1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Loafers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by itsstillmatt, Jan 6, 2009.

1. aportnoy

aportnoy Well-Known Member

The original version is classic collegiate/Yankee with a touch of Palm Bitch. I still remember a pair from college that ended being duct-taped for a month or two before tossing.

The fact that the originals are so unpopular now with so many bastardized versions and imitators is just icing on the cake. If I add the fact that Fuuma and edmorel hate it, my love simply grows stronger.

I wear them with relish and they are still as comfy as they ever were. Iconic goodness. The calf versions are great with cords.

- B

+1. I have a pair that my father gave me from the 70s that are classic black with burgundy/navy grosgrain horsebits.

They rock!

2. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

^^^ Eh. The broguing just puts a shallow glaze over the underlying hideousness.

Oh, no, my friend...they doth kicketh asseth.

[​IMG]

- B

3. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll284/shoreman1782/YumaPOV.jpg[IMG][/I]
    I like this style. Been lusting after a similar pair by Martegani. Will probably get them in shell w/ rubber soles, if/when Ron has a deal this year on mto. I think they'd be a great travel shoe. Would link a pic, but Ron's got the Wordpress site down for renovation. My other favorite style is [URL='http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=523&Product_Id=964180&Parent_Id=522&default_color=Rustic-brown']this[/URL], at Brooks Brothers, New and Lingwood, C&J, Sanders, Alfred Sargent, etc. Am not a fan of the similar versions w/ the exposed gussets. To me a loafer should be clean and simple, no tassles, no butterflys, no bits. Maybe some broguing, or a penny strap would be OK, imo

4. allreds

allreds Well-Known Member

...until you move and the side shows.

5. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Well-Known Member

Oh, no, my friend...they doth kicketh asseth. [​IMG] - B
    They certainly kicked the rest of the outfit's...[​IMG]

6. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

i like these as much as the preppy ones i posted above.

7. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

How about espadrilles?

[​IMG]

8. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, this doesn't change my mind. Loafers should look like loafers, not regular shoes that didn't come out of the oven right. They are the first-generation Z3 coupe of fine shoes.

9. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

Loafers should look like loafers.

[​IMG]

You're such a manichean, mafoo.

10. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Well-Known Member

Thanks FNB. These are a MTO EG Tewkesbury.
    Credt where credit is due. How did you come across the style? Have you, you know, actually worn them?

11. embowafa

embowafa Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, this doesn't change my mind. Loafers should look like loafers, not regular shoes that didn't come out of the oven right. They are the first-generation Z3 coupe of fine shoes.

Agreed. That's why I really like Goomba's recommendations.

12. greekonomist

greekonomist Well-Known Member

How about espadrilles?

[​IMG]

I love espadrilles, or alpargatas, in the summer. But they're not a perfect substitute for loafers. And I feel you should never pay more then 5-8 USD for them...which rules out Ben Silver.

13. voxsartoria

They certainly kicked the rest of the outfit's...[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure that I had rabbit that day.

- B

14. r_fine

r_fine Well-Known Member

I have two EG side-gusset shoes (one in edwardian and one in dark brown suede) and get pretty good use out of them. I also have the JL Campus which, like the Weston, is a nice iconic style.

Now there is a loafer I might actually like. But it is still a pair of slippers.

15. voxsartoria

I ask that you consult with Eugene at Venanzi first. Your eye is not fully trained yet.

- B

16. mafoofan

[​IMG]

You're such a manichean, mafoo.

Hmm. I was going to retort, but I don't necessarily disagree. Still, they're stupid looking shoes.

17. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I've never liked side gusset shoes either. Maybe they will be the next knit tie.

18. mafoofan

I ask that you consult with Eugene at Venanzi first. Your eye is not fully trained yet.

Unless my eyes are failing to see holes and laces strung through them, I don't think training would change much.

19. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

my personal favorite - Bontoni

[​IMG]

These are my favourites in the thread so far. I like some of EG's offerings too, and I think JM Weston has offered a nicely shaped loafer too, but can't recall either brand's model names.

I have a pair of wonderfully appalling black mock croc pointed toe loafers with contrast stitching... [​IMG]

20. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Well-Known Member

They are the first-generation Z3 coupe of fine shoes.

That's a bold statement.