1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Levi 514 Selvedge

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by wcarson89, Jan 29, 2010.

1. BlueWord

BlueWord Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm pretty certain these aren't raw, they weren't stiff enough. Mine shrunk slightly from washing, but the leg opening continues to be too big for my liking. The 514 cut, in general is a little bit too loose from the knee down, I hope Levi's puts it through a revision at some point (and lengthens the rise!).

2. wqvong

wqvong Well-Known Member

Hey guys, Just got these in for 62.00$. Not bad, a little loose in the thigh area, but overall what I expected for Levis 514 cut. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I just tuck in the excess length, I'm 30 inseam. Fit pics: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Flambeur

Flambeur Well-Known Member

Tuck is kind of weird.. Are you going to hem? I just wear mine cuffed right now..

Also mine look way skinnier and less tapered on me... Hmm

4. wqvong

wqvong Well-Known Member

Tuck is kind of weird.. Are you going to hem? I just wear mine cuffed right now..

Also mine look way skinnier and less tapered on me... Hmm

Yea, I'm going to hem the pants. Waist wise, I can barely button it. The rest is a little loose, but its okay.

5. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

That looks great to me, not too trim, but trim enough.

Are you doing the shrink-to-fit before you hem? I did that with my RRL slims and found that I didnt need to hem anymore, but instead only needed a 2" turnup. (which i like better then a hem). No longer needed a 4" turnup that i started with.

Great boots also.

6. Dexter_

Dexter_ Well-Known Member

so youre saying that this denim wont shrink after soaking?
    I tried them on and they felt great, only theyre not as stiff as other "premium" but the fit just a bit big, especially in the leg opening, i thought i can get it like how i wanted by soaking them before wearing them..
    so this wont work eh? please someone respond before i buy them.. thanks guys

I can't say for certain since I decided to pass on this one for now but below is your answer about the shrinkage:

Yeah, I'm pretty certain these aren't raw, they weren't stiff enough. Mine shrunk slightly from washing, but the leg opening continues to be too big for my liking. The 514 cut, in general is a little bit too loose from the knee down, I hope Levi's puts it through a revision at some point (and lengthens the rise!).

7. bundestaag

bundestaag Member

8. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

Edit: I'm new to this, so I can't tell what I'm doing correctly or incorrectly trying to post these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. evilbananas

evilbananas Well-Known Member

^How did you size them? They look pretty tight, I believe they are suppose to be an anti-fit.

10. notwithit

^Hey, they posted!

These are size 29, and I'd normally get size 30. This was my second day time wearing them, and they've already stretched a good amount, so I'm thinking this is probably the right size if I want to be able to wear them without a belt.

Also, these are 514s, which Levi's calls a slim straight fit; I believe it's the 501s that are supposed to be a boxier anti-fit.

11. Biggie_Robs

Biggie_Robs Well-Known Member

Jeans' fit look great. I'd cuff 'em, but that's me.

12. notwithit

Jeans' fit look great. I'd cuff 'em, but that's me.

Thanks! It'll be a few more days before I'm ok with wearing them out of the house, but I'm starting to like them already. 514s are a solid cut, and I'm glad Levi's started making them in more accommodating sizes and using selvage denim.

I'm still debating cuffs. I kind of like the length without them, but I also wouldn't mind cuffing them. They actually come cuffed at about 1" when you buy them, or at least the pair I got did.

13. notsure2505

notsure2505 Member

Where did you get them for 62?

Hey guys,

Just got these in for 62.00$. Not bad, a little loose in the thigh area, but overall what I expected for Levis 514 cut.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just tuck in the excess length, I'm 30 inseam.
    Fit pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. topcatny

topcatny Well-Known Member

Where did you get them for 62?

All 514's were 30% off in the Levi's store last week. I got them for $68.60. Not all 514's were on sale on their website however. The person I spoke to in the store said they do not match the web prices, I am not sure if the web site will match their store pricing. I haven't checked to see if the sale is still going on.

15. Alex C

Alex C Well-Known Member

16. anateus

anateus New Member

I snagged a pair of these for $40 on eBay. They're my first pair of selvedge jeans, so I really can't compare them to anything in terms of quality.

The feel and sturdiness of the fabric is definitely superior to that of my 501s. It manages to be similar in weight while feeling thinner.

The fit is only slightly slimmer up on top than the 501, but it goes down nice and slim, so when I cuff them, they're about half as wide as my 501s.

Pretty ok for a first post I think? :>

17. 604Coast

604Coast Well-Known Member

Quick note to add to this thread. I picked up two pairs of 514 raw denim from the downtown Seattle Levi's store for 35$ each. They wanted 100$ for the super dark wash but the ones I have are slightly more grey and quite dark still...definitely a better buy at a third of the price.

18. mbomb

mbomb Member

I'd strongly recommend these. Good quality + good price. I'm wearing them now.

19. polarcreamsoda

polarcreamsoda Well-Known Member

anyone know where i can pick up a pair of these now?

20. justin526

justin526 Well-Known Member