1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

lefty's random dog thread.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lefty, Mar 22, 2009.

1. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

I would think Foxhounds by the size.

lefty

2. CDFS

CDFS Well-Known Member

I'm guessing so as well, but don't rightly know. They walked around in Saint Amand Montrons, France. That's about all I know, apart from the 'lair'-smell emenating from them.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  3. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

^Aren't there about a dozen or so foxhound-like French breeds?

4. IronRock

IronRock Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A few scenes from the traditional Boxing Day hunt in the UK - Atherstone, Ledbury and the last one is Avon Vale. According to the press 300,000 followers turned up to support the various hunts. Hunting with dogs was made illegal on 2005, now the dogs just 'flush' out the foxes and then they are either trapped or shot. The current Conservative government is considering whether or not to repeal the ban.

5. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Probably picking up the little guy from the animal shelter in the next few days. Haven't had a chance to swing by and play with him yet. They say he is a chow/shepherd. Looks spunky.

His name is Archie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Cute puppy.

lefty

8. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

Yeah, he looks very primal, the kind of basic dog that will probably live 16 years!

9. IronRock

Training question...

Anyone got any tips on how to stop my lab spitting the dummy? Not into break training so anyone got any other off the wall, harebrained ideas?

Quick BG - She retrieves like a dream when she's marked the drop or with memory retrieves. Not so good yet at following a line (my fault) but thought I'd better stop the spitting issue before moving on. Spits it right at my feet.

9 months old.

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Looks like Archie isn't going to work out. He was very curious, fun, and seemed smart, but the animal shelter has to call the landlord and confirm everything before I can adopt. Turns out that it was a misprint and he isn't a chow/shepherd he is a pit bull/ shepherd and the landlord wasn't cool with that. So... guess I have to find another dog. Me and the roomie were looking forward to it.

11. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Quote:
    Does she have a "hold" command? I'd work on that in your finish positon for a while. What is her reward for dropping the dummy?

Quote:
    I didn't think the there was Chow in that pup, but didn't want to say anything. Also doubt there's much GSD. In this day it's a little stupid for a shelter to ID a dog as a pitbull. Can you bring the dog to the landlord and have him evaluate him?

lefty

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

That's kind of the plan. My parents have a dog that is a shepherd/chow mix and they look nothing alike. In person he looks like a lab/boxer mix. We're seeing what we can work out.

13. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Always safe to go with Lab/Boxer mix when dealing with unknown breeds and insurance companies.

Bandog:

[​IMG]

I knew and worked this dog's father.

Note from breeder:

It is VERY hard to find appropriate homes for these dogs. I went from taking back and putting down dogs that were sh!tters to taking back and sometimes euthanizing GREAT dogs because they were "hard to handle." Someone much wiser than I once told me "There is no market anymore for the kind of dogs you hope to produce," I walked away thinking them the fool... well believe or not A LOT of people want dogs that LOOK like Tonka, Bruin, Steeler but when that dog ACTS the part too, they often start stuttering & stumbling and I'm driving x amount of hours to go collect that animal. Believe me I've already tried scaring (Steelers owners)into giving me the dog back[​IMG] They are committed to him and thus I'm committed to helping them, because all I want is to 1)produce a sound, functional Bandog 2) Find homes where they are needed, appreciated & well cared for.

lefty

14. IronRock

I knew I was missing something! I need to do a bit of research on how to instigate the hold. Ref reward - I have not actively rewarded her apart from trying to stroke her under the chin/throat to encourage her to hold the dummy. Looking at it objectively however I suppose her reward is that she thinks she will get the dummy thrown again. Finnish position is just standing in front of me, didn't see any reason to complicate things by making her sit before dropping, not going to trial her or anything.

Pilot - can you ask the shelter to say he's Staffie cross or d'you think it's too late and your landlord's already a bit wary? He looks like a corker, shame to let him go.

15. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Got it.

Work the hold with a voice command (hold it), stroke gently with one hand and light praise but keep your other hand on the dummy or tug. Try for a few seconds then go from there. Have her release with another voice command (release) then reward with something that will keep her there, say food. Work this a few times then throw the tug or a ball and have a short play break. Don't overwork this.

lefty

16. djblisk

djblisk Well-Known Member

I have a small MinPin/Chihuahau who is around 3 years old now. Great Girl.

I came and she did ordinary jump up and down on her high legs using my legs as a guide thing.

All of a sudden, I hear a loud yelp, I look down and you seemed to favor her right back hip for bit. She seemed fine after that and walked fine, but did not jump anymore after. About 30 mins late, my better half came home and she proceeded to do the same. She yelped again and seemed fine. We went to dinner, we walked in and saw her curled up in bed not wanting to move, from there on out its seemed any sort of movement towards that area would make her yelp.

This morning, I came over to check on her and she seemed fine, the area wasn't tender but she didn't really move from her spot, she seems able to walk fine if she talks herself into it.

I am thinking she pulled a muscle and will observe further, but I don't think its a broken bone or a slipped disc.

Any advice on my strategy? Should I take her to go get Xrays now?

17. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Wait and observe. Keep her from jumping up for a bit.

When on a walk does the dog do a little skip step every 6 or so paces?

lefty

18. djblisk

djblisk Well-Known Member

No skipping.

Its just tender, she won't let us get near that area now. I'll leave her for a bit. She doesn't want to walk anywhere though. When she does walk, she seems fine.

19. NorCal

NorCal Well-Known Member

That's a hell of a beast.

20. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

His father was nice. Really set the standard for bandogs in the NE.

lefty