1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

lefty's random dog thread.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lefty, Mar 22, 2009.

1. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

Don't screw with the livestock in Turkey.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lefty

There was a woman in my neighborhood who had a Kangal--a bitch and not nearly as imposing as the dog in those pictures. I think she rued her choice. She was not that dog-wise, was unused to the bitch's primitive characteristics and found her a real test of management.

One trainer friend described the Anatolians, including the Kangal and Akbash, as being sort of like a Great Pyrennes with more of a temper. There was an Akbash in my neighborhood earlier that I ran into a couple of times. It seemed like an okay dog--seemingly steadier than the Kangal.

I wonder if wolves are still much of a problem in Turkey. A friend of mine who was there with the army in the 1970s said they sure were then. There were instances of wolves actually pulling down armed sentries outside of Turkish military installations. I think eastern Turkey was still pretty wild. A tiger was even killed there during the 1970s, presumably one of the last of the famed Hyrcanian tigers of antiquity. Some ancient writers mention the formidable Hyrcanian dog, which was supposed to be half dog and half-tiger!

2. redcaimen

redcaimen Well-Known Member

There was a woman in my neighborhood who had a Kangal--a bitch and not nearly as imposing as the dog in those pictures.

Yeah, but how about her dog?

3. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

Yeah, but how about her dog?

[​IMG]

what's up with that dog's elbow?

4. JLibourel

[​IMG]

what's up with that dog's elbow?

Callouses. All big dogs get 'em.

5. rnoldh

rnoldh Well-Known Member

Callouses. All big dogs get 'em.

Why would all big dogs get them, and not medium or small dogs?

Or do medium and small dogs often get callouses too?

6. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

big dogs weigh more

7. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Funny story: I was talking to the aforementioned Donald Stocks, and I mentioned that a woman I know had gotten a Caucasion Ovtcharka. (They are supposed to be fee-rocious and helluva lot of dog, by way of background.) I remarked, "But she had little trouble training it, but then she is used to handling some pretty formidable animals. She's got some critters that would literally eat Mondavu [his stud Tosa] or anything else in your yard."

Well, Mr. Jan," Stocks replied, "Would you like to put some money on that?"

"Any amount you name if she would be willing to have a match, which I doubt, but it would not be an honorable bet."

"What's she got?"

"A tiger." (She owns or owned the tiger that was used in the early 1990s movie version of "The Jungle Book" starring one of Bruce Lee's sons. Coincidentally, my grandfather was art director for the 1942 "Jungle Book" starring Sabu the Elephant Boy.)

The one Tiger I met (took it for a walk on the streets of Mexico City) was a pussycat to deal with. A sharp bop on the nose and he complied.

There was a woman in my neighborhood who had a Kangal--a bitch and not nearly as imposing as the dog in those pictures. I think she rued her choice. She was not that dog-wise, was unused to the bitch's primitive characteristics and found her a real test of management.

One trainer friend described the Anatolians, including the Kangal and Akbash, as being sort of like a Great Pyrennes with more of a temper. There was an Akbash in my neighborhood earlier that I ran into a couple of times. It seemed like an okay dog--seemingly steadier than the Kangal.

I wonder if wolves are still much of a problem in Turkey. A friend of mine who was there with the army in the 1970s said they sure were then. There were instances of wolves actually pulling down armed sentries outside of Turkish military installations. I think eastern Turkey was still pretty wild. A tiger was even killed there during the 1970s, presumably one of the last of the famed Hyrcanian tigers of antiquity. Some ancient writers mention the formidable Hyrcanian dog, which was supposed to be half dog and half-tiger!

Probably some wolves left, plus human wolves, other dogs. I don't know much about LGDs, but they seem pretty formidable on their own territory.

lefty

8. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

I like dogs. Squirrels on the other hand . . . rats with bushy tails. But once in a while you just have to root for the underdog in a fight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lefty

9. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

[​IMG] ^The look on the dog's face

10. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

we like having exotic/lesser known breeds and I think finding a well bred lab would be a bitch.

If you're after a little known water dog there are a couple that come to mind.

Curly-coated Retriever:

[​IMG]

Irish Water Spaniel:

[​IMG]

Both uncommon and relatively healthy.

lefty

11. JLibourel

How about the Flat-Coated as long as we're talking about retrievers?

For that matter, lefty, what are your thoughts about the Chesapeake Bay Retriever? I know they are supposed to be a good deal tougher and more severe than most of the retriever breeds, which I quite like. There was a male Chesapeake in my neighborhood whom my Tosa bitch Tessa seemed to fancy, but he was rather intimidated by her. He seemed like a nice dog otherwise, more friendly with me than the breed is reputed to be with strangers.

They are supposed to be good natural guard dogs, and they don't carry the stigma that regrettably has attached itself to the bull and molosser breeds.

12. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Another good dog for Teger - big, hardy, wash-and-wear. I think there's a Ring 1 out there somewhere.

lefty

P.S. came across a story of the Peruvian Army stringing dogs up and stabbing them to train knife skills. Can't get the pic I saw out of my head.

13. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

14. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Nice counter to the dog that stole the baby. http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americ...ef=mpstoryview lefty
    Nice story. Can't help but wonder what the reaction would be if it happened in the US, given that baby was found with "superficial scratches and bruises". Hopefully the dog and her pups will get adopted as a result of her good deed.

15. lbcgav

lbcgav Well-Known Member

Took a pic this morning of this American Bull Dog. The guy told me they're related to the Old English Bull Dog. The chocolate lab's mine.

Attachment 26722

Jlibourel,

This was taken at 1st and Hermosa in Long Beach. Aren't you in the area?
    [​IMG]

16. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

People will argue forever about the origin of the American Bulldog. Original British Bulldog? Large Pit? Boxer?

Nice dogs though. Anyone looking for a large bull breed with a decent genetic diversity would be well served to look at the Am Bull.

lefty

17. Dburr

Dburr Well-Known Member

The rat terrior in my avitar is "Shorty". The big dog drives, the small dog rides.

18. JLibourel

Took a pic this morning of this American Bull Dog. The guy told me they're related to the Old English Bull Dog. The chocolate lab's mine.

Attachment 26722

Jlibourel,

This was taken at 1st and Hermosa in Long Beach. Aren't you in the area?

I may actually have encountered that dog. There are several American Bulldogs in the area. When you say, "the Old English Bull Dog," do you mean the original bull-bating dog of 19th century (and earlier) England, or do you mean the contemporary Olde English Bulldogge? The latter is purely a "re-created" breed, and ABs were used in its creation. Sometimes it is hard to tell an AB from an OEB, so similar are some individuals. As to the AB being a direct continuation of the original English Bull Dog, that's very debatable. They are certainly larger and look different from the 19th century Bull Dogs. On the other hand, there are 19th century photos of dogs from Georgia and thereabouts that look a lot like the original Bull Dog, so there may be something to such claims, but I am more inclined to think it is largely a comparatively recently manufactured breed.

Some people I know who've had 'em swear by the breed. Others despise them. Most of those I encountered seemed pretty nice.

I'd consider one, but as one friend remarked, "You'd probably get all the stigma of the Pit Bull with the health problems of the Tosa."

19. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Jan,

interesting dog experience this weekend. My wife (waiting until I was out of town) bought a cabin in the woods and naturally the job fell to me to check it out and get it up to snuff.

It seems there's an older fellow who owns most of the surrounding property that lives at the head of the dirt road. I was at the edge of the property when I heard a deep sonorous bark that froze me. Looked up to find two giant full coated dogs staring cold death at me. A moment later the fellow walked out of that woods and called the dogs to heel. They were Akbash, he explained and he often took them for walks on his property. Sitting at his side the head of the male came to abdomen. I've never seen one of these up close and i can certainly see why they are effective as guardians. If the owner wasn't there I'm not sure I would have made it far.

lefty

20. JLibourel

Interesting about the Akbash Dogs. I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that there was one in my neighborhood some years ago. It seemed pretty benign. At least it never fired up on Zuma, as a lot of dogs would. This may simply have indicated it was a mature, confident dog. Dogs that barked and growled at Zuma, he would usually ignore contemptuously. Dogs that gave him the "death stare" he would go for. The Akbash never challenged Zuma in that matter either. Of course, when you have a Tosa, especially one like Zuma, who came directly from very intense fighting lines, almost anything else seems like a "rat dog."

The Akbash, as I think I mentioned before, seemed a lot more level-headed than that Kangal in my neighborhood.