1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Linux Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by javyn, Jun 23, 2009.

1. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

This is where us Linux fanboys can post screenshots and have the biggest circle jerk in SF history.

I am liking Ubuntu right now.

[​IMG]

What distros do you guys run? Likes, dislikes? Wanna make this thread 20+ pages dissing Microsoft and Apple? I'm game!

In the words of Johnny Canales, "You got it, now take it away!"

2. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

I can't possibly be the only Linux user here. You guys are really missing out.

3. Hayling

Hayling Well-Known Member

Nice pic, haha. My flavor of choice is Fedora. 'Bout to upgrade to Fedora 11 soon. Also enjoy Ubuntu and FreeBSD. [​IMG]

4. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

Holy shit! If this is what Linux is like today, I'm going back!!!!!!

(Used Mandrake/Mandriva for a little while years back)

5. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Just curious, why did you decide to stay with Fedora over Ubuntu?

I made the switch from Windows back in April and haven't looked back. Granted, there were some issues moving over to a new operating system, and a new way of doing things. But once I got past that (quicker than I expected actually), it's been smooth sailing.

True, the way you do things in Linux is way different than a MS OS, but damn, the way you do things in Linux just makes logical sense.

Also really attractive to me is the fact that the commands have pretty much remained the same since the 70s.

The biggest deterrent to me finally taking the Linux plunge was fear of having to learn something new. Well, Microsoft has ensured that with Vista and 7 we are all pretty much starting from scratch and having to re-think the way we do things on the computer anyway, so why not make the right choice this time around and use a REAL operating system?

Free software, (relatively) easy to use, and the biggest kicker for me, no digital rights management!!!

6. Hayling

Hayling Well-Known Member

Well I worked as a Linux Sys Admin for a couple years and the systems I supported were mainly Red Hat. Since Fedora is pretty much identical to Red Hat it was only logical for me to install it at home because I was already very familiar with the platform.

7. larryr

larryr Well-Known Member

8. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Well I worked as a Linux Sys Admin for a couple years and the systems I supported were mainly Red Hat. Since Fedora is pretty much identical to Red Hat it was only logical for me to install it at home because I was already very familiar with the platform.
    Cool. I tried installing Redhat years and years ago, but my vid card was unsupported so I went back to Win. These were back in the days where driver issues kept people from running Linux. Now there is really no good reason not to, especially with the Vista and soon to be 7 debacles. I am quite happy with Ubuntu, but once I learn enough and feel comfortable I'd like to use Slackware. I mess around with that one virtualized. It's pretty sweet. Can't say I'm too big a fan of Linux Mint though. GUI is too much like Windows, and have to say, I really love Gnome. Gnome + Do > any craptactular "Dock"

9. Palladio

Palladio Well-Known Member

I've used Debian for about three years as my main desktop, and now prefer it to any of the alternatives for my home desktop.

10. unjung

unjung Well-Known Member

I prefer getting actual work done over installing a new OS every week.

[​IMG]

11. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

I prefer getting actual work done over installing a new OS every week. [​IMG]
    Cool so what distro do you use? The need for constant reinstalls was actually the reason I ditched Windows in the first place. BTW: Ubuntu installed in 20 minutes, no downloading of drivers to worry about, worked out of the box. I just had to enable the Nvidia drivers, and download the media codecs I use.

12. dah328

dah328 Well-Known Member

This is where us Linux fanboys can post screenshots and have the biggest circle jerk in SF history.
    Dumbass. Put NSFW in the title if you're going to post that kind of stuff outside of DT.

13. briancl

briancl Well-Known Member

Gentoo since 2004... Started with Slackware in 1997. Did the Free/OpenBSD thing for a few years in between.

14. adversity04

adversity04 Well-Known Member

I have an Ubuntu partition on both desktop and laptop....but since I've been mostly gaming lately Windows is used. Do the development work on them though [​IMG]

15. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

I have Ubuntu Dual booting with Windows 7 at home. I do my cisco emulation and networking stuff in linux but everything else in windows 7.

I'm not thrilled with Ubuntu. It's ok, but it's not as good as the hype. And I hate firefox. I run opensuse 11 and centos 5 servers at work.

Frankly, I prefer linux without the gui. It's awesome for servers. For day to day use, 7 is far better imo.

16. binge

binge Well-Known Member

17. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

This is what all my students see on the screen when I'm teaching.
    [​IMG]
    Linux Mint 13 "Maya" I gave up on Windows.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  18. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

Bump...

Just switched from Ubuntu 13.04 to the Beta 2 of Elementary. Wow. Gorgeous OS, super light, super fast. Still some stability issues with the beta which will hopefully be ironed out by the RC and full release, otherwise, loving it.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  19. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

Alright...I have a question for the Linux Experts.
    Which distro reliably runs from CD on an old 350-500Mhz 128Mb RAM PC?
    I tried DamnSmallLinux but hated it. ...any suggestions would be welcome.

Also, I don't know if this qualifies or not, but I am exploring the world of LIVE CDs which I am under the impression is using a Linux platform. no?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  20. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

No reason a live CD has to be Linux. That said, most are, yes.