1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Leather sport coat: cool or douchebag?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by davidmross, Jan 30, 2010.

1. samcajou

samcajou Active Member

My answer would be a little biased since leather has never really been interesting to me. However, there are those who can look a bit decent even in a leather coat. I suggest that you show us a picture of yourself in your newly-bought discounted jacket so we can judge whether you look cool or not in that type of clothing.

2. winston

winston Well-Known Member

Most leather sportcoats look as douchey as the people who buy them intend to look. (And I don't mean they aim to look like douchebags, but they intend to go for the look that you or I might think of that way). However, I think they're one of those menswear elements for which there is a narrow range of potential for not only avoiding the douchebag look but for achieving a very stylish outfit, and this depends upon the jacket itself (the cut and type/colour/finish of leather) and the rest of the outfit worn with it. In general I believe that quite extravagant garments can often be brought back to earth if the entire ensemble is carefully chosen.

STF has some nice Attolini leather sportcoats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think those examples illustrate what I said. Nice cut, nice leather (no shiny black finish) and the effect is kept in check with the more conservative clothes underneath. Both could be worn with pants, while in neither case would you stray into douche territory if you chose to wear jeans. (as long as you didn't go with an over-distressed pair).

Now I'm back to drooling over those Attolinis and wishing I could afford them. Thanks a bunch. [​IMG]

3. dsmolken

dsmolken Well-Known Member

4. ismelllikepoop

ismelllikepoop Well-Known Member

Well gentlemen, I thank you for all your comments. I must admit that many of them had run through my head before posting this topic and poll.

We end off at 89% db and 11% cool. I think that's a pretty overwhelming answer.

To be truthful, the jacket is quite nice with a great slim cut, wider peak lapels and very nice leather. BUT, I just can't get the Eastern European Mafioso wanabee image out of my head. (Or the tortured Gucci model but I could live with that image I suppose.)

Aside from the db factor I think the other way to look at this is do I really want this item? Do I ache for it? And we should ache for our clothing, no? I guess I'm passing.

i hope you realize that the voting matches the demographic of SF, so in a way it is SF approved

5. acridsheep

acridsheep Well-Known Member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    The Brad Pitt example is not really a propos. That is more of a light jacket than a SC.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

7. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

Don't do it!!!

8. Mudhiker

Mudhiker Well-Known Member

I've got a brown suede one that frequently gets compliments, and does not make me look like a gangster, but then, I live in farm country and wear it with jeans, boots, and an appropriately casual shirt.

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I've got a brown suede one that frequently gets compliments, and does not make me look like a gangster, but then, I live in farm country and wear it with jeans, boots, and an appropriately casual shirt.

Yeah, my dad has a nice brown suede one, but then again it makes him look pretty classy. Mind you he has a handlebar moustache and two sleeves of tattoos.

Where did I come from?

10. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Well-Known Member

It'd probably have to be a $6K Gucci leather blazer to look even remotely fashionable and then you'd be treading in a whole other area of douchedom.

11. westinghouse

westinghouse Well-Known Member

12. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Well-Known Member

that one still looks like crap if you ask me.

13. westinghouse

westinghouse Well-Known Member

that one still looks like crap if you ask me.

Nobody asked you

14. Nathaniel72

Nathaniel72 Well-Known Member

I say cool if you wear it like a leather jacket... as in no tie, and no plans to wear it once you go inside.

15. stillerfan07

stillerfan07 Well-Known Member

No. Not unless you're Neil Gaiman.

16. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Well-Known Member

Nobody asked you

Oh you are so funny. Dick.