1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Leather sport coat: cool or douchebag?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by davidmross, Jan 30, 2010.

1. modsquad

modsquad Well-Known Member

It can be made to work in an early 1960s, digging jazz, Miles-Davis-running-errands-on-a-Saturday-afternoon way. I'd say wear it with black slim-fit wool pants and a good knit shirt. Stingy brim hat wouldn't hurt.

2. bowtielover

bowtielover Well-Known Member

Your right this could be better suited for streetwear but the poll might be in reverse. It is not a great look and only so few can pull it off with out looking like a douche.

3. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

I think one can pull it off but it needs to go with your attitude and a complete look. It's very Rock and Roll. I'm with someone else who said "if you have to ask". I wouldn't even THINK about getting a brown leather blazer. I'm only a part time big timer and I can rock it once in a while. This jacket is nice but it needs to be rocked a little harder in the pic. The rest of the outfit doesn't do the jacket justice.
    [​IMG]

4. BareSolid

BareSolid Well-Known Member

Doesn't the bald baddie in 'Total Recall' wear one?

5. Mr.K

Mr.K Well-Known Member

I had one years ago that did not look bad, but it is very hard to get them to look good. I wore mine mostly with jeans and a button down.

6. westinghouse

westinghouse Well-Known Member

Doesn't the bald baddie in 'Total Recall' wear one?

Yes. It's black and he looks like a douche.

7. The Contrarian

The Contrarian Well-Known Member

I think it's one of those items that is so unlikely to be done well (by both the maker and wearer) that if falls into the "If you have to ask..." category.

+1

8. jabreal00

jabreal00 Well-Known Member

Hilarious. This is probably what most people end up looking like who buy leather blazers. My brother is a foreign service officer who was stationed in Ethiopia for a couple of years. He is quite a stylish guy who could pull off the look. We are both the same build and thin. He got a MTM leather blazer for me. It fits well. However, I just haven't found an occasion to wear it. Unfortunately if I ever wear it, it would have to be for a gag factor, Halloween or some costume party of some sort.

[​IMG][/quote]

----------------
    Listening to: Coldplay - Easy To Please
    via FoxyTunes

9. HHD

HHD Well-Known Member

If you're younger than 21 and rake-thin, it will make you look like one of the Velvet Underground (hopefully not Moe Tucker). Otherwise, no.

10. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

ordinarily, i would say no. but i just saw the most sublime Cucinelli sport coat the other day. it was a dark brown 3-roll-2 with a matte finish and a slightly pebbled surface.

No to black mobster

Yes to brown or tan leather especially with classic details or interesting finish.

11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

It definitely helps if you are the guy on the right or going to a costume party.

[​IMG]

12. Mathew J

Mathew J Well-Known Member

13. czjl

czjl Well-Known Member

Tough to pull off. But if you can then that's fantastic!

14. Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw Well-Known Member

Is for Charlie Sheen.

15. blackbowtie

blackbowtie Well-Known Member

I say you should keep an open mind. The Forvm can be too prescriptivist sometimes. Having said that, I agree with the poster who said "if you have to ask...". I think this is one of those items which you see, you try on, and if it looks compellingly good on you, you buy.

16. Flieger

Flieger Well-Known Member

to this, which is the douchebaggery most of you are referring to :
    [​IMG]

Where did you get that pic of Steven Seagal?

17. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Well-Known Member

It definitely helps if you are the guy on the right or going to a costume party.

[​IMG]

I have an old brown one like these from the 1960's with a waist-belt. Without the belt it looks like I am trying to be a 1970s pro-wrestler. With the belt on I still look like a pro-wrestler, but get tons of unsolicited complements from attractive women.

18. westinghouse

westinghouse Well-Known Member

Johnny Depp pulls brown off nicely in Donnie Brasco.

19. davidmross

davidmross Well-Known Member

Well gentlemen, I thank you for all your comments. I must admit that many of them had run through my head before posting this topic and poll.

We end off at 89% db and 11% cool. I think that's a pretty overwhelming answer.

To be truthful, the jacket is quite nice with a great slim cut, wider peak lapels and very nice leather. BUT, I just can't get the Eastern European Mafioso wanabee image out of my head. (Or the tortured Gucci model but I could live with that image I suppose.)

Aside from the db factor I think the other way to look at this is do I really want this item? Do I ache for it? And we should ache for our clothing, no? I guess I'm passing.

20. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

Well gentlemen, I thank you for all your comments. I must admit that many of them had run through my head before posting this topic and poll.

We end off at 89% db and 11% cool. I think that's a pretty overwhelming answer.

To be truthful, the jacket is quite nice with a great slim cut, wider peak lapels and very nice leather. BUT, I just can't get the Eastern European Mafioso wanabee image out of my head. (Or the tortured Gucci model but I could live with that image I suppose.)

Aside from the db factor I think the other way to look at this is do I really want this item? Do I ache for it? And we should ache for our clothing, no? I guess I'm passing.

Slightly off topic but I've found that when I see something I like I'll wait 72 hours. If I'm still thinking about it after that time, I'll get it. If not then I just forget about it.

Don't let anyone persuade you not to get it if you really want it. If it turns out you don't like it after you get it you can always put it on ebay.