• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levis 501 new fit

shaftoe

Reaction score
33x36, hot soaked and put in the drier. 33 is my natural waist.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hot soaked and put in the dryer?! Why did you put them in the dryer? In my experience that makes the creasing/fading in 501s almost impossible.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Munchy
I went to the local Levi's store here in Montreal and they had some STF jeans BUT they were all shorter lengths like 32 inseam...

I found some 36x32 which were tag as pre-shrunk but has the UPC code of STF but the inseam scares me... The salesman said that the inseam should shrink only slightly when I wash???

Secondly they didn't mention 501xx anywhere and had a leather patch instead of the paper-y one I see in pics online... What gives?

these might have been lvc

shaftoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Hot soaked and put in the dryer?! Why did you put them in the dryer? In my experience that makes the creasing/fading in 501s almost impossible.

The dryer made them shrink more. They were not stiff, but normal wear creases them just fine. You can see the way the combs are set that there's no problem there. All the normal spots are creased and fading from a month of intermittent wear. YMMV.

Big Muscle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by underwearer
Big Muscle you should check out APC NS they have a slight taper but wear like a straight leg.
Thanks. Although I have never heard of this, I will check it out.

Today I've found on eBay some straight leg Levi's 521 with 20 cm leg opening. Or I could check slim fit Levi's 512 (they should have 20.5 cm leg opening for 36w). But does anyone have them and could he tell me what kind of outseam does they have? That flat one (501s have such) looks much better on turnups.

sle-z-e

Reaction score
just picked up a pair of stf's at a levi's outlet. they didn't have the size i needed (31x36) so uh i had to bump it up to 32x38... mistake? probably but for $25 plus the cost of a hem, i'm not too worried. most guys who i work with in the lumberyard aren't too concerned with fit so i don't think i'll be judged too harshly
smile.gif

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sle-z-e
just picked up a pair of stf's at a levi's outlet. they didn't have the size i needed (31x36) so uh i had to bump it up to 32x38... mistake? probably but for $25 plus the cost of a hem, i'm not too worried. most guys who i work with in the lumberyard aren't too concerned with fit so i don't think i'll be judged too harshly
smile.gif

picked up a pair of Verde STF from Amazon. Tried the advice here of going with my natural waist.

On second day of wair, after my 20 min warm water bath, and I'm glad I went with my natural waist size. Helluva nice color on these IRL.

garmis

Reaction score
wow shaftoe those look great. based on your specs maybe I should go 34x36. thanks for the post!

CyanideDragon

Reaction score
Anyone pick up the STF in black? I'm tempted since they got my size on Shelpers.

G. Mann

Reaction score
Okay, I just had my first go at this... I bought 34 x 34, trying to end up with 34 waist and 32 inseam. After soaking for a couple of hours, the overall fit was pretty good... waist is just tight enough that it seems like it will stretch back out correctly. The only problem is that the length didn't shrink nearly as much as I expected; it looks almost like they're still 34. I put them on wet and have been wearing them around, and it seems like there's still a good bit of dye coming out, I get smurf fingers just touching them. Should I:
1. Do another hot soak right away before wearing them again, hoping to shrink the inseam more and leave everything else the same?
2. Wear them for a week or two before soaking again?
3. Just assume they are what they are at this point and count on hemming them?

I'm open to suggestions that may not have occurred to me. Thanks for any input!

Cheers,
G

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by G. Mann
Okay, I just had my first go at this... I bought 34 x 34, trying to end up with 34 waist and 32 inseam. After soaking for a couple of hours, the overall fit was pretty good... waist is just tight enough that it seems like it will stretch back out correctly. The only problem is that the length didn't shrink nearly as much as I expected; it looks almost like they're still 34. I put them on wet and have been wearing them around, and it seems like there's still a good bit of dye coming out, I get smurf fingers just touching them. Should I:
1. Do another hot soak right away before wearing them again, hoping to shrink the inseam more and leave everything else the same?
2. Wear them for a week or two before soaking again?
3. Just assume they are what they are at this point and count on hemming them?

I'm open to suggestions that may not have occurred to me. Thanks for any input!

Cheers,
G

inseam should have shrank at least 2 inches. They will shrink more with another soak but the dye is so crappy and starch is so light it will be hard to get creases and fades what not.

sle-z-e

Reaction score
Originally Posted by G. Mann
Okay, I just had my first go at this... I bought 34 x 34, trying to end up with 34 waist and 32 inseam.

Stocky fella aren't ya

changed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CyanideDragon
Anyone pick up the STF in black? I'm tempted since they got my size on Shelpers.

I've been wearing them in black since October. They've progressed infinitely better than the Nudies that were my first raw pair.

Don't expect much fading though. The black holds its color forever.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads