1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wurger, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Terpo

Terpo Well-Known Member

2. Chuckie Egg

Chuckie Egg Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Aldwych & Edward [​IMG]

Been using mid-brown polish on the wingtip... think I'm going to try to take it back to a light tan [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  3. Odradek

Odradek Well-Known Member

One thing not mentioned on that Pediwear list is the 3625 Last.

One of the few mentions it gets here on SF is in this old thread, but even then there's no comparison of it to the other Loake lasts in terms of fit.

I have the Herring Reading suede captoes on this last, but got them in a G fitting, which was probably a mistake. Even with insoles thy still feel like they're slightly too wide. Only worn them a few times so might sell them.

Just wondering if anyone can compare the fit of this 3625 last to the Capital.
    Interested in a pair of Loake Strands.

4. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Well-Known Member

I have a pair of 758 suede in the 3625 last and few in the Capital, Mayfair and Swing lasts, all F fitting, and a pair in E fitting Duke last. The 3625 last on my fit seem to be tighter then all the other lasts in the F fitting, so the Capital last feel to me slightly larger. Another thing to note, but may have been my pair only, my Strands are made by a softer leather then any of my other 1880 Loakes, must have been a one off batch, or not sure if they only use this type of leather on the lighter colours

5. Odradek

Thanks

6. Odradek

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  7. SoGent

SoGent Well-Known Member

down 1 full size for US equivalent ?

8. Odradek

At least.
    I'm in Europe so can't comment much on the US equivalents, but I do have two pairs of Allen Edmonds bought from the US and they are 8.5D, and fit well.
    Usually I wear a 7.5 UK, sometimes a 7G
    With the Swing last I wear a 7. I did think them too big when I got them and also ordered a pair of 6.5. The 6.5 did fit, but I thought the 7 would probably work out more comfortable, with feet swelling during the day etc....

9. MacGuffen

MacGuffen Well-Known Member

Hello!

What would you guys recommend for stylish winter wear in a Scandinavian climate (slush, snow, icy pavements). I think I need commando soles. I like the look of these, all at different price points:

Loake Adams £205 (the only shoe): http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=7&shoeid=7288

Loake Mulligan £210: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=7&shoeid=7338

Herring Windermere £295: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=6&shoeid=4087

John Spencer Greenlands £169.5: http://www.pediwear.co.uk/johnspencer/products/6292.php

Pediwear Collection Gary Tan II £139.95: http://www.pediwear.co.uk/pediwear-collection/products/6297.php

Thanks!

10. Gbg brouge

Gbg brouge Well-Known Member

I would go for the Loake Mulligan. Stylish, storm welted, and a good price. The Windermere is a Veltschoen construction which, at least in theory, is more waterproof but it's rather dull. The Mulligan looks like an affordable version of Tricker's classic country boots but at almost half the price :)

11. Xtra

Xtra Well-Known Member

I live in Bergen, Norway and I can recommend the Herring Langdale - http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?brandid=6&catid=93&shoeid=2999.

360' storm welt and dainite rubber sole, but unfortunately not commando soles as you wanted. Imo that kind of sole (commando) is too bulky, whereas these are reasonably bulky for a shoe designed for late fall/winter wear. And in my opinion it does look better than the Mulligan. But if that is more your style, go with the Mulligan.

12. MacGuffen

Thank you both for suggestions. It's funny you say that, I'm actually from Bergen as well!

I do prefer the look of the Langdale and I don't like the look of commando soles in general, but after having read on Styleforum and elsewhere that the Dainite sole isn't really appropriate for the Scandinavian winter, I settled on commando soles. IIRC, it was because dainite soles are very hard in cold temperatures, where commando soles are softer, and therefore provide more ground-contact and friction. And thinking back to the first snowfall this week, I'm not sure how dainite soles would have performed.

However, I would like to be challenged on these thoughts. I have never worn dainite soles, so I can't speak from personal experience.

13. Gbg brouge

Anyone here with experience of the Colt last? Similar to 024 or Pennine?

14. MacGuffen

I asked the chat-guy on Herringshoes. He said that it was wider than the Capital last (which is true to size), but that you didn't need to size up or down relative to the Capital last.

15. Gbg brouge

Thanks! Sounds great, much better than the other country lasts. I have been looking at the Wharfdale for some time but the new black shortwing boot looks very tempting [​IMG]

16. Xtra

Xtra Well-Known Member

Nice! :) Always good to know that others in Bergen are also interested in learning more about menswear.

Well, YMMV, but I wore the Langdales quite a bit last winter, and they worked quite well. I do agree with you on the matter that they can be a bit "hard" in cold temperatures. I've never worn shoes with commando soles though, so I can't really compare the two.

I'm sure commando soles are a better choice for winter, but I find that they (at least on pictures) look too clunky. And as mild as the winters are in Bergen, especially considering that lasting snow is an anomaly, I think dainite soles are sufficient to handle a winter here.

But still, if you want commando soles go for the Mulligan. One thing about them - I think it's quite a big contrast between smooth leather and commando soles. I would prefer grain leather in some form. (not that good on the terminology here)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  17. pete145

pete145 New Member

I have purchased online Loake Royal Brogues in burgundy for 154 £ a few weeks ago after I tried them in their physical shop in London.
    I wear them several time and felt an excruciating pain on the side of my left foot.
    I went to see several shoemakers and they explained that the shoes were poorly built and that there was nothing to do except to try adding a Heel-piece. Despite that I'am still not able to wear them.

18. Terpo

Terpo Well-Known Member

Return them if you can.

19. wurger

wurger Well-Known Member

Pete145, where on the left side of your foot? The heel?

20. alexSF

alexSF Well-Known Member

Someone could confirm that Capital Last runs half size bigger than 026 last, as I've read here on the past?
    I'm a uk 8,5 in the 026 with a confortable/loose fit, I am an 8 in the capital, right? thanks in advance.

P.S:
    X-posted from the shoe-care thread, a patina that I did for a friend on his 1880 Berkely, process details HERE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013