1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Steel28

Steel28 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  2. mike868y

mike868y Well-Known Member

remember that time i found a nn leather on rakuten and didn't buy it? still regret that.

3. flowcharts

flowcharts Well-Known Member

Yes -- that jacket's what got me started buying from japan, so thaaaaaank you

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  4. mike868y

mike868y Well-Known Member

hah, you're the dude who bought it? glad you're still wearing it!

5. WhyKay

WhyKay Active Member

What was the process for getting one to you in the states? Also, how did you size on it?

6. auto-bite

auto-bite Well-Known Member

I originally was going to go through rakuten but was a bit concerned about authenticity so I just purchased the jacket on zozotown using buyee. Buyee is a service you can pay to have them purchase it then ship it to you. It was about 100 bucks extra. I'm 5'5 145lb and got a 36. probably the best fitting jacket off the rack. The sleeve length for me was perfect surprisingly and the sleeves are also much much slimmer than the original 613. none of that ballooning.

7. jaypee

jaypee Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    4 people like this.
  8. agedashidofu

agedashidofu Well-Known Member

Hey guys...need a bit of help on fitting advice - as I'm a completely newbie when it comes to leather jacket.

So - I just got myself an aero leather premier August 1930s - but as I'm wearing it - it seems like the arms are "bowing" / "curving" to the sides instead of looking straight (attaching the picture here.) The openng also seems wide

I'm not completely sure if it's because the jacket is really new and will take some time to break in, or if this is a really bad fit (I'm kinda thinking that the jacket shoulders need to be wider and the opening narrower?) I do have an athletic build and this jacket is a size 42

Many thanks in advance for your help guys!

[​IMG]

9. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Well-Known Member

Put down those two invisible basketballs.

10. Death24xASecond

Death24xASecond Well-Known Member

Wow that Aero looks so unattractive to me...boxy, huge, and plastic-shiny...not to mention that tassely zipper.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  11. canstyleace

canstyleace Well-Known Member

If you're keeping the jacket, my approach would be to rub down the whole outer with some mink oil then roll it up and put something heavy over it for a few hours then unroll and roll it up again in a different direction and repeat; that should soften up the leather a bit and eventually it'll lay better on your frame, it should also remove some of that shine.

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

He is a bigger guy, and the leather is pretty good stuff - looks like the Horween Horse CXL, if I'm not mistaken. You have to think of leather like that like raw denim. It will always look still at first. But it wears in beautifully. Steerhide, from day 1, has a lot more grain and a lot less shine to it, but it still takes a half dozen hard days of wearing to start to soften it up. Re. the zipper pull - I think that it's a cool touch, but it's a very distinctive look.

As for the fit on that jacket itself, the real issue is that your shoulders are not quite angular enough for it. That said, the great thing about jackets made from that heavier leather is that it wears in to conform to your body.

Now, and this is not recommended by any leather jacket maker, but which a lot of people do, if it's horse, just throw it into lukewarm water for a bit, and then carefull like it dry out, and then soften it just by kneeding the leather. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this for any other leather (for horse, there is generally little to no shrinkage, since it's so tight already.

1 person likes this.
  13. proteinnerd

proteinnerd Well-Known Member

I've got 5 Aeros currently and had more and sold them so here is my 2 cents for what its worth.
    Don't worry about the shine, it will definitely disappear with wear and the leather will look great. I always trim the leather pull on the zippers to about half the length.

As for the fit/model. Are you sure its an "August"? It really REALLY doesn't look like one, in fact if someone told you it was an August they lied. Different hand warmer pockets, completely different sleeve cuffs, different collar....its not an August.

It could be a premier half belt but it looks quite boxy for that usually slimmer cut. The shoulders on a premier half belt are quite narrow, perhaps thats what has happened, you got a jacket that "fits" the shoulders which due to the pattern makes it look too big everywhere else. The sleeves are too short as well, they will effectively shrink about an inch once the elbow creases set in.

Where did you get it?
    Was it a custom order or off the rack.
    Can you return it?

TBH, its not a great fit.

With my premier half belt, I ordered a size large enough to fit the shoulders but then specified it to taper down by 1 size in the waist, otherwise it probably would have fit like this.

14. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Well-Known Member

I think the fit looks pretty good, pending you just beating it up a bit and breaking it in. The cuff openings are wider on these jackets, but in my experience they come out of the box a little bit "flattened" from shipping, and when they break in and become more round they won't be as wide.
    I had the same concerns on my premier Highwayman but a combination of the jacket breaking in and getting used to wider cuffs and all was good.

Don't put anything on the leather. Just wear it regularly and the shine will start to fade off the CXL fairly rapidly. It's just the nature of this (really awesome) leather.

In terms of the leather zipper pull, they are a matter of personal preference, but when you have gloves on and are trying to grab the small zipper pull of a repro zipper, you'll be glad it's there.

Edit: I think some more pics, especially zipped would help. I am attributing some of the awkwardness of the fit to your pose, but I could be wrong and the shoulder might be a bit too tight for you...

1 person likes this.
  15. navetsea

navetsea Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I combined some elements of my second jacket into my first and updated some details, I plan to hide all the zipper this time with piping
    my brother order it in black cow that he is going to sell, however later when I'm happy with it, I want to have it made in off white for myself... but maybe next year :D

3 people like this.
  16. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

^ I haven't peeked in here lately… so did you have one actually made or are still refining designs? Seems it has been a little while at least. Nice work though, good luck.

Yeah basically that Aero just needs the shit kicked out of it… then it will be fine. :nodding:

17. navetsea

navetsea Well-Known Member

^ basically, I'm fusing both jackets design into one. thanks!
    [​IMG]

mainly 1st jacket but with more sloped shoulder (yet not as extreme as in 2nd jacket) and a pair of flaps inside to close the jacket even when unzipped, the zipper is also not going to be a double/dual ended but just a single zip since hooking on double zip is PIA when on bike or when without full concentration on it , so I mount the zip 5 cm higher and adding those flaps as secondary option to close the front of the jacket.

also, I have 2 ideas: normal and raised collar (basically even more sloping half way)
    [​IMG]

will show how it turns out when done :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    6 people like this.
  18. Fycus

Fycus Well-Known Member

19. Understatesman

Understatesman Well-Known Member

My problem with the zipper dangle is the fact that it falls right by your crotch. No one wants to stare at your crotch, yet the dangle forces us to notice it.

20. gettoasty

gettoasty Well-Known Member

Good observation @Understatesman

1 person likes this.