1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

lefty's random dog thread.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lefty, Mar 22, 2009.

1. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Adult dogs are pretty fair with puppies.

I know guys who swear by Ol' Roy which is junk by any measurement.

To my mind, you buy the best food you can afford and the one that makes you feel good about what you're feeding your animal. Honestly, Jan, I never go to vets and the rare time I do it's just to get a piece of paper or confirm what I already know. I'd never take their advice about food.

lefty

2. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

i find that the stronger opinion someone has about food, the less you should listen to them. This works in terms of both dog food and human food.

3. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

Interesting how most of the serious dog people I know dislike and shun vets. I believe the veterinarians I cited were researchers, rather than animal hospital types.

As to the matter of dog food, none of the dog food companies are in the business of killing dogs, certainly none of the majors like Purina or Pedigree, as a very knowledgeable official in one of the major canine organizations once remarked to me.

4. Mblova

Mblova Well-Known Member

Lefty,

It's been a while since i posted in this thread. Had saved some PDF's and links(about dog training, crate training and basic discipline for the higher prey drive dogs-shepherd/mal) fromm this thread onto my old computer but alas it died a while ago and I haven't been able to find them. If you have some good pdfs, book recommendations, links, etc I would appreciate it if you could send them my way.

Thanks!

5. djblisk

djblisk Well-Known Member

Any advice,

My 4th month old literally just showed signs of aggressions by growling and barking. We just took her home from daycare and she was sleeping. My wife started to cuddle with her and she growled and let out a lunging fake bite bark. I proceeded to come over and start annoying her, she did the same thing. I grabbed her by the neck and put her down but she still fought. First time we have ever seen this. She is usually docile and has never exhibited this behavior.

6. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

^^ Not sure if they were links from me, but I would look at all of Mike Ellis' videos on Leerburg;

^ She's four months old so it's probably nothing. I wouldn't overreact and try and figure out what, if anything, caused it.

lefty

7. Mblova

Mblova Well-Known Member

Thanks for this lefty. It looks like a really good start.

8. gomestar

9. gomestar

my mother in law shared this "throw back Thursday" photo of her first dog, Ashley. 1986, Oahu, Hawaii.

[​IMG]

10. jhcam8

jhcam8 Well-Known Member

Probably just trying to sort out her place in your house - a little dominance behavior. Don't want to let that get out of hand, but as L. said, may not mean much at that age. Although difficult with puppies, it's good to treat her more like a dog than a teddy bear.

11. gomestar

jumping for a treat that I did a terrible job of throwing.

[​IMG]

12. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

Y
    your mother on law was in ZZ Top? Cool.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  13. gomestar

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Went out for morning errands and stumbled upon a celebration of american graffiti.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  15. JLibourel

In the course of this lengthy thread, we have occasionally discussed crossbreeds, "designer dogs" and such. We even had a separate thread on "Goldendoodles." The other day I was out with my Tosa Cyrus and a chap asked me if he were a Mastiff-Dane cross. I had heard of such crosses occurring occasionally but always assumed they were simply accidental. Out of curiosity, I did a Google search to see if I could discover a few images of such crosses. To my surprise, I found that such crosses were quite common and were variously termed "Daniffs" or "Mastidanes." As is the case with a lot of these crossbreeds, there was a tremendous variation of type. Most that i could see favored the Great Dane side, and, yes, a few did resemble Tosas.

I can sometimes see the point of crossbreeding to create a better performance dog. However, I am left wondering what the point of a Mastiff-Dane cross would be. These breeds have no discernible work function these days. They are not dissimilar in temperament, as far as I can tell. (I owned a Dane many years ago but have never owned an English Mastiff.) Both breeds are very subject to giant-breed health problems: dysplasia, bloat, early-onset cancer. Thus, I am left wondering what a "Daniff" brings to the table that could not be satisfied either by a good Mastiff or a good Dane. Lefty, or any other knowledgeable dog guys, do you have any comments about such a cross?

In general, I find most of these "designer dog" crossbreeds rather pointless--"Maltipoos," "Peke-a-poos," "Puggles" and whatnot. You are often paying purebred prices for what is essentially a mutt.

On that note, I am rather dismayed to see that the United Kennel Club has extended recognition to those damned "American Bullies" that we have previously discussed in this thread.

16. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

It seems that one legit purpose would simply be to have a larger gene pool to breed from, although I doubt that health or genetic diversity are high on the minds of those that promulgate these type of mash-up "breeds."

17. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Well ... Mastidane is a pretty cool name.

Maybe it's hybrid vigour. Those purebreds are a pretty unhealthy lot.

lefty

18. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Tom Chadwick and son, and his UK-based terriers.

[​IMG]

lefty

19. JLibourel

Some serious ratting there! Any idea what breed those terriers are?

20. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Guessing, I would say Fell or Patterdale or some local mix. Barn rats are hard to catch so that's a hell of a night.

CA buddy with some Rat Terriers:

[​IMG]

lefty

Last edited: May 29, 2015