1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. snake

snake Well-Known Member

It wasn't the same guy who bedazzled "daft punk" on the back of his leather as a halloween costume was it?

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

There's a crazy german dude that wears a lot of Carpe and CCP and he gets all his pieces custom altered to be covered with chrome hearts jewellery. The end result is horrifying.

ballin is a disease

3. sshum

sshum Active Member

I'm the owner of the 'bastardized CCP' fencing. CCP made various versions of the fencing - one with a single side zipper and the other with two side zippers. The pic posted above is a re-issue of the single that CCP did in 2007. In the version I have, one of the previous owners of the version (started out as 2 side zips) chose to add a 3rd zipper down the middle. Think of a Margiela 3 zipper jacket that he re-issues every year.
    There was actually a CCP fencing on SZ classifieds recently for like 600 bucks that someone for some reason had added 2 additional zippers to after the fact. Makes me wonder why you'd buy something like that only to hack it up. It still looked great (tempting), just would've been better stock.

4. Abraxis

Abraxis Well-Known Member

Yeah I think it's still workable, but maybe I just have poor taste. Was thinking about buying it, but that it wouldn't fit nixed that idea. I do think the single zip is the best looking of the bunch, but it's generally not 600 dollars [​IMG]

5. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

I'm the owner of the 'bastardized CCP' fencing. CCP made various versions of the fencing - one with a single side zipper and the other with two side zippers. The pic posted above is a re-issue of the single that CCP did in 2007. In the version I have, one of the previous owners of the version (started out as 2 side zips) chose to add a 3rd zipper down the middle. Think of a Margiela 3 zipper jacket that he re-issues every year.
    I have the said MMM 3 zipper jacket, and was pondering yours, since a black leather is definitely on my want list and yours is my size. I just prefer the single zip version, that's all.

6. Happnin' Mojo

Happnin' Mojo New Member

Very informative thread, thanks for edifying me guys (and I think there was one or two women who posted)...

7. NerdBird

NerdBird Well-Known Member

It wasn't the same guy who bedazzled "daft punk" on the back of his leather as a halloween costume was it?

Pics? I think I might know the guy, lol.

8. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

yup

9. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

10. KitAkira

KitAkira Well-Known Member

$250 for a zipper is a bit excessive.

11. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

$250 for a zipper is a bit excessive.

For guys who want a 100% replica of something from WW2, down to a 70 year old zipper, it's not excessive.

12. DLester

DLester Well-Known Member

For guys who want a 100% replica of something from WW2, down to a 70 year old zipper, it's not excessive.
    This makes complete sense to me. If I were ordering one of those because of my interest in authenticity, I would get the 70 y/o zipper and pay the fee. Maybe I have been hanging around the vintage guitar folk too long, for whom this type of decision is easy and actually a no-brainer.

13. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

I think wanting a 70 year old zipper is excessive in and of itself LOL

This Julius is ... wow.

[​IMG]

14. Abraxis

Abraxis Well-Known Member

Man that color is so next level. Never could pull off the collar and am jealous of people that can.

15. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

That red leather Julius is nice, definitely need Kelv-like swag to pull it off.

This one is nice as well, make me want to pull the trigger on a ToJ DR in brown lamb.
    [​IMG]

16. modalsaliency

modalsaliency Well-Known Member

I might be alone in this, but the problem I have with a lot of the cowl/jutneck collar leathers coming out of Julius these days is that they look ridiculous worn open. It's not so bad on the catwalk when you can drape it or arrange the underwire to look good, but in day to day wear it's either impractical or ugly. I've handled the F/W 10 cowl and it's just ungainly unless you zip up the whole time. Observe:

Awesome: [​IMG]

Hideous: [​IMG]

17. snake

snake Well-Known Member

^ I don't I think that's the same one uncontrol posted, but do I get what you're saying. I can imagine there being just an excessive amount of leather just dangling if you were to wear it unzipped.
    It's not so bad with the one you posted though, as the high collar essentially transforms into more or less a traditional collar when worn open. That's probably my favorite piece from ss11.

18. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Well-Known Member

That red leather Julius is nice, definitely need Kelv-like swag to pull it off.

This one is nice as well, make me want to pull the trigger on a ToJ DR in brown lamb.

Why wouldn't you get a Julius rider?

19. modalsaliency

modalsaliency Well-Known Member

^ I don't I think that's the same one uncontrol posted, but do I get what you're saying. I can imagine there being just an excessive amount of leather just dangling if you were to wear it unzipped. It's not so bad with the one you posted though, as the high collar essentially transforms into more or less a traditional collar when worn open. That's probably my favorite piece from ss11.
    Yeah, I was just using the asymmetric highneck as an additional example. There really aren't that many collar designs that are versatile enough to be worn open and closed, but as arguably the most defining feature of a jacket there's a lot of pressure for designers to deviate from established cuts. So you get stuff that only works from a certain angle or certain fit but doesn't otherwise, which is somewhat silly because leather jackets of all things are the one article of men's clothing that you should be able to just throw on any which way, maybe beat up a little, and still look good. The F/W 10 midwinter goat jutneck is another instance of this. I couldn't even zip it up, and I have a tall neck relative to the Asian market. Some of the wjk or jun hashimoto designs are similarly off.

20. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't you get a Julius rider?

Does Julius make brown leather riders like that? I don't think I've seen one, assuming the pic I posted isn't Julius itself.

Plus I think ToJ is better price-wise. I am already planning on getting an RO stooges in the near future, most likely black, so a Julius will probably be too similar to the that. Plus I have no first hand experience with Julius so unless I see it on the B/S somewhere in a good price, I might give it a go. I would do the buy and sell if it doesn't fit routine but I am just too lazy to sell stuff.