• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^What "Lake Elizabeth" do you mean? The Lake Elizabeth most familiar to me is in the transition zone between mountain and desert west of Palmdale, California. I haven't been up that way for some years, but it seems like an unlikely location for a dog park, so I assume you mean another lake.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
a regional park here in the East Bay Area. they have 2 fenced dog parks. one is only 1/3 of the other for small toy dogs essentially while the other is fairly large for all your big boys. TBH, all my times there at the basketball park anywhere from 6PM to 10PM (when the lights go out), there has been no incidents aside from your typical dogs barking at each other (and it is usually the small ones). all the larger dogs behave very well and all owners just let them roam the field like horses. they all play, fetch, drink water, and run to their hearts content. of course there are very strict rules in having your dog in the park itself e.g. spay/neuter etc.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

a regional park here in the East Bay Area. they have 2 fenced dog parks. one is only 1/3 of the other for small toy dogs essentially while the other is fairly large for all your big boys. TBH, all my times there at the basketball park anywhere from 6PM to 10PM (when the lights go out), there has been no incidents aside from your typical dogs barking at each other (and it is usually the small ones). all the larger dogs behave very well and all owners just let them roam the field like horses. they all play, fetch, drink water, and run to their hearts content. of course there are very strict rules in having your dog in the park itself e.g. spay/neuter etc.

Well there are a number of dogs (and owners) that are well adjusted and can play/interact with one another for short periods in controlled environments with no problems. One wrong dog and the whole thing becomes dangerous.

Beyond that, the owners are more likely to be problems. They don't watch their dogs and if they are, they don't know exactly what to watch. There are some owners that bring toys, treats and bones into the park which is a huge mistake.

Next there is the problem of diseases and parasites. Dogs that could be ill or have some sort of bacterial infection spread it through contact or feces (which some owners don't see and therefore leave in the park). Round worms are easily spread and it is almost a guarantee that the eggs are available in the ground year round.

Having said that, I understand the attraction that owners have towards dog parks. I've been to one many times, though not often anymore. A few dogs from our class met there on a regular basis. If someone were to ask me if they could come in and play with my dog, I'd say it was no problem as long as you're prepared for it. Running around with my dog results in dirty paw prints all over and the occasional snagged shirt.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

there has been no incidents aside from your typical dogs barking at each other (and it is usually the small ones).

It's most likely due to most smaller dog are poorly trained (Chihuahua's etc.), it also seems that Labradors and Retrievers are in the same boat.

In the park where I walk my dog most of the problem dogs are black labs, they run after joggers, jump up at random people and bark at baby strollers etc. and the owners don't say **** to them.

saysomething

Reaction score

The male was a blond dog and looked way bigger than my dog Cyrus. Turns out he was 20 pounds lighter. Shows you how a shaggy coat and light coloration can magnify the size of an animal.

I get this all the time with Yoda; she's on the small side for a pyr and is most often identified as a white retriever, but once people realize the difference in size, they guess her weight to be 90-100+ lbs.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's most likely due to most smaller dog are poorly trained (Chihuahua's etc.), it also seems that Labradors and Retrievers are in the same boat.
In the park where I walk my dog most of the problem dogs are black labs, they run after joggers, jump up at random people and bark at baby strollers etc. and the owners don't say **** to them.

That Lab/Golden mentality that their dog is ipso facto a totally benign creature by virtue of his/her breed seems to be ubiquitous. In my part of the world, a lot of Goldens, in particular, are very fight-crazed, as I have sometimes previously mentioned in this thread.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That Lab/Golden mentality that their dog is ipso facto a totally benign creature by virtue of his/her breed seems to be ubiquitous. In my part of the world, a lot of Goldens, in particular, are very fight-crazed, as I have sometimes previously mentioned in this thread.

And Labs are very easy to train, people are just lazy I think. Over the years I've had a variety of dogs, from little dogs like spaniel mixes and bigger dogs like Bull Terriers and mixed breed pig dogs, German Shepherds and a Doberman. My neighbour had a Yellow Lab and I would say that apart from a Springer Spaniel that I had (who was a genius) the Lab was the most trainable dog I've known.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1.

My Dad has had 4 of them over the years. While they are good natured, it doesn't mean that they won't pick a fight. The two that he has now feed off of each other and are much pushier knowing that the other one will back them up. They don't attack, but like trying to intimidate other dogs (for their own enjoyment/entertainment/ego) by barking in their face. If a strange dog did that to my dog, she would definitely want to see if they could back it up.

My neighbors have a golden that engaged my dog once, but it was purely a matter of territoriality IMO. I don't think that me or my dog took it personally.

So I agree with what you said. Just because they are good natured doesn't mean that they can't start some ****.

Again, Amateur Dog Owners thinking temperament is determined by breed, appearance or coloring.

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Temperament is simply the mental characteristic that allow a dog to do what he is intended to. It is a breed characteristic as much as colour or length of leg. A Basenji for example should act like a Basenji and not a Border Collie.

What degree an individual dog adhere's to his breed's temperament is solely an issue of breeding. And like colour, for example, there are dogs that fall on each side of the line.

lefty

Last edited:

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
want:

bracco-italiano-a-20111410438.jpg

bracco italiano

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of a Basenji acting like a Basenji, I'm out of town right now and Jake is staying at a daycare while I'm gone. I called them today to change his pick up date and to ask them how he was doing. The girl on the phone got super awkward and told me he had an "incident". Apparently the daycare was taking care of a rabbit and they forgot to close off the room where he was staying...Jake managed to get in and he killed it.

I feel bad for the rabbit and its owner but seriously, the daycare screwed up big time.

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bracco Italiano looks like an old Italian guy.

Sorry for the family that lost the rabbit, but well done, Jake.

lefty

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He killed a mouse a while back and was beside himself. I can't even imagine his excitement over a rabbit.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe you should take him hunting. Or coursing.

lefty

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I feel bad for the rabbit and its owner but seriously, the daycare screwed up big time.

did it scream/shriek?

my brothers ridgeback had cornered a rabbit in the back yard and he could hear the rabbit over the dog barking.....

the only other time i have heard a rabbit do that was the kids in the apartment next to us in nashville received a rabbit for easter and they were "playing" with it on the deck....

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics