1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Leather sport coat: cool or douchebag?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by davidmross, Jan 30, 2010.

1. davidmross

davidmross Well-Known Member

This may be more appropriate for the streetwear forum, but I'll try here first.

I have the opportunity to buy a leather sport coat at 60% off. It fits me perfectly and has a nice slim silhouette, two button, with peak lapels. I can't decide with a leather sport coat says Lenny Kravitz rock n roll cool or Ed Hardy douchebag.

It wouldn't necessarily be an item that I'd run out and buy but I can see the use for it and the discount is tempting.

Comments?

Cool or douchebag?

2. DGP

DGP Well-Known Member

This may be more appropriate for the streetwear forum, but I'll try here first.

I have the opportunity to buy a leather sport coat at 60% off. It fits me perfectly and has a nice slim silhouette, two button, with peak lapels. I can't decide with a leather sport coat says Lenny Kravitz rock n roll cool or Ed Hardy douchebag.

It wouldn't necessarily be an item that I'd run out and buy I can see the use for it and the discount is making me think about it.

Comments?

Cool or douchebag?

You'll either look like a Russian mobster or a rapist. I guess it's open to interpretation which of the above definitions each corresponds to.

3. Marcus Brody

Marcus Brody Well-Known Member

I think it's one of those items that is so unlikely to be done well (by both the maker and wearer) that if falls into the "If you have to ask..." category.

4. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

would only work if you're a d&g and versace-wearin' type of fella imo.

5. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Well-Known Member

If you are a rock star.

EZ

6. Milpool

Milpool Well-Known Member

I'm not saying it is impossible for leather sport coats to look good. . .however, I've certainly never seen one look good.

7. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I'm not saying it is impossible for leather sport coats to look good. . .however, I've certainly never seen one look good.
    +1. I'm not a fan.

8. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

I have two I occasionally wear. The Burgundy Ben Sherman gets a lot of compliments, though.

~ H

9. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

Douchebag, best to go shiny and black

10. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

I think that it really depends on what you look like, and what else you wear with it.

I have a friend who has a suede (well, I suppose nubuck) sportscoat. It looks surprisingly good with a casual shirt, jeans and a pair of nice boots. He does have a slightly Al Pacino-esque look, and that may assist him in pulling it off.

11. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Black = douchebag
    Brown or tan = cool

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

probably not a good look for most people, but theres a big difference from even this, which is not that great, but not terrible ; [​IMG] to this, which is the douchebaggery most of you are referring to : [​IMG]

13. Big Pun

Big Pun Well-Known Member

Leather outerwear is my favorite type of clothing, and also the easiest to look shitty IMO. Leather blazers always look shitty.

14. DavidinGray

DavidinGray Well-Known Member

15. BPFT

BPFT Active Member

You'll either look like a Russian mobster or a rapist. I guess it's open to interpretation which of the above definitions each corresponds to.

lol. definitely agree!

My advice: Tread carefully.

16. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

ordinarily, i would say no. but i just saw the most sublime Cucinelli sport coat the other day. it was a dark brown 3-roll-2 with a matte finish and a slightly pebbled surface.

i was looking for neither sports coats nor outerwear so i passed, but it looked great

17. Metlin

Metlin Well-Known Member

One of my fiancÃ[​IMG]es psychology profs - whom she describes as being very "Indiana Jones-ish" - wears a leather blazer or a leather vest on occasion.

His classes tend to be eclectic (e.g. theory of mobs, conspiracy theory etc). And from what I hear, he absolutely pulls it off. For instance, this is was he was wore last week to class (in her words)--

• Worn but nice leather vest
    • Tweed sport coat
    • Light khaki pants
    • Reddish maroon with green paisley bow tie
    • Gold rim glasses
    • brown loafers

So, yes. If you've the personality to go with it, sure. Otherwise? May not be a good idea.

18. westinghouse

westinghouse Well-Known Member

Black will make you look like an elitist douchebag.

The only time I have ever seen this pulled off properly was in the movie Goodfellas. Ray Liotta had on a brown leather sportcoat when he pistol whipped his girlfriend's neighbor.

19. Zenny

Zenny Well-Known Member

I am young, and in a band, therefore I can pull it off. As long as you don't sport shades with DIOR or D&G on the side, and/or walk around with enough product in your hair to work as a portable gel dispenser.

20. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

So, yes. If you've the personality to go with it, sure.
    also, if you have a unique nickname, like.....let's say, "The Situation", you probably are the right type to pull this off [​IMG]