• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

linen shirts?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
The new linen Charleston Shirt from Ben Silver looks nice. Here it is in blue:
549_J_R.jpg

arvi

Reaction score
i recently purchased a taupe linen spread collar with french cuffs from ben silver...don't know if i'll like it with jacket and tie come summer,but though i'd give it atry..all my others are soft collar, button cuff

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Besides as casual shirts, I make linen as dress shirts also. As a matter of fact, the most formal of shirts I make is from a very rare type of linen. Linen is available in many, many textures, weights, weaves, and stiffnesses. The one we commonly use for casual shirts is known as "handkerchief linen" and is just about as soft as linen gets. This is what it looks like:
Dcp_3851_ItalianCollarComposite01.jpg
On the other end of the shirt linen spectrum, is a rare, semi-stiff linen available in white only with a finish one could only term as "shiny". This is the linen which, with the addition of seven tons of starch, is used for making 'antique' detachable collars. Without the starch, it makes one of the most beautiful dress shirts I have ever seen. Regretfully, I have no photos of it at the present time. If you have a choice on your pure linen fabrics, try to get one woven in Ireland rather than Belgium of Chechoslovakia. Then, of course, there are the linen & cotton blends ... but that's a story for another day.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear Aaron, Not bad. What do the rest of you think of our name change? Kabbaz-Kelly Fine Custom Clothiers Drool-Inducing Shirtmakers & Haberdashers P.S. Thank you.

AskAndyAboutClothes

Reaction score
Alex: I like the new marketing slogan, but do you need to takeover a laundry service now to round out your corporate family? Drool-Inducing Shirtmakers & Haberdashers, but drool resistant, easy to clean fabrics. Andy

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear Andy,

Done that since 1990. Weekly pickup/delivery in Manhattan and FedEx pickup worldwide ... for our own shirts only.

Alex

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks Kabbaz seriously needs to invest in a new mannequin?

No. I would vote for the same thing. I've asked him, and size is a problem. Apparently most mannequins are custom made to not fit most of Kabbaz's shirts. Greyson (that's "that thing's" name) was made in a wierd size which just happens to work. Most manufacturers scrimp a bit on the shoulder size.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man .. that is a stunning shirt. I would look very good in it
smile.gif

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I would, too ... but I was good and sent it to the client.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads