• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

light grey vs charcoal trousers

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really depends on the jacket you're wearing/what's in your wardrobe. A dark jacket will look better with light grey pants, and a light colored jacket will look better with charcoal pants.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Light grey is my choice.

What colors don't go with light grey? To answer my own question ... light grey doesn't work as a shirt ... that would be a rather washed-out "Regis" look.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight
What about light grey in winter weight flannel? Also to go slightly off topic, what about off white trousers in winter weights?

Great, IMO.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can never understand these questions. Its like whether a medium gray suit is better or navy ? Both are excellent and should find a place in a man's wardrobe amongst the basics. Regarding light grey flannel, I think these look great
pants_2010_fall_wool_vbc340gflannel_lightgray_2_large.jpg
I like almost white trousers for winters as well. I believe the color is called winter white by some designers. Example http://www.howardyount.com/collectio...m-cotton-pants

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Can never understand these questions. Its like whether a medium gray suit is better or navy ? Both are excellent and should find a place in a man's wardrobe amongst the basics.
I interpret it to be more a question about preference. Do I have a preference -- however slight -- for one over another? Few things are equal.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Can never understand these questions. Its like whether a medium gray suit is better or navy ? Both are excellent and should find a place in a man's wardrobe amongst the basics.

Regarding light grey flannel, I think these look great

pants_2010_fall_wool_vbc340gflannel_lightgray_2_large.jpg

I like almost white trousers for winters as well. I believe the color is called winter white by some designers.

Example
http://www.howardyount.com/collectio...m-cotton-pants

I have a pair of almost white (they actually look "winter white") winter trousers in a wool&cashmere mix, by Pal Zileri. They are great.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Archivist
Charcoal has the advantage of being darker, where light grey is of course not as dark as charcoal, which is an advantage if you are looking for a lighter color. A nice medium grey is a balance between light and dark.

A last word made with mescal rather than gin has lovely smokey flavor.

But conversely, charcoal has the disadvantage of not being lighter, while light grey has the disadvantage of not being darker. Medium grey has half of each disadvantage combined, but half of each advantage combined too, so it all evens out into bland nothingness. But of course there are no black-and-white answers here ... it's all a grey area. Good thing I own three pair of grey pants.

Originally Posted by Master-Classter
light grey looks better when it's matched properly, but that's not always easy to do, and it's limited to summer-ish weather. Charcoal is more versatile but doesn't really have any starring role, it just supports.

ninja edit - I live in canada... so light grey trousers generally get packed away around fall weather

ninja reply ... I live in Canada too and my trousers have the same fate as yours. Ditto on the rest, too, eh.

Ivar

Reaction score
Mid grey>Charcoal>Light grey

satisfied.gif

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Light grey gives more opertuinity for contrast, between coat and trou.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is weird I wear light gray in the winter only, basically because I sweat through them in the summer. Charcoal I think can pretty much go with anything and it looks sharper and cleaner than light gray. My light grays get dirty really easily and I find myself having to send them to the cleaners more often, which I don't like.

echau

Reaction score
I voted light grey, not light as in almost white, but closer to medium grey.
I like charcoal pants as well, as long as they're not so dark, they're practically black.
Really prefer, the in-between, medium grey.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a pair of winter weight light grey trousers similar to the ones in the pic posted by aj_del...mine may be just a tad darker, but not much. I definitely plan on wearing these in winter, I'm not too concerned with the "light grey only in summer" rule.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked charcoal. Light grey just doesn't work with that many skin tones, IMO. It also encourages the dreaded "security guard" lok when paired with a blazer, which is my default use for grey trousers of any kind.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Anticipation for the results of this poll gives me chills.

I hope that there is no wagering, lest that for which this thread stands becomes corrupted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads