1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

I think the hive mind here leans to smaller brands that focus on quality and craftsmanship rather than the big production brands like HB.

HB can indeed occasionally have a nice jacket that fits well and wears well. However, for the most part they have thin lamb leather made in some small factory in (insert some random mass production factory most likely in asia). And the other brands Falcon and Aero are smaller productions that are focused more on the items, use better hides and are targeting niche markets rather than the mass consumer like HB.

Thats what it comes down to on SF, hive mind doesn't appreciate mass consumer marketed brands. However, there are surprises here and there.

FWIW, i say if it looks cool, wear it and enjoy.

SF should only guide you not decide for you.

2 people like this.
  2. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Did you mean the inverse?

3 people like this.
  3. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

4. Americanaaa

Americanaaa Well-Known Member

I think size just depends on the fit you are going for. I like having a larger jacket incase i want to wear something bulky under it on a cold day. I also have a cool temperature jacket that fits like a glove. You can also get something small that leaves enough room for a tshirt but not much else. It really just comes down to if you plan to wear anything substantial under it and if the fit goes with whatever else you have on. I think you can usually size up or down one depending on the look you want and garment. That jacket looks like you could wear a decent sweater under it if you need to.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  5. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Well-Known Member

It's not like the quality/price ratio is high for any high fashion brand.

Then again you're paying for the design.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  6. akatsuki

akatsuki Well-Known Member

And by design with Hugo Boss? You mean cheap thin knockoffs of real stuff.

7. double00

double00 Well-Known Member

plus hugo boss made clothes for the nazis (seriously).

8. hoodog

hoodog Well-Known Member

Yeah, so?

9. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

Nevermind, deleted.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  10. double00

well what can i say? i guess i'm just not into the whole 'hitler youth' aesthetic. ymmv.

11. hoodog

hoodog Well-Known Member

Ah, so your point was that Hugo Boss has a "Hitler youth aesthetic"? Ok, I understand, but I don't agree at all. Ymmv.

12. double00

in all seriousness, HB is - as others have pointed out - mall junk, just one of many companies who do design/distribution and the stuff is made mostly overseas, mostly as cheaply as possible. which is fine. if people happen to like it good for them. for my part i typically shop for leather by manufacturer, not designer.

but it's also an old company. and HB did afaik design the uniforms for hitler youth and the SS and i'm not sure what else. moreover they swept all of that under the rug until circumstances brought it to light fairly recently. none of that is a great look imo.

in any case the question of history and heritage is pretty interesting. a lot of my favorite garments have history to them (or they are pieces of history) and that history is a tangible part of the aesthetic. burberry certainly trades on their heritage maybe if they were on the losing side things would be looked at differently. not only do they still make trench coats but that heritage of materials - gabardine, etc - has seeped into much of their catalog as fashion. would it be a stretch to suggest that the same design/organizational philosophy that informed the hitler youth unis also informed other facets of the product? well, why wouldn't it after all?

tbh i would feel a lot weirder about it all if HB was always a higher-end brand. but as pointed out it's mall crap so there is probably very little if any of that influence extant. and yet, why bother with a namesake if not for the heritage? whatever. to each their own i guess.

13. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Well-Known Member

The Hugo Boss nazi thing happened 70+ years ago and in all likelihood everyone involved is already dead, and the company issued an apology. I think it's time to move on.

5 people like this.
  14. hobbes874

hobbes874 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure you're wrong, this has been known for decades. Maybe not common knowledge, but well documented.

15. hoodog

hoodog Well-Known Member

16. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

17. double00

HB issued an apology - in 2011.
    anybody can wear anything or drive anything they like, it's naught to me. bmw also used slave labor during wwii.

(full disclosure i don't drive either but not because of their history)

18. double00

bumping this to get back to leathers.

no idea about RRL, but here's a fun fact: the older LVC leathers (the ones that say Made in UK) are manufactured by Aero.

19. jmo75

jmo75 Member

Interested in buying an Aero in brown. Any recommendations? Anyone have any fit pics with along with style info they could post?

20. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

US used slave labor too...I guess made in america is out.