1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Lengthening Sleeves on a Barbour

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by helloiamchow, Oct 30, 2012.

1. helloiamchow

helloiamchow New Member

Hi everyone,

I recently just inherited a Barbour Beaufort from my grandfather(my dad is too big for it, so it's mine!) and it is a really great jacket. The one major problem is that the sleeves are aggressively short. The sleeves are approximately 3 inches too short. The jacket fits beautifully everywhere else, it's just unfortunate that my grandfather had very short arms.

Now I want to wear this jacket a lot because it's super cool, but mainly because I miss my grandfather and wearing it makes me happy. The jacket carries pretty significant sentimental value to me, and I'd rather not try and sell it on eBay/B&S. After taking the jacket to a tailor, he said that there was nothing to be let out, as the sleeve was cut when it was shortened whenever my grandfather got it shortened. I was thinking about adding some sort of elastic cuff? But I'm not really sure.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

You don't really have any options. Perhaps the Barbour factory could add new sleeves if you ever sent it there to be repaired / re-waxed.

3. clapeyron

clapeyron Well-Known Member

http://www.barbour.com/repairs-reproofing

scroll down, it claims that they are able to lengthen the sleeves by up to 15 cm. Probably by replacing them with new ones.

please report back because I'm playing with the thought of getting a barbour, too and I am vertically blessed also.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  4. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

Assuming that you do not ignore the advice like so many that come, ask a question and then go away when the solution costs, do please report on the outcome of Barbour's work.

5. Geezer

Geezer Well-Known Member

Now that is interesting. As a tall bloke who finds Barbours either too short if they fit my torso, or too loose if they are (just) long enough in the sleeves, I had never ever thought to ask if they can lengthen them. And they can.

Thank you, clapeyron. I just learned something new and useful.

6. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Well-Known Member

Make it into a vest.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012