1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Well-Known Member

What. I love my suede jacket (thick, "rough" calf suede) and I wear it a lot in London, even now in winter (London winters are pretty mild). Sometimes even in the rain, and it's perfectly fine, although I reach for my ventile coat when it's going to rain, not my leather/suede jackets. Suede is not as delicate as some people think.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  2. Death24xASecond

Death24xASecond Well-Known Member

I used to live in Chicago. I now live in New England. My winter boots are suede. I use Jason Markk's water repellant spray. Boots going on 3 years and need a new Vibram sole, but none the worse for wear. Water just slides off of course (unless you are in a torrential downpour and even then, 90% of it isn't going to affect the shoes). Snow can just be brushed off.

3. handmadestuff

handmadestuff Member

Ever tried a distressed crackled black leather jacket? I mean its not of any brand but you can get them custom made as per your requirements. Looks amazing and they are not shiny.

4. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Agree, suede can take a lot of abuse. If it gets wet, just let it dry and brush if needed. Most dirt stains will just brush off too.
    I don't think that suede is any more delicate than a leather in the same light color.
    Suede's only real weakness is oil and oil would probably f up a similar color leather.

I live in the Seattle area where it rains a lot but usually not very hard.
    I wear my suede jackets and shoes in all weather except for torrential downpours.

I bought that Schott Lucky DR and it's a heavy suede. I love the color and actually have two other suede Schotts in that color (A2 and a Schott X Lucky A1)..
    Yes a suede DR is a fashion piece and isn't a motorcycle jacket but I'd say the same thing about the vast majority of DR jackets being sold.
    Normal people probably don't have multiple suede jackets in the same color but everyone should have a suede jacket.

5. broken_oracle

broken_oracle Well-Known Member

OK, granted - I got a li'l pissy there. I suppose if the suede had a durability akin to the roughout leathers often used on hunting or smokejumper boots I could roll. To each their own!

On another tack though, anyone know of storefronts Stateside carrying Freewheelers & Co.? Cuz this Switchyard Coat in "Dead Leaf Brown" horsehide is just... Damn.

[​IMG]

Size would have to be spot-on (no shoulder gussets or side adjusters), hence the desire to try-on instead of buying blind online.

6. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

Suede is a bit too fragile for me, I prefer reverse leather.

Before anyone asks, yea suede and reverse leather are different. Suede is napped while reverse is literally the reverse side of the hide untreated. They look similar but are different.

7. Death24xASecond

Death24xASecond Well-Known Member

This sounds very similar to Rick Owens' blistered leather, which appears to usually be a matte finish but sometimes shows up in a more "metallic"/shinier finish. Literally my next goal.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Suede is the reverse side of the hide as well. A lot of suede is split grain suede, and it tends to be more delicate. However, you can also get full grain suede, which includes the grain side of the leather. Note that even "reverse leather" has layers sheared off. You simply cannot use the full thickness of steerhide, for example. for jackets - it would be unsewable, and pretty hard to wear as well. Super heavy leather jackets top out at about 4 ounces. Most "fashion" leathers, and these include leathers by "artisanal brands", top out at about 3 ounces. Even that is pretty heavy. I tend to like even heavier leathers, and some of my jackets are 3.5-4 ounces. Boot leather tops out at about 6 ounces of heavy workboots. And above that are things like bridle leather (9-11 ounces). I suppose that you could make actual leather armor out of that.

If you nap the grain side of the leather, that is nubuck, which is often super tough and used for things like workbooks.

1 person likes this.
  9. Americanaaa

Americanaaa Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Got this Vanson Hardcore second hand. The sleeves on this thing feel so good. My expectations for this jacket were really surpassed and for $425 I'm glad adding it to my collection.

1 person likes this.
  10. canstyleace

canstyleace Well-Known Member

I have this full grain horsehide coat and the suede is just as hard wearing, if not more, than the smooth grain

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    3 people like this.
  11. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Wish they would fix the collar on their DRs. They all seem to hover away from the neck.

Brought this up two years ago in one of their GMTO threads.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/387175/...apanese-double-rider-mto/1820_20#post_7911036

12. Americanaaa

Yea I'm thinking of giving the collar hot water treatment and shaping it towards my neck but I'm probably just going to leave it alone cause I also kinda like it too and want some variety between my jackets.

13. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Do you mean the thing with the snap button?

I'm talking about the distance from your neck to the edge of the jacket (the collar).

The collar leaf can probably be shaped, but I think the collar gap is a problem with their pattern.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/387175/...apanese-double-rider-mto/1820_20#post_7911156

14. Americanaaa

Oh I see, yea that is what I was talking about.

hmm I see what you're talking about. I didn't notice till I looked at some other pictures in that thread you linked. I guess the opening for the neck is an inch or something wider.

15. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

I have a sudden urge for a suede tan leather jacket... throw your recs!!

16. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Well-Known Member

This RLPL is the best looking suede tan jacket I think I've ever seen. Mind you I'm biased because I own it in a tobacco suede but I think it's the perfect bomber and other than the price it's in my opinion the best suede tan leather jacket there is.

I know the product pics look kind of dad-ish but it doesn't wear that way in my experience (unfortunately I don't have any pictures to help my case)

17. somatoform

somatoform Well-Known Member

I agree. I do love the chocolate suede of the valstar mind you, but I'm not convinced enough of the cut to drop the money. Your jacket is currently available on the rl site but in a different color and stupidly expensive. The tobacco is much nicer, nothing dad about the cut (from Permanent Style):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Well-Known Member

Stupid expensive is right. I call myself lucky because when I found that article on Permanent Style, the jacket was already on the sale racks at RL stores and ended up getting it for a significant discount. Or else there would have been no way I would have purchased it.

19. somatoform

somatoform Well-Known Member

It's worth noting that the RL regular line suede valstar style jacket is nice to (the one that recurs from season to season and comes in navy or light brown). I had the chance to try my size in person and was impressed, but this was in Europe and it was pricier. The one on the site now is a navy suede but the ribbing is a different shade of blue than the suede body. I don't like that.

I think I will save my money for a Stoffa if I can't ever get that RLPL Henfield in tobacco on sale.

20. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

I've been loving my APC x Louis W Ferris jacket. Mine's more caramel than tan, but they generally have a couple of colors per season and might have something lighter now.

[​IMG]

Epaulet has a snuff suede Valstarino-style jacket on markdown.

[​IMG]

The James Grose jacket I linked to earlier is super nice if you want a DR.

[​IMG]

Aero does their type 3 trucker in tan suede (picture below is brown, obvs), and it's possible that they'd do other jackets as an MTO.

[​IMG]

There's always Falcon Garments if you want to go MTM.

edit: Craftsmen Clothing on the CM side of the board looks like a good option, too. I'm moderately enamored with their Hemingway field jacket.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    1 person likes this.