1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

LL Bean + Rogues Gallery = LL Bean Signature

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TheDroog, Aug 20, 2009.

1. wannabeagiant

wannabeagiant Well-Known Member

Did the leather ranger mocs sell out today or are they backorderd because they were one of the preorder items (which I assume sold out)?

2. cbusguy

cbusguy Well-Known Member

Did the leather ranger mocs sell out today or are they backorderd because they were one of the preorder items (which I assume sold out)?

this

3. somatoform

somatoform Well-Known Member

Would be curious to hear how the shirts fit.

Biiiiiiiiiig.

Here's an email I got:

"The actual garment measurement for the Men's Madras Plaid Shirt around the chest on the XL size, is 54 inches around. The XXL measures 58 inches around. This measurement includes the box pleat on the back of the shirt."

That's huge, man, bigger than jcrew. 27" p2p for XL, 29" XXL?!

I'll have to order a Bean in L to get a jcrew XL.

4. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Well-Known Member

Biiiiiiiiiig.

Here's an email I got:

"The actual garment measurement for the Men's Madras Plaid Shirt around the chest on the XL size, is 54 inches around. The XXL measures 58 inches around. This measurement includes the box pleat on the back of the shirt."

That's huge, man, bigger than jcrew. 27" p2p for XL, 29" XXL?!

I'll have to order a Bean in L to get a jcrew XL.

[​IMG]
    That is almost as big as Brooks Brothers traditional fit! I guess they didn't change the one thing wrong with LL Bean shirts.

5. ruben

ruben Well-Known Member

^
    I like the fact that they're keeping a generous fit.
    If I read another press release/blog post about classic american maker X relaunching with a "slimmer, modern updated silhouette"...

Looking over the website I really like the stuff, just not all that thrilled with the presentation and marketing.

You're LLBean, there are a million little designers out there making their name by ripping you off.
    When you try to present your new stuff in a similar manner it makes you look safe and boring.

Also, not to be some jerk-off internet hater, but what exactly is the appeal of Rogue's Gallery?
    You see/hear lots of great stuff about the guys behind it, and they're obviously very creative

Then you see their site, and it's all large, distressed tee shirts with oversized screen printing and anchors everywhere.
    How's that different from all that tacky, over-printed cage fighting gear with skulls everywhere issued to reality television stars?

6. chenzhongbi

chenzhongbi Well-Known Member

7. graphicd

graphicd Member

^
    I like the fact that they're keeping a generous fit.
    If I read another press release/blog post about classic american maker X relaunching with a "slimmer, modern updated silhouette"...

Not trying to be contentious, but they do say on the homepage that it's a "new fit that wears closer to the body, with handsome tailoring and contemporary silhouettes"

8. Epaulet

Epaulet Well-Known Member

Oh my god, blue suede shoes are my weakness. I think that I need those Ranger Moc's.

Sorry if this was asked before - but do these run TTS?

9. chenzhongbi

Oh my god, blue suede shoes are my weakness. I think that I need those Ranger Moc's.

Sorry if this was asked before - but do these run TTS?

Some people said they run TTS, but others mentioned that they run half size large.
    You can check out their reviews from page 13.

10. chenzhongbi

I kinda dig the pocket design of their shirts. Am I the only one?

11. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Well-Known Member

I kinda dig the pocket design of their shirts. Am I the only one?

Not at all. I'm a big fan. Someone needed to pick up where J. Press has apparently been leaving off.

12. rdev

rdev Well-Known Member

I grew up with LL Bean, but when I moved from children's clothes to men's, I left them behind. Their size small is simply too big for me. I hoped the trimmer cut of the Signature line would fix that.

One of my goals was a chino sport coat. I can't get one in my size from most other stores, since few make 36S. LL Bean Signature was quite a disappointment here. They call size small "34-36" but their blazers start at 38. In other words, they don't make blazers in a size that fits their definition of small. This is in contrast with their normal line, which goes to 36S.

Outside of that, I'm not so much disappointed with the line, instead I feel I don't need the stuff. Nothing is unique enough to make me spring for it at full price. Instead, I feel like waiting for sales, or for the fall/winter line. A slimmer Bean flannel sounds very appealing.

13. StanleyVanBuren

I picked up two of their madras shirts right away because I think the patterns are great, but moreover, these will be less ubiquitous than the J. Crew we see EVERYWHERE.

Will the fit be as good? Yet to be seen. But I'd rather spend an extra $10 on alterations and have something that not every single other guy is wearing in my area. Living on the west coast, my chances of success with LLB are pretty good in this regard.

14. chenzhongbi

I picked up two of their madras shirts right away because I think the patterns are great, but moreover, these will be less ubiquitous than the J. Crew we see EVERYWHERE.

Will the fit be as good? Yet to be seen. But I'd rather spend an extra $10 on alterations and have something that not every single other guy is wearing in my area. Living on the west coast, my chances of success with LLB are pretty good in this regard.

I also like the green/blue plaid madras shirt. But it's not appealing enough to motivate me to kop it at the full price. Given that I'll need to turn it in for alterations (I donno how much it will cost to slim down the chest and probably the shoulder), I can just wait for the sale.
    BTW, since they make size smalls so large, I'm kinda mad cuz they don't provide size xs. [​IMG]

15. synovoid

synovoid Well-Known Member

looks like their S is larger than j crew's S. I really like the shirt, but not sure if it worth alterations.

16. chenzhongbi

Yeah, according to the measurents posted before, bean S=crew M

17. StanleyVanBuren

Yeah, according to the measurents posted before, bean S=crew M

This has to be an exaggeration.

Here is a shot of me wearing an LLB mainline size small:

[​IMG]

Granted the fit is not SF approved, but it isn't massively huge either. If the signature stuff is more tailored than the mainline stuff, it should at least look better than what is depicted here.

I realize it's hard to tell for sure from this shot but this is the best I have offhand.

18. BB1

BB1 Well-Known Member

BTW, since they make size smalls so large, I'm kinda mad cuz they don't provide size xs. [​IMG]
    You actually expect Bean to provide XS?!? [​IMG] J Crew provides XS because their strongest demographic is about 20 years younger than LL Bean. Not many baby boomer men could even fit their Budweiser tumor into an XS. See here.... http://www.quantcast.com/llbean.com#demographics http://www.quantcast.com/jcrew.com#demographics Additionally, baby boomer men seem to have the strongest aversion to label "extra small". That sounds so unmanly!

19. ctrlaltelite

ctrlaltelite Well-Known Member

lol @ j crew's asian demographics.

20. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

You actually expect Bean to provide XS?!? [​IMG]

J Crew provides XS because their strongest demographic is about 20 years younger than LL Bean. Not many baby boomer men could even fit their Budweiser tumor into an XS. See here....

http://www.quantcast.com/llbean.com#demographics
    http://www.quantcast.com/jcrew.com#demographics

Additionally, baby boomer men seem to have the strongest aversion to label "extra small". That sounds so unmanly!

there is 0 chance that the largest selling size for j crew is xsmall.

its probably L or XL