1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Limited Run Double-Pronged Oak-Bark Tanned Belt - Group Buy Project with Equus Leather

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mikecch, Dec 13, 2011.

1. mikecch

mikecch Well-Known Member

Greetings to my fellow denim & leather nerds!

I'm opening an expression of interest list for a new group buy belt project!
    This time it's with a workshop in England called Equus Leather, run by cCharlie who is trained in classic english saddlery and who has been making leather crafts professionally since 1995.
    See the affiliate thread here:
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/260644/equus-leather-bridle-leather-belts-official-affiliate-thread

The belt this time around will have a little bit of a military twist to it, being a 1.5" wide hand-cut strap, fitted with a solid-brass custom double-pronged garrison-style buckle, ending with a slant edge tip.

The buckle fold will be held together by hand-sewn saddle stitching in thick, waxed irish linen threads. the edges left raw after a clean cut (i mean, really clean.)

The leather will come from Baker's tannery - their English oak-bark tanned cattlehide leather which is referred to as the russet bridle butt. The leather will be 6 mm thick (or a little more), have an incredible grain growth, and is "natural" coloured for optimal evolution with time!

[​IMG]

This is one of the very best cattlehides available in the world, undergoing a long, slow but gentle oak-bark tanning process (1 year and 1 day sitting in up to 72 of Baker's bark tanning pits) and then finished off by hand.
    Very few tanneries in the world produce leather in this old-fashioned way - it is how vegetable tanned leather used to be made.

Anyway, please do let me know if you're interested - send me a PM or e-mail me directly.
    I'm taking names for the newsletter list until New Year.

2. meso

meso Well-Known Member

Price?
    Do you have any pics of the buckle?

3. mikecch

Charlie quoted aaround 65 British pounds.
    Photos of the buckle will be available in the next newsletter update!

4. mikecch

Update on shipping costs: approx. £10 for non EU, £8 for EU and £4.80 for UK for Royal Mail International Signed for for 1 belt, with an additional £4 per extra belt.

Also, an introduction from Charlie:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  5. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

If you're going to do it via the forum can you post the details here as well? I really don't need more email clogging up my box and your last collab with Unlucky got completely FUBARED for me via that method.

6. mikecch

Most of the details are up on the top post already :)
    I'll cross-post the prototype that Charlie is working in here, as well as dates for ordering time-frame.
    So, if you're only following this thread and do not plan on e-mailing me, you won't miss out either!

Though, for more personal rantings, I really must do it via private methods, either PM or e-mail.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  7. meso

meso Well-Known Member

Yeah all this is cool story bro without pics.

1 person likes this.
  8. mikecch

^ The story is just as important - this is a group buy project for like-minded folks. I'm not simply advertising belts.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  9. mikecch

A quick follow-up...the prototype has been made!
    Here are a few pics from Charlie - the final version will look more or less the same with a couple of minor tweaks, including the appearance of the pins and the thread thickness:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's the end of the updates I'll be doing here.
    Please do PM me if you're interested; the project will close at new year.

10. whatever123

whatever123 Well-Known Member

those look amazing. wow.

11. tropics

tropics Well-Known Member

Yeah looks cool, my interest is piqued.

12. iroh

iroh Well-Known Member

the slant edge tip just ruins it, why are you so fond of that tip?

anyways my LGC belt is still going strong after 3 years, i don't need another work belt 1 is enough. however i am looking for a dress belt and if you someday decide to do a project for a 1.25" black dress belt i would definitely be interested.

13. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Well-Known Member

um, they make other belts.

you could also buy this one and spray paint it black.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  14. marg

marg Well-Known Member

pebblegrain - you never fail to make me laugh. you must have a "dumb shit" alert system, because whenever someone says some dumb shit, you're always there to let them know.

15. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Any chance of a nickel buckle?

16. mikecch

Every tip serves a specific purpose.
    The slant edge, IMO, looks quite good with a rectangular buckle.
    It also has roots in work belts and collars, so I think it fitting to go with a denim belt.

I don't think any of my project belts will ever be a dress belt nor 1.25" though...it is better to go the MTO or custom made route for that kind of belt.

No for this project, as the buckle specifically needs to adapt to a double-pin configuration.
    Brass is also the traditional saddlery colour/material to go with brown to light tan leathers.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  17. Tarmac

Tarmac Well-Known Member

I'm not even that enamored with double prongs nor slant edges. Heck I don't even like the symmetrical buckles, but if this is 6mm+ thick, I'm in. :slayer:

18. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

what's the word on this?

19. mikecch

^ Submitting orders :)
    PM me for more details!

20. mikecch

Just arrived, the final prototype of the "Military belt" project with Equus Leather before the project belts get made.
    The hand-stitch has been upgraded, some spacing aspects adjusted, and the pin is the finalised version:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still taking orders for a short while before the leather from Baker's is delivered (PM me for details) :)