1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Levis 501 new fit

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by intelintel37, Nov 19, 2008.

1. TeeKay

TeeKay Well-Known Member

Hey everyone!
    So, I'm looking for a cut similar to that of the 514s (slim straight) but with a slimmer knee. I've heard that 501s stf's are what I'm looking for. My actual size is 30x32, and can't decide between 31x34 and 30x34. I know that the levis site recommends sizing up 1inch on the waist, but some people have told me that staying true to size on the waist isn't a bad idea - it'll end up fitting better because the waist will stretch and mold a bit. it's also worth noting that i may be slightly slimmer than a 30inch waist (i wear belts).

has anyone had a good experience with staying true to size on the waist for stf's?
    thanks

I sized them TTS. If you size them so that the waist more-or-less fits how you would normally wear them, that's what you should go with. However, make sure to go long on the inseam as they shrink quite a bit. For reference I normally wear 32 X 30 and I went 32 X 34 on STFs.

Also, 501s do not have a slim knee.

2. catlettsl

catlettsl Well-Known Member

Is it just me......501 seem to have very baggy/wide hips on there jeans. Has anyone else had this issue?

3. dlebowski

dlebowski Member

Is it just me......501 seem to have very baggy/wide hips on there jeans. Has anyone else had this issue?
    I think the problem is predicting the proper size after shrink. If you do it right, they won't flare. It took me a couple of tries. I practiced on the regulars before getting selvedge.

4. turnbull12

turnbull12 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the weight of the new selvedge STFs? In general, I've noticed that Levis has been using lighter denim for their STFs and I'm wondering if this holds true for the new selvedge 501s.

I guess my second question is where can I get my hands on older pairs of new, regular STFs that don't use this lighter denim?

5. catlettsl

The pair I have is a pre-wash. I was thinking if I went down a size that might help the ass and hip area not be so baggy/wide.....but they would have to stretch out some in the waist.

So you have noticed that they can be a little full in the hips?

6. catlettsl

The pair I have is a pre-wash. I was thinking if I went down a size that might help the ass and hip area not be so baggy/wide.....but they would have to stretch out some in the waist.

So you have noticed that they can be a little full in the hips

7. Suave

Suave Well-Known Member

8. dlebowski

dlebowski Member

Does anyone know the weight of the new selvedge STFs? In general, I've noticed that Levis has been using lighter denim for their STFs and I'm wondering if this holds true for the new selvedge 501s.
    Honestly I can't tell the difference in the denim, in terms of the weight, between pairs of each I've bought within the past 6 months. The selvedge seem to hold onto their color much better - which could be a point against them, depending on your goals.

9. dlebowski

dlebowski Member

So you have noticed that they can be a little full in the hips

After shrinking (I know you said yours were not STF), mine were snug around the waist, with no hip flare. Sitting was a bit uncomfortable, but they were sized pretty much to my waist. After a few wears, the waist stretched out, but the hips stayed fine.

10. anonymouz

anonymouz Well-Known Member

11. yayorc

yayorc Well-Known Member

12. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

these came in: http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp...210660.2067884

tagged 34 inseam, actual inseam 38 (!!). they're not raw so i don't think they'll shrink enough
    if anyone's interested in them, let me know...otherwise i'm gonna have to return them

Saw these in-store in Las Vegas. Tried on the 34 waist, as I normally wear, and they were freakin' huge. Not a fan, and yeah - the inseam is ridiculous.

13. ev01ut10ndt

ev01ut10ndt Well-Known Member

Saw these in-store in Las Vegas. Tried on the 34 waist, as I normally wear, and they were freakin' huge. Not a fan, and yeah - the inseam is ridiculous.

I ordered the same thing, and was forced to do a very hot soak for 30 min. It shrank nicely, so that i could cuff them without it looking ridiculous. Still a bit long since I wear only a 30 inseam for dress pants. It fits more like a standard 34 now from what I can tell.

14. Froosh

Froosh Well-Known Member

I went to the store today to try out the Levi's 501. Am I right to assume that whatever size I fit for the prewashed/preshrunk 501s (there were no 501stfs to try on) will be the size I also order for the 501stf but with a 2-3" longer inseam?

In preshrunk 501s a size 32 waist fit me snug, I had to suck in my gut to button it up and the thighs and butt were pretty tight. They almost fit like a Gap Authentic sized down. It was almost hard to sit down in them. 33 was easy to button and comfortably roomy in the thighs and butt. If I went with a 32 stf would these stretch out enough to be comfortable, or should I go for 33 stf?

Thanks in advance!

15. dlebowski

dlebowski Member

I went to the store today to try out the Levi's 501. Am I right to assume that whatever size I fit for the prewashed/preshrunk 501s (there were no 501stfs to try on) will be the size I also order for the 501stf but with a 2-3" longer inseam?

In preshrunk 501s a size 32 waist fit me snug, I had to suck in my gut to button it up and the thighs and butt were pretty tight. They almost fit like a Gap Authentic sized down. It was almost hard to sit down in them. 33 was easy to button and comfortably roomy in the thighs and butt. If I went with a 32 stf would these stretch out enough to be comfortable, or should I go for 33 stf?

Thanks in advance!

I buy STF's true to size. The fit before I wash them allows a finger or two to fit comfortably in the waist. They shrink to be a little tight, but stretch out after a few wears.

So, I do not size up when I buy them - despite what some tell you to do. I buy them essentially true to size in the waist.

16. Froosh

Froosh Well-Known Member

Thanks dlebowski. The 33's pretty much fit your description, but won't the eventual stretching make them much too loose causing them to sag?

17. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Well-Known Member

Thanks dlebowski. The 33's pretty much fit your description, but won't the eventual stretching make them much too loose causing them to sag?

They shrink first, then stretch back to what they were before they shrunk.

18. Froosh

Froosh Well-Known Member

Ok. I was worried they would stretch out to more than preshrunk size but I guess not. Thanks for the help!

19. pandamonium

pandamonium Well-Known Member

Ok. I was worried they would stretch out to more than preshrunk size but I guess not. Thanks for the help!

While they're no APCs, the waist does stretch a little with wear. I sized down two because of the incredibly baggy thighs on these puppies - then wore them during the soaking and drying, stretching them by hand when nearly dry. They were perfect in the body after but killed me in the waist for about two weeks. I'm now at week four and the waist has stretched .5-1 inch.

But hey, if the thighs and knee openings don't look like Hammer pants on you, go tts - if they ever feel a little bit just wear a belt.

20. Froosh

Froosh Well-Known Member

Sized down two... I can't even imagine how much that would hurt. How were you even able to button them up? Have the thighs and seat stretched out as much as the waist?