• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk about COFFEE

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Boy is my face red. I went to roast my next batch this morning and realized that my last roast was not Gesha, but Ethiopia Yrgacheffe meant to be roasted to 2nd crack. The notes say, "Wild, spicy, individual nature" which I tasted as effervescent.

Glad that I didn't butcher the Gesha like I thought. I did roast the Gesha this morning, still a little over (16.5%), but acceptable.

Good thing you're not somehow publicizing your mistakes to the world. :happy::embar:

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good thing you're not somehow publicizing your mistakes to the world. :happy::embar:

I am way ahead if confusing which varietal of coffee I roasted is the worst mistake of mine that the world knows about.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I just took delivery of this stuff:

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, it doesn't. I did have one that was decent, but definitely not worth the price.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This BM is good, but the stuff that they brought back for me several years ago was by far the finest coffee I have ever drank.

I do not roast my own, but I do have a roaster that will roast me whatever/however I ask them....the only downside is that I have to buy 5 lbs at a time.

My normal coffee is from Ancora. They are a small Avant Garde sort of roaster down the road from me in Madison WI.

http://www.ancoracoffee.com

My father paid around 23 USD per lb in Jamaica. I am drinking this coffee right now and feel that price is a steal for this stuff.

My wife is from the Paciifc Northwest, her family has a small beach house on Puget Sound. And when we go to Olympia we visit many of the coffee houses mentioned in this thread. Point being, I would not pay $60 per lb for the JBM I have pictured, but I would pay 30....

The moral of the story: If you ever go on a holiday to Jamaica...kop you some.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Point being, I would not pay $60 per lb for the JBM I have pictured, but I would pay 30....

The moral of the story: If you ever go on a holiday to Jamaica...kop you some.

Not at that price. I can get all my green coffee for under $10/lb. Even Gesha is less than $30/lb.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not at that price. I can get all my green coffee for under $10/lb. Even Gesha is less than $30/lb.

Like I say, think Pops paid 23 per lb on the island...

I feel like the only last frontier in coffee is to roast my own. But IDK I am ready for that at the moment.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About 5 yrs ago Pops brought me back some of this exact coffee:

rs_gruv16oz.jpg

Blue Mahoe Estate. This stuff was phenomenal. Truly the best I have ever had the privilege of drinking.

Imagine extremely bright and light body with almost no acidity.

Pops said the word on the street in Jamaica was that the Asians had been buying up all the premium JBM. Thus causing the market to be scarce and overpriced.

He was able to grab some of the stuff that I pictured though, albeit at a bit of an inflated price, even for buying on the island.

He was able to score the Blue Mahoe Estate stuff 5 yrs ago for $12 a pound....

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads