1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Lightweight Chinos

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jay687, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Jay687

Jay687 Well-Known Member

It's not quite summer yet (okay, not even close really), but thinking about summer clothes and was wondering what you all did for pants.

I feel as if most chinos are a bit on thick side for a hot and humid summer day. Does anyone go for lightweight cotton chinos? Something like:

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/pants/essexpants/PRDOVR~23899/23899.jsp

The only problem I could see with these is in terms of durability of the thin cotton and if they get too easily wrinkled. Although I suppose wrinkling isn't a big deal since if I need to wear something more formal, I'll have regular chinos to grab instead of these. Plus, they probably can't be worse than something like linen.

So, what do you guys do? Buy lightweight chinos for summertime or suck it up and wear standard weight chinos?

2. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Well-Known Member

I just picked up some lightweight 5 pocket chinos from BR. Kind of essential where I am. They wrinkle, yes, but are oh so comfortable. Plus a little wrinkling adds to the casual look. Just make sure they fit well, not too baggy. My tailor took in the thigh and legs for $10.

3. crinklecut

crinklecut Well-Known Member

Brooks Brothers make a cotton-linen chino and they're my go-to pants right now. Otherwise, you could go for a more open weave - I think Bills Khakis have a poplin chino, but yeah, creasing is a problem.

4. taprice

taprice New Member

Any new suggestions for slim fitting, lightweight chinos?

I tried on a pair of Grown and Sewn chinos at Haberdash in Chicago a few weeks ago. Great pants. They were cut like jeans. The material was super thin, which is what I need for the New Orleans summer. Unfortunately, they were $200. For me, a bit much for casual, cotton pants.

Edit: Sorry if I placed this in the wrong thread. I'm new here. I came to the thread via a search, but I'm probably looking more for "streetwear" light chinos than "classic menswear" chinos.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  5. pendragon

pendragon Well-Known Member

Saw a very nice pair by Rag & Bone in Barney's the other day. If it weren't for the $300 price tag...

6. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

Ralph Lauren Tissue Chinos are under $100.

7. ylkim30

ylkim30 Well-Known Member

I like Bill's Khakis poplin chinos. I have the M2 model, but if you need a trimmer fit, they also have the M3 slim fit.