• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Could be the opposite. I use a paper filter fine grind and maybe its for something else?

Um, isn't paper filter grind supposed to be medium-grained and nowhere nearly as fine epsresso-ground coffee?

Anyway, I don't have a normed tablespoon (I think), but when I measure 1T of my espresso fine-ground coffee, it weighs about 3-4g. If I press it a little, I can nearly fit 5g on it. 1T of salt is about 15g, so that fits perfectly. Maybe they relabeled the scoop from "Salt Measuring Scoop" to "Coffee/Tea Measuring Scoop"?

I just finished my bag of Indian Monsooned Malabar. Now I'm into Fausto's Napoli. "For fans of south-Italian coffee".. damn, that stuff is strong. Too strong. Far stronger than, say, Caffè New York. It's even too strong for Cappuccos (imo). Maybe I'll try to dump the first 2-3 seconds, that probably helps.

Last edited:

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, this is a liquid coffee scoop?

Based on Matt's post, my guess is that the package designer was being sloppy, and probably just Googled "1 Tbsp to grams" or something, and put the first thing that appeared without thinking about it.

This unexpectedly came in the mail from a client in London. First shot was awful. Dialed in about 4th shot. Takes a few shots after that to get used to the taste and figure out what all is going on with the flavor profiles since I'm used to a very different style of espresso.
Wendelboe wants to bring out the natural sweetness in his beans. It's like eating something spicy and you don't get the spiciness immediately but it builds in a minute or so. 30 seconds after you finish a shot this sweet finish builds. After a few more shots I'm realizing how fantastic this is and how unique and then the bag is finished. Never had any espresso like this. Don't know if I'll ever get more of this but it was really good. It would be my go to espresso bean if it was more accessible. Shipped to USA from his online store it's $105.00 including VAT. Even the packaging was unique and of a higher quality.
His website is an excellent source, he blogs a lot about his experience.

Thanks for the report. It sounds like his reputation is well-deserved. One of our best new coffee shops in town is using the espresso blend from Populace, and is seemingly incapable of pulling a bad shot. So far, of the 7 or so shots I've had from at least 4 different baristas, maybe one might have been marginal (meaning less than very good), but the others have been very good, especially if you like the 3rd wave style of sweet, tangy espresso. The other shops in town either have a faceless, bland espresso, or get only about 40 percent of the shots better than below average (using Verve). They do have a Strada, but the baristas don't seem to know about its special features, so I'm blaming the beans for their success.

It may be worth checking out, since Populace in Michigan is more accessible than Wendleboe.

Another interesting revelation with this shop is how great affogato can be with the right espresso. Previously, I thought it was a waste of coffee and ice cream, but that was because I only had some done with bad restaurant espresso (ashy, bitter, overextracted crap). With an acidic espresso, the tanginess of the coffee really balances and complements the creaminess of the ice cream making something that's greater than the sum of its parts.

Last edited:

CDHagg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
This unexpectedly came in the mail from a client in London. First shot was awful. Dialed in about 4th shot. Takes a few shots after that to get used to the taste and figure out what all is going on with the flavor profiles since I'm used to a very different style of espresso.
Wendelboe wants to bring out the natural sweetness in his beans. It's like eating something spicy and you don't get the spiciness immediately but it builds in a minute or so. 30 seconds after you finish a shot this sweet finish builds. After a few more shots I'm realizing how fantastic this is and how unique and then the bag is finished. Never had any espresso like this. Don't know if I'll ever get more of this but it was really good. It would be my go to espresso bean if it was more accessible. Shipped to USA from his online store it's $105.00 including VAT. Even the packaging was unique and of a higher quality.

drool.gif

Reminds me of the best bag of espresso I ever had... it was basically raspberry, cream, and dark chocolate in a cup (I hesitate to use the term "flavor notes" because the flavors were so strong). It was expensive, but so deliciously worth it!

Anyway, I know what I want for my birthday! ^^^

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DC - no Stumptown or Intelligentsia near me.. who would you recommend?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yoyooyoyoyo

there's a starbucks on m street??? that has a clover machine. every time i go to DC i make it known that i really want to go to that starbucks, but sadly things never happen the way i want it too

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DC - no Stumptown or Intelligentsia near me.. who would you recommend?

Try Counterculture, but I have to say that trying to buy "grail" coffee for a coffee person is like someone who doesn't know clothes trying to buy clothes for an SF person. They'll either know what they like already and have it, or they'll hate it.

DressedWell

Reaction score
What is a good grocery store coffee? I like darker roasts because they are sweet, and black without any cream or sugar. Any recommendations? I do not like folgers.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

$105? Better be able to do my taxes as well. Sounds interesting.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

yoyooyoyoyo
there's a starbucks on m street??? that has a clover machine. every time i go to DC i make it known that i really want to go to that starbucks, but sadly things never happen the way i want it too

I was working on a project recently and I was away from my usual work coffee setup. I got a clover coffee from Starbucks every day. I thought it was pretty good. Better than the rest of the menu. The exotic single origins were not bad at all.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Try Counterculture, but I have to say that trying to buy "grail" coffee for a coffee person is like someone who doesn't know clothes trying to buy clothes for an SF person. They'll either know what they like already and have it, or they'll hate it.

I told my mother a long time ago to stop buying me clothes for christmas. I told her if she feels inclined, to just get me underwear. She even manages to screw that up. I mean what am I going to do with all of these thongs? :confused:

Last edited:

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yea, he drinks Wings of the Morning Kona Coffee almost exclusively.. perhaps I get him a gift card to wholelattelove and call it a day.

Last edited:

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yea, he drinks Wings of the Morning Kona Coffee almost exclusively.. perhaps I get him a gift card to wholelattelove and call it a day.

The staff at Counterculture are supposed to be very good. Tell them what he likes, and maybe they can recommend something, but a gift card sounds like a better idea.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads