1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Buddy Rich

Buddy Rich New Member

2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

I think you can save money by buying online but considering how important fit is and assuming he's risk averse because of the low budget, and he's inexperienced... I'd say only buy online if you have already tried it on in store. In his case I'd say start by thrifting and fitting things on, or go try $600-800 retail jackets like All Saints etc where you can then pick them up online on sale later for a few hundred less. For your average person, somewhere between a fashiony one like All Saints and a classic/traditional one like Schott etc that can probably be found in person in a store to fit on before buying for cheaper online, he'll find more than enough to work with. Assuming he's not building a collection, isn't all that interested, and wants a good fit on purchase number one, try them on in person to be sure.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  3. Severisth

Severisth Well-Known Member

Yeah, All Saints on sale is kinda the sort of thing I was thinking of. Or some other established brand where he could potentially try it on first and get an idea of his fit. I looked on All Saints site though, and most of their offerings are pretty over-designed. Any other brands kinda around that range? I was thinking maybe rag and bone, but they don't have anything in the vein he was looking for

4. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

I'm not much of a leather guy. Mostly here for the cool pics. I've found that Golden Bear for example often has jackets that retail for $1000+ that end up on sale for like $200-400 and are pretty solid jackets overall and at those prices definitely worth picking up. For example check Club Monaco's website. They often have them marked down to like $400-500 and have 30-40% off sales. Plenty of locations to go try one on and plenty of styles and colors to choose from. Plus eBay will have some too for like $200-300 gently used.

The guys here can probably chime in with more/better rec's. Those are the two companies I own or will own jackets from at some point

1 person likes this.
  5. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Maybe worth noting that a lot of Golden Bear jackets are really, really awful. I would stay close to the stuff they do for other companies, or the ones sold through shops that people like on this board (End, Unionmae, etc). There's some stuff on other sites (as well as eBay) that fit like '80s suburban dad leathers.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  6. broken_oracle

broken_oracle Well-Known Member

This in a shearling-lined horsehide please & thank you

7. ambennis

ambennis New Member

8. dieworkwear

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  9. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  10. boxdok

boxdok Well-Known Member

Is it a slim or Regular fit for the Levi Leather trucker

11. boozwah

boozwah Well-Known Member

Since there has been almost no mention of 5-zips in several pages...

How's the fit on my 5-zip? Size 48 calf with gunmetal zips that I bought from a user here and has probably been passed along from several members here and on sufu. It feels like I have a little bit of room in the shoulders and under the armpits, but quite snug in the waist. I was surprised the jacket has such a strong V shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  12. dieworkwear

Looks good to me.

1 person likes this.
  13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I think that it looks pretty good. And yes, the older Margiela 5-zips are pretty V-shaped.

1 person likes this.
  14. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

does anyone know what the above jacket is? i can't find it on the site and was curios.

15. dieworkwear

A seven-zip.

1 person likes this.
  16. nyarkies

nyarkies Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  17. nyarkies

nyarkies Well-Known Member

I like that he is trying something here. So this:

[​IMG]

Becomes this jacket:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

thanks man, i wanted to see the full jacket and i thought it was incarnation but wasn't too sure.

19. single origin

single origin Well-Known Member

20. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

Depends on what you're looking for, but there's plenty available in the $1k range. Offhand I'd say it's worth looking at Aero, although their jackets tend to have more of a vintage / repro feel and generally use heavier materials that would require some break-in: http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/products.php?cat=classicleather&sub=amj Some of the Schott collaborations, like the ones at Urban Outfitters, come in at a lower price tag and should have a relatively slim and fashion-forward fit: http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/category.jsp?id=BRANDS&brand=schott&country=us#/ I'd also take a look at some of the Golden Bear collabs with Club Monaco: http://www.clubmonaco.com/search/index.jsp?keywords=golden+bear I think @dieworkwear mentioned a few other companies Golden Bear collaborates with (possibly Unionmade also?), and their collaborations generally fit better than their mainline stuff. Forum affiliates Falcon Garments and Luxire also have MTM / MTO offerings that will come in around or under $1k if you want a slim fashion jacket. Basically there's a lot of options out there, and it depends on what you want out of your jacket. I'd probably look at a more leather-focused maker than Baldwin, which I think of as a denim-focused brand.