• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Legal Jobs?

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Deadeye_Dick
Long time lurker, first time poster, etc.

I am a current 2L at a law school located in the center of the US. Places well regionally, not well known nationally. While my grades and credentials would have gotten me on the summer associate track a few years ago, the current economy has smashed that option for all but a few at my school.

I had no less than 25 interviews for a position this summer. Probably around 5 callbacks. I was point-blank told by a few of my interviewers that, while they were interviewing several people from the 3 or 4 area law schools (area being around a 150-200 mile radius), a lot of students from T14's were coming "home" for summer work because they couldn't find anything in their respective markets. It's just as well; after listening to what the day-to-day is at a lot of these firms, I realized that I was overapplying to jobs that I would never enjoy working just to say I had a job.

Things have worked out for me all right, though. Last summer, I worked both in the legal department of a F500 and for one of my professors. The former absolutely sucked (I learned very quick that being in-house at a large corporation is definitely not what I want to do), the latter was awesome, in more ways than one: first, the work was interesting; second, that professor has proven to be one of the best assets I could have when looking for new positions.

This last semester I worked for a judge on my State's Court of Appeals. One of the greatest experiences of my life. And, after all the aforementioned interviews, and tons and TONS of nothing but hustling and calling professors for contacts and phone interviews and writing letters, I have landed a few decent positions for this summer: I will be working for an [anonymous] Appeals Court in DC for the first half of the summer, and then working for a Justice on my State's Supreme Court the second half.

I'm really trying to set myself apart (I'm also a non-trad with 10 years of marketing, advertising, and graphic design experience prior to law school), but mostly I'm just happy that I landed a few jobs I really think I will love. Of course, neither of these positions will lead to anything permanent post-graduation, so I will be back in the hunt a year from now I'm sure.

This does indeed sound fantastic. Good job! And now back to preparing for my mock-trial tomorrow morning (graded as a final exam) for my Trial Prep class. BTW, people, in case you want to congratulate me, I took my last law school class Thursday evening.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just fyi, I deal with insurance defense lawyers every day and I've never met one that didn't hate his job.

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
Just fyi, I deal with insurance defense lawyers every day and I've never met one that didn't hate his job.

Confession"”I hated(!) the class. The only reason I'd consider the practice if the offer came up and I was still desperate is because I'm still not sure I attribute the hatred to the material or to the professor's incompetence.

Acer

Reaction score
I figured I'd throw my question in this thread instead of starting a new one:

Ill be finishing up my bachelor's in business administration around the time I'll be separating from the military (next 2 years or so). I'll have the opportunity to attend a LOT of law schools for free (given that I can get accepted, of course), because of the G.I. bill--Harvard and Cornell would be 100% free rides, but needless to say I'm not counting on being accepted there.

With the economy the way it is (and might be 5 years from now), would it be worth it to pursue a JD, or should I look at some other options?

Grenadier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Acer
I figured I'd throw my question in this thread instead of starting a new one:

Ill be finishing up my bachelor's in business administration around the time I'll be separating from the military (next 2 years or so). I'll have the opportunity to attend a LOT of law schools for free (given that I can get accepted, of course), because of the G.I. bill--Harvard and Cornell would be 100% free rides, but needless to say I'm not counting on being accepted there.

With the economy the way it is (and might be 5 years from now), would it be worth it to pursue a JD, or should I look at some other options?

Do you want to be a lawyer? That is probably the most important criterion.

As to whether it is financially feasible, or "worth it," that depends upon the law school from which you graduate and your grades. If you do not get in to a top-50 law school, then I would advise against going. And I am not saying that you have to go the BigLaw route, but you do not want to foreclose that (or any other option) unnecessarily.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartorialism
Confession"”I hated(!) the class. The only reason I'd consider the practice if the offer came up and I was still desperate is because I'm still not sure I attribute the hatred to the material or to the professor's incompetence.
I think you're confusing insurance defense with insurance coverage. Insurance defense is just torts law on the defense side, where you would be working for insurance companies, widely known as the most compassionate companies around, who would never think of nickel and diming their attorneys to death.

Grenadier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
I think you're confusing insurance defense with insurance coverage. Insurance defense is just torts law on the defense side, where you would be working for insurance companies, widely known as the most compassionate companies around, who would never think of nickel and diming their attorneys to death.

In fairness to the insurance companies, in what other practice area do attorneys generate 4000 billable hours a year?

Acer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grenadier
Do you want to be a lawyer? That is probably the most important criterion.

As to whether it is financially feasible, or "worth it," that depends upon the law school from which you graduate and your grades. If you do not get in to a top-50 law school, then I would advise against going. And I am not saying that you have to go the BigLaw route, but you do not want to foreclose that (or any other option) unnecessarily.

I do want to be a lawyer, but from what I've heard BigLaw isn't really for me. I think I would fit in much better in a corporate setting, but I understand that's not traditionally an "out of the gate" type of job opening. Although I have heard of a couple of F500s that hire new graduates, I understand that to be the exception.

The main reason I'm shying away from biglaw is because of the amount of time I wouldn't be able to spend with my family--that's a major reason why I'm looking to get out of the military in the first place.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Before spending 3 years and a boatload of money (TANSTAAFL...opportunity cost)...

why don't you go work at a law firm or some other firm that works very closely with lawyers (litigation consulting, trial services, whatever)?

Seems like a bit of basic research that a lot of people completely fail to do before choosing law school.

Acer

Reaction score
I'd love to, but I don't know if I could find a law firm in the area that would 1) be willing to let me work there with essentially no qualification, and 2) let me work there on weekends or evenings (as I have a fairly rigid work schedule as it is)

I mean, I'd love to work as an assistant or something of that nature, or even sweep floors if it meant that I could get a feel for what their day to day was like, but I don't think there is even anything like that available in my area

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Acer
I'd love to, but I don't know if I could find a law firm in the area that would 1) be willing to let me work there with essentially no qualification, and 2) let me work there on weekends or evenings (as I have a fairly rigid work schedule as it is)

I mean, I'd love to work as an assistant or something of that nature, or even sweep floors if it meant that I could get a feel for what their day to day was like, but I don't think there is even anything like that available in my area

I'm not talking about sweeping floors at nights and weekends...I mean quit your job and go do the same **** they assign fresh college graduates. There are lots of firms that hire people with essentially no qualifications other than an interest in law. The work is ****...doc review, copy/paste, data entry...but it is the kind of stuff you may well do as a fresh lawyer anyways.

If you are seriously considering going to law school...what differance does it make if you quit your job a few months earlier to go make $15 an hour at some small firm (or more as a legal assistant at a biglaw type place). At least then you can decide it is not for you and all you have lost is your current job--if you wait until your first summer (or god forbid, until you graduate) to work in a legal environment, you will be out at least a year's wages as well as a year's expenses (assuming you have tuition covered but not housing/textbooks/food).

Eponym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Deadeye_Dick
Long time lurker, first time poster, etc. I am a current 2L at a law school located in the center of the US. Places well regionally, not well known nationally. While my grades and credentials would have gotten me on the summer associate track a few years ago, the current economy has smashed that option for all but a few at my school. I had no less than 25 interviews for a position this summer. Probably around 5 callbacks. I was point-blank told by a few of my interviewers that, while they were interviewing several people from the 3 or 4 area law schools (area being around a 150-200 mile radius), a lot of students from T14's were coming "home" for summer work because they couldn't find anything in their respective markets. It's just as well; after listening to what the day-to-day is at a lot of these firms, I realized that I was overapplying to jobs that I would never enjoy working just to say I had a job. Things have worked out for me all right, though. Last summer, I worked both in the legal department of a F500 and for one of my professors. The former absolutely sucked (I learned very quick that being in-house at a large corporation is definitely not what I want to do), the latter was awesome, in more ways than one: first, the work was interesting; second, that professor has proven to be one of the best assets I could have when looking for new positions. This last semester I worked for a judge on my State's Court of Appeals. One of the greatest experiences of my life. And, after all the aforementioned interviews, and tons and TONS of nothing but hustling and calling professors for contacts and phone interviews and writing letters, I have landed a few decent positions for this summer: I will be working for an [anonymous] Appeals Court in DC for the first half of the summer, and then working for a Justice on my State's Supreme Court the second half. I'm really trying to set myself apart (I'm also a non-trad with 10 years of marketing, advertising, and graphic design experience prior to law school), but mostly I'm just happy that I landed a few jobs I really think I will love. Of course, neither of these positions will lead to anything permanent post-graduation, so I will be back in the hunt a year from now I'm sure.
Congrats man! Sounds like you're on the right track.

Eponym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Before spending 3 years and a boatload of money (TANSTAAFL...opportunity cost)...

why don't you go work at a law firm or some other firm that works very closely with lawyers (litigation consulting, trial services, whatever)?

Seems like a bit of basic research that a lot of people completely fail to do before choosing law school.

Man isn't that the truth.

SaveMeJebus

Reaction score
Op, what law school you graduating from? GW 2004 here. Just curious.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads