1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Left foot bigger than right?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Gatsby, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Gatsby

Gatsby Well-Known Member

I've read/heard somewhere that most people have larger left feet than right feet and that good shoes are created to adjust for this (i.e., the left shoe a little larger). Is this completely unfounded? Also, if true, does this size differential have anything to do with right/left-handedness?

This is regarding the fact that my right shoe (on a C&J Handgrade) feels noticeably, though not uncomfortably, tighter than my left, and I'm left handed. Just a coincidence?

2. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Well-Known Member

Interesting question, Gatsby. For what it is worth, I am righthanded, but my right foot seems bigger than my left.

Bic

3. BjornH

BjornH Well-Known Member

I'm a rightie and my right foot is a bit larger. If I only try one shoe on of a pair, it's the right one.

B

4. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Well-Known Member

I've never noticed a signifcant difference. I'm right-handed, but my left HAND is bigger than my right (probably from all those octaves, heh), and my left arm is slightly longer.

koji

5. RIDER

RIDER Well-Known Member

Of all the feet I've seen over the years, most people have one larger than the other. There doesn't seem to be any connection to right or left handedness, as far as I can tell. Shoe manufacturers do not make different sized right and left stock shoes.

6. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Well-Known Member

That is odd actually, the norm is that the opposite foot is probably 90% of the time the larger foot of the 2, and there will always be a difference unless you have had something like a broken leg etc occur.

Now I do not promise to be an expert on the foot thing, and believe me I do not have a foot fetish, however I have seen a few feet in my time, and it seems almost always, when a man is trying on a shoe, if I ask is he "right handed or left", I can normally on most occasions tell him which of his feet is bigger.

I think it has something to do with childhood kickball, when we were young on the playground the tendency to use the same dominate foot as our writing hand became the norm, and when play-time came on the asphalt, we kicked the ball with that foot, and it stubbed the growth, naturally making the dominate foot shorter.

What bullsh*t, but it sounded good.

7. NewYorkBuck

NewYorkBuck Well-Known Member

I am left handed. Right foot bigger. Hmmmmm.

8. johnw86

johnw86 Well-Known Member

Uh-huh. Sure. [​IMG] (Right-handed, larger left foot.)

9. Sevcom

Sevcom Well-Known Member

Right-handed. Left foot slightly longer, right foot slightly wider. Go figure.

10. Etruscan

Etruscan Well-Known Member

I'm right-handed, and my left foot is marginally larger than my right. What it means I know not.

11. topcatny

topcatny Well-Known Member

I am ambidextrous and my left foot is almost a full 1/2 size bigger. Not sure what that means.

12. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

My left hand is bigger as well... (also right handed)

Jon.

13. skeptic

skeptic Well-Known Member

You may also be left-footed while being right-handed. Oddly enough, I'm right-handed, but my feet are ambidextrous and my right is bigger than my left.

14. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters Well-Known Member

When I fit footwear on our customers I inheriently ask what hand they write with. On most occassions the opposite foot is the larger. The body favors the opposite side to create balance hence the larger size. I have queried my customers in the medical fields and they say this is true. I have never read any documented medical truth to this but I always stand to be corrected.

15. pitonboy

pitonboy Well-Known Member

(Left foot larger, right-handed)
    I guess I should thank you for bringing this up as I thought I was unusually constructed. My right shoes often need tongue pads to balance the fit.

16. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Well-Known Member

Right handed; right foot about 1/2 bigger and slightly wider.

Totally sucks.

17. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Right handed; right foot is size 10C/D, left foot is size 9.75C.

18. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

Right-handed; left foot slightly bigger

19. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Well-Known Member

ambidexty is a skill, not really a gift, if one does not develope that skill, he/she would not have the equal use...therefore it really plays no pertinent part in being right or left handed...one cannot be trained to use a certain hand naturally, it is a forced issue in human nature if a chosen hand is prefered as a child and changed. parents will often try to change thier children from being left handed to right, only because the world is made for righties, therefore, in reality, the bodies growth, if our theory is true about foot size, would be opposite of the norm...for those righties with a larger right foot, ask you parents if you started as a lefty and they changed you.

20. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Well-Known Member

My entire right side of my body is slightly bigger than my left. Wider shoulder, bigger pectoral muscle, longer arm, bigger hand, bigger foot, slightly longer leg. The right side of my body is pure 40R, while the left side is like 38R. Put them together and I'm a 39R.