• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gatsby

Reaction score
I've read/heard somewhere that most people have larger left feet than right feet and that good shoes are created to adjust for this (i.e., the left shoe a little larger). Is this completely unfounded? Also, if true, does this size differential have anything to do with right/left-handedness?

This is regarding the fact that my right shoe (on a C&J Handgrade) feels noticeably, though not uncomfortably, tighter than my left, and I'm left handed. Just a coincidence?

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Interesting question, Gatsby. For what it is worth, I am righthanded, but my right foot seems bigger than my left.

Bic

BjornH

Reaction score
I'm a rightie and my right foot is a bit larger. If I only try one shoe on of a pair, it's the right one.

B

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never noticed a signifcant difference. I'm right-handed, but my left HAND is bigger than my right (probably from all those octaves, heh), and my left arm is slightly longer.

koji

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of all the feet I've seen over the years, most people have one larger than the other. There doesn't seem to be any connection to right or left handedness, as far as I can tell. Shoe manufacturers do not make different sized right and left stock shoes.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a rightie and my right foot is a bit larger. If I only try one shoe on of a pair, it's the right one.

B
That is odd actually, the norm is that the opposite foot is probably 90% of the time the larger foot of the 2, and there will always be a difference unless you have had something like a broken leg etc occur.

Now I do not promise to be an expert on the foot thing, and believe me I do not have a foot fetish, however I have seen a few feet in my time, and it seems almost always, when a man is trying on a shoe, if I ask is he "right handed or left", I can normally on most occasions tell him which of his feet is bigger.

I think it has something to do with childhood kickball, when we were young on the playground the tendency to use the same dominate foot as our writing hand became the norm, and when play-time came on the asphalt, we kicked the ball with that foot, and it stubbed the growth, naturally making the dominate foot shorter.

What bullsh*t, but it sounded good.

johnw86

Reaction score
Now I do not promise to be an expert on the foot thing, and believe me I do not have a foot fetish,
Uh-huh. Sure.
tounge.gif
(Right-handed, larger left foot.)

Sevcom

Reaction score
Right-handed. Left foot slightly longer, right foot slightly wider. Go figure.

Etruscan

Reaction score
I'm right-handed, and my left foot is marginally larger than my right. What it means I know not.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am ambidextrous and my left foot is almost a full 1/2 size bigger. Not sure what that means.

skeptic

Reaction score
You may also be left-footed while being right-handed. Oddly enough, I'm right-handed, but my feet are ambidextrous and my right is bigger than my left.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
When I fit footwear on our customers I inheriently ask what hand they write with. On most occassions the opposite foot is the larger. The body favors the opposite side to create balance hence the larger size. I have queried my customers in the medical fields and they say this is true. I have never read any documented medical truth to this but I always stand to be corrected.

pitonboy

Reaction score
(Left foot larger, right-handed)
I guess I should thank you for bringing this up as I thought I was unusually constructed. My right shoes often need tongue pads to balance the fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads