1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Lets talk about COFFEE

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Flambeur, Dec 2, 2009.

1. scottcw

scottcw Well-Known Member

I use a Behmor to roast 1/2 to 1 lb at a time. I place it near the exhaust fan for my stove and run the fan during roasting and for a couple hours after. No smoke issues, but I can definitely smell the roasted coffee.

1 person likes this.
  2. rydenfan

rydenfan Well-Known Member

I bought a pound of that Hawaiian recently abd was very impressed as well

1 person likes this.
  3. shibbel

shibbel Well-Known Member

I've only ever had smoke issues when getting into second crack territory with beans that are better with an espresso type roast. Other than that, like scottcw mentioned, when you're only going for one crack, all you really smell is the delightful odor of roasting coffee.

4. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

5. indesertum

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  6. pfurey

pfurey Well-Known Member

I'm using a Behmor 1600. It took a few roasts (alright, maybe 15 or so) until I was able to start roasting coffee I considered good. At this point, I'm about 50 roasts in, and I'm able to dial in what I like really well and prefer my roasts to Blue Bottle, CCC, etc. Sweet Marias for beans.

Not even a little bit, but I rarely roast into second crack. If you're roasting dark coffee, there's more smoke, but it's still not bad. My overhead kitchen fan on low would more than take care of it.

3 people like this.
  7. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

got a pound from upright in greenpoint - good coffee :nodding:

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

9. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

i got bored at kidz hockey practice & a guy suggested it - it's a couple of minutes away. saw propeller & champion(?:confused:) on the way - do you know them?

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I know the owner of Propeller. Nice relaxing space. Serves Toby's Estate coffee. I'm not there that often as it is a bit of a hike and there's no way I am riding the G to get coffee.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  11. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I'm going to start researching again too, as there are some new options since I last did this (~5 years ago).

I was getting beans from Sweet Marias as well. It's convenient enough, since it ships from 40 miles from where I live (assuming they haven't moved).

12. scottcw

scottcw Well-Known Member

Still in Oakland, right across the bay. Takes a day to show up after my order. I only get coffee in a shop or cafe when I travel now. Even then, I prefer to pack my Aeropress and some beans I roasted myself over taking my chances with local coffee.

13. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Currently enjoying a Jamaican Blue Mountain from Philz... Definitely the best coffee I've gotten here, but not all that.

14. indesertum

yeah I'm generally not a big fan of jamaican blue or hawaiian beans. unless the roast itself is dialed in well and itself is interesting it just kinda tastes bland to me. maybe i haven't developed that "sophisticated euro palate" yet. maybe not bland but just not that interesting

15. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge fan of the Jamaican stuff, I just had to try it once.

Kona coffees can be hit or miss. My favorite was one that I picked up at the plantation in person. It was basically a Full City roast of the estate peaberry from Greenwell Farms (I highly recommend their tour if you're ever in the area -the tasting patio is an added bonus). Good stuff, but not really worth the price is you're paying to have it shipped from Hawaii).

16. indesertum

next time I'm in hawaii ill check em out. the ones I've had so far (even in hawaii) just were not worth the price. definitely great quality tho (but also kind of uninteresting)

17. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Fair enough. There was another good one too, Lions Gate, as I recall. They sponsored a race I did out of Kona, so I got a 1/2 pound bag as part of the goodie bag for the race. I actually tend to prefer coffees from Sumatra, Sulawesi, Bali, etc... Another one I like that a lot of people can't stand is India Monsooned Malabar (home roasted and all).

18. indesertum

i don't think I've actually had Indian coffee (or sulawesi or bali). sumatras sometimes really hit the spot. I also prefer the sumatras I've had over pretty much any java i've had. similar character but theres this nice complexity and depth to the sumatra coffees

19. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

All the Indonesian coffee I've tried tastes like dirt. Maybe I'm not doing it right.

20. RikBe

RikBe Member

If you really want to warm up and since it is "à propos" with the Olympics, try a Russian Coffee using your own favorite freshly brewed coffee.
    Just add vodka (I use Smirnoff kissed caramel flavor) with a bit of brown sugar (or not if your vodka is already sweet) and top with, off course, whipped cream! Delicious Oh! And can also bring you xtra ssss...sweetness for valentine's day ;) But don'T forget to brush your teeth afterwords!!!!! Cheers!