1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

lefty's random dog thread.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lefty, Mar 22, 2009.

1. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Went to the dog park and took some pics. Thought I'd share...

Jake @ 5 months

[​IMG]

Great shot. My wife was bugging me for a Basenji the other day - if she saw this pic I'd be doomed.

The life of Minami (she's just a year and a half still though, we have a ways to go)

[​IMG]

Cute puppy is cute.

lefty

2. Stazy

Stazy Well-Known Member

Stazy... be careful about the dog sleeping with you... when you get another lady friend and you guys start uhh... exercising... the dog might get very confused and jealous.

Funny you should mention that. He was sleeping with me until just last week when my cousin described exactly what you just said. He got married this summer and his dog is not adjusting well.

Great shot. My wife was bugging me for a Basenji the other day - if she saw this pic I'd be doomed.

lefty

What's her email? I can send it to her. [​IMG]

3. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Thanks, but no.

Pics look great. I've always thought Basenjis look best in the tall grasses. Where in Canada is this?

lefty

4. Stazy

Stazy Well-Known Member

Edmonton.

The pictures were taken at a dog park that's just over 400 acres. It's completely isolated from the city and there's a river that loops around it. Nice place.

5. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

The African dog will love it there come January.

lefty

6. Stazy

Stazy Well-Known Member

The African dog will love it there come January.

lefty

Haha I know. It kills me to say this but I'll probably have to buy him a jacket or something.

7. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Or carry him in the traditional manner.

[​IMG]

lefty

8. Stazy

Stazy Well-Known Member

Or carry him in the traditional manner.

[​IMG]

lefty

Hahaha I'm going to incorporate this pose in my next WAYWN submission.

9. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Furry steeze!

SField is right about the bed. I've never been a fan of dog's sleeping in the bed anways. A) It makes the bed smell all "doggy", and b) if you do try and boan the poor guy is looking at you like you just foreclosed on his house.

10. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Some very tight obedience.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
    lefty

11. hdave

hdave Active Member

yeah thats a really cute dog!!

12. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Great shot.

+1, that's an awesome picture.

I encountered my first serious fight between two dogs this weekend. Didn't see it start but a Black Lab* got a hold of a smaller dog's ear and wouldn't let go, despite one guy holding his rear legs off the ground, another choking him, and his owner repeatedly punching him in the face (I think she may have broken a few fingers). When he was finally pried loose he redirected and bit her in the knee; two other guys ended up with bloody hands and the smaller dog was off to the vet for stitches in his ear (still attached, thankfully). Scary stuff; wish I'd had a break stick with me - next time I will.

*According to the SPCA; he had just been rescued a few months ago. Not sure I'd want to be the Cairn Terrier that lives with him.

13. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

Does anyone have experience with Otterhounds? My parents are thinking about getting a puppy from some friends with a litter.

[​IMG]

14. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

+1, that's an awesome picture.

I encountered my first serious fight between two dogs this weekend. Didn't see it start but a Black Lab* got a hold of a smaller dog's ear and wouldn't let go, despite one guy holding his rear legs off the ground, another choking him, and his owner repeatedly punching him in the face (I think she may have broken a few fingers). When he was finally pried loose he redirected and bit her in the knee; two other guys ended up with bloody hands and the smaller dog was off to the vet for stitches in his ear (still attached, thankfully). Scary stuff; wish I'd had a break stick with me - next time I will.

*According to the SPCA; he had just been rescued a few months ago. Not sure I'd want to be the Cairn Terrier that lives with him.

If you see them again tell them to watch their wounds closely for infection.
    Torn ears are very bloody but not serious.

It's hard to stay calm, but the best thing to do is pull both dogs apart until there's strong tension then work something - a stick, belt buckle - into the mouth of the dog biting. When he breaks pull hard on the collar to avoid the rebite.

Careful with flashing a "breaking sick". In some places it would be considered dog fighting paraphernalia.

Does anyone have experience with Otterhounds? My parents are thinking about getting a puppy from some friends with a litter.

[​IMG]

Cool breed. Very rare, I've only seen two. Stronger than they look and you have to make sure you want a water breed and all the coat issues that come along with one.

lefty

15. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

If you see them again tell them to watch their wounds closely for infection. Torn ears are very bloody but not serious. It's hard to stay calm, but the best thing to do is pull both dogs apart until there's strong tension then work something - a stick, belt buckle - into the mouth of the dog biting. When he breaks pull hard on the collar to avoid the rebite. Careful with flashing a "breaking sick". In some places it would be considered dog fighting paraphernalia.
    I'll be sure to mention it if I see them again. Yes, I'm aware of the perception re: break sticks. However, in the event that I need one I'd rather have the right tool for the job than to have to go looking around for a stick. Hopefully something like this wouldn't arouse too much suspicion. I'll keep it out of sight. Edit - This guy uses a tent stake. Seems like a good solution.

16. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

That looks like a wooden peg with a rope through it. What's so special about it?

17. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

It works much the same way as the tent peg. Work it into the dog's mouth behind the canines and twist it to apply pressure on the dog's gums. He will release.

lefty

18. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

The SAS (British Special Forces) parachute into combat with German Shepherds strapped to their chest. That's right, they parachute into combat strapped to a fucking dog. http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/no...an-afghanistan Apparently, dog's don't register height. Who knew?

19. KitAkira

KitAkira Well-Known Member

"People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta) said: "Dogs are not tools or "innovations" and are not ours to use and toss away like empty ammunition shells.""

Does PETA believe that dogs were domesticated so they could sit in people's laps?

20. Virginia Dandy

Virginia Dandy Well-Known Member

My GF has a super-cool rescue mutt that I'm certain is probably half black & white Basenji. It's a little smaller and slimmer than a pure-bred but everything else is pretty much dead on - except the yodel bark or whatever it is.

She also just got an affenpinscher puppy. Not a breed that I'd ever heard of and was skeptical of a toy breed - but he is quite a charmer and seems to be working out with the other dog just fine. Surprisingly chill for a tiny dog and super cute. He looks like a little black ewok. Not my photo but he looks similar to this:

[​IMG]