to tell the difference at the start but over a period of time, the AE leather seems to hold up better. Loake has somewhat more attractive lasts though.

3. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

I've just bought my second pair of Loakes. My first were their excellent Chesters and the new ones are burgundy Strands. The latter have a wonderful colour and shape. Beautiful shoes. Just three observations.

1. I found that I was a UK 8.5 in the Strands. I have other shoes that are 9' and 10's.
    2. I decided to use a very thin layer of Collonil Creme de Luxe, before I went out in the Strands. I was surprised how dirty the cloth was after I had gently buffed them. I have read that shoes can get dusty in the warehouses in which they are stored. I plan to do a quick buffing with any other new shoes I buy.
    3. All my shoes (with the exception of one pair), need an arch support in them. This includes the Chesters and Strands. However, a cheap pair of medallion shoes from Samuel Windsor, fit perfectly, without shoe supports. These shoes are something of an enigma. They are always offered at a 'sale' price of about £40, 'reduced from £100'. I have never seen them offered fot £100. However, they are made of calf leather and are Goodyear welted. They are probably the most comfortable shoes I have worm. With the use of a range of brown creams, I have reduced their rather bilious tan to a much more attractive brown.

Any comments on these points would be welcome. Sorry if some of these points have already been addressed; I tried, but failed, to read through the whole of the thread.

4. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

@Munky, congraz on the Strand, I have the same pair.

there isn't much to comment on your 3 points though as to I have never received a pair of dusty shoes, since dust don't get inside closed boxes.

5. Odradek

Odradek Well-Known Member

I too have burgundy Strands, and though I wear a 7 in the Capitol last, and other UK shoes, when it comes to American sizes, I take an 8.5D for my MacNeils and Sheltons.
    I also used Colonil on my Strands prior to wearing them the first time, but didn't notice any dust issue.

I'm curious about the Samuel Windsor shoes as I've often see them advertised at incredibly reasonable prices. Might be worth a gamble if they are as good as you say.

6. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

Haha Wurger, I take your point! Perhaps my pair were on display, somewhere and got dusty. It was definitely dust that came off, though and not colour.

Odradek, although Samuel Windsor don't make high end shoes, the ones I have fit very well and are very comfortable. They are definitely made of calf leather and not corrected grain. I e-mail them about this and they confirmed that they didn't use CG. I did the 'scratch test' (calf will scratch if you use your finger nail on a reasonably hidden part of the shoe; corrected grain won't scratch. Finally, they do absorb shoe cream, which corrected grain wouldn't. Finally, they really are Goodyear welted.

The Samuel Windsor shoes have a price tag on the sole - £110, despite their always been sold c £40. My wife thinks they stick these labels on just before dispatch!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Woah. You size down 1.5 from AE to loake? I thought sizing down 1 was plenty! Although I haven't yet walked in the shoes they seemed to fit okay just putting them on.

Did anyone else have the experience of sizing down more than 1 size?
    Really? Hm... Now I'm second guessing my decision to buy these shoes over the Mora 2.0 seconds. Mine are suede though and I'd been looking for suede cap toe double monks for a while. AE used to have some but doesn't right now.

I guess suede is a different animal though, so I'd be slightly less concerned about the upper quality right? It doesn't crease like calf does.

8. Odradek

No. I'm in England. I size up for American shoes.

1 person likes this.
  9. ridethecliche

Same thing haha. I was just surprised that you found you needed to go up more than 1 size from UK to US shoe size. I think 1 size difference is what I usually hear!

10. Odradek

Yes, it surprises me too.
    Have a pair of AE Quinton on the 8 last in a US size 8D, but they are only wearable after I had them stretched.

11. Lord Mulberry

Lord Mulberry Well-Known Member

I have around 6 pairs of Loakes ranging from their brand of desert boots to their Rome moccasins and some discontinued lines. They're excellent value mid range shoes which will last years

12. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

From reading through this thread, I am beginning to believe that the burgundy Strands are Loake's best shoes.

13. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Well-Known Member

Are you happy with your Cannons?

14. ridethecliche

I was waiting to hear back from Gilt about the issue before wearing them at all to be honest.

Edit: They have another pair and they'll swap them for me.

15. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Size down 1 compare to US is pretty standard for UK shoes. But everyone's feet are different.

As for leather quality, I can't tell much difference between Loake and AE personally.

16. ridethecliche

Yeah, I was just trying to figure out if loake's fit even bigger than the usual 1 size.

I think Loake's site says to size down a half size from US to UK which is ridiculous.

17. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Well-Known Member

Excellent! Hope they work out for you.

I've read mixed reviews about Loake's 1880 line, but I guess when you start buying shoes the likes of Gaziano & Girling and Crockett and Jones, anything lower tier is crap in comparison.

18. Bonney

Bonney Well-Known Member

I think Loake 1880 is great value for the money, specially some models.

I am getting confused with the sizing conversion as well, I always had in mind that UK7 was like US7.5, I think that was the conversion you could see in conversion charts, am I wrong?

1 person likes this.
  19. ridethecliche

True to a point, but I think there's a difference in finishing something properly or making it look like it was a rush job. I understand they're not going to use the most exotic leathers, that the sole will not be as expensive, the there will be several details missing, etc. But lets be honest: the shoes retail for about $300. That's not a cheap price point. It would have taken the worker 2 minutes to look at the welt and to finish it properly. I don't think that's asking for too much.

20. Odradek

Generally that's what conversion charts will say, but my experience is different.