1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Wing0

Wing0 Well-Known Member

Fit Pic. MY DSLR was not wanting to work with me while I was trying to get a decent pic...Overall very happy with the jacket though IMO

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

The way you like things to fit, I would suggest that half belt rather than the Highwayman, which, I believe that @ChrisGold said, is fairly boxy. The 30s half belt, on the other hand, as a pretty straight fit.

In other news, my leather paints are here. Now it's just matter of finding the time and motivation to put this stencil on the back of my 30s half belt.

3. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Well-Known Member

Totally agree, they do have the new Premier Fit Highwayman, which is what you should consider if you want to go that route. Regular Highwayman is as boxy as Aero makes.

4. kevineg6

kevineg6 Member

I personally love leather bikers. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    3 people like this.
  5. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Well-Known Member

Black & White one looks incredible. Wasn't sure if it'd look good in person, you pull it off well.

6. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

Can I just use regular leather conditioner on a navy leather jacket or do I need something special? I have Saphir renovateur, Saphir delicate, and Saphir cream universelle

7. kevineg6

kevineg6 Member

Thanks SirGrotius. The fit on the black and white one is really good, I got it from MRporter and was skeptical about it because I weren't able to try it on before I buy. But end up loving it.

8. strangebrew

strangebrew Well-Known Member

9. ChrisGold

1 person likes this.
  10. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  11. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Well-Known Member

Cut looks pretty good. What did you think of the leather? Might go check it out in person.

Can they add texture like this to make up for less than perfect hides? A way to keep costs down?

12. ChrisGold

Yes, they can, but typically hides in this price range are top-grain already (as opposed to full-grain), so more of a stylistic choice.

1 person likes this.
  13. auto-bite

auto-bite Well-Known Member

I tried this on at the store and thought the quality was nice but didn't like that it was cut longer.

1 person likes this.
  14. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Well-Known Member

Interesting. Full grain usually closer to $1k?

I understand the technical difference between full and top grain, but is there a tangible, noticeable difference? Like if you were given unlabeled swatches of each, would you be able to tell the difference? Would the average person? Not exactly related to this particular jacket, but I'm just curious.

15. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

This is from a very rough memory. I popped into UO after seeing the jacket online, and only tried it on, poked around, and left. I remember the leather seeming slightly lighter weight and (IIRC) milled, which meant it was slightly softer than what you find on standard Schotts. I assume it was a split leather, which means the regular hide was split in half and the bottom part (the top grain) was used. Makes it lighter weight, but top grains are typically not as sturdy as a full grain hide, just because the fibers aren't as densely packed. Probably doesn't matter to those of us who are just looking for a fashion jacket, but it might affect the way it ages. You probably won't get that heavy "evo" that leather die-hards like Chris are after.

Anyway, it seemed nice for the price, esp since most of the guys buying that probably won't be interested in the look seven or ten years from now.

I picked up the 519 model on Mr. Porter, which is slimmer than the standard 613, but shorter than the slim fitting 626. Ended up returning that and just got something used off eBay. I wanted something beat-up looking, and a new model just looked too new to me. No way I'm going to wear this enough to put in serious wear, so I just went second-hand.

2 people like this.
  16. hoodog

hoodog Well-Known Member

Yeah, If I were to go for a Highwayman, it would definitely be the 1930's "Premier" version (slim). The cut of the regular would be way too boxy for me.

I didn't know you had a half belt. Whats your opinion on it? Any fit pics to share? I think @ChrisGold also had one at one point. What's your opinion on that jacket Chris?

17. LA Guy

Good. It's a pretty straight cut. Deceptively slim. I like it.

18. hoodog

hoodog Well-Known Member

Ok. No fit pics then? What leather did you choose for it? What would you say about its versatility? What do you usually wear it with?

IMO it seems like a very versatile pattern - like an A2 or A1, or even the Highwayman or such jackets.

19. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

That Schott/UO looks really nice for the price and target demographic. Would have killed for something like that when I was a freshman in college

20. LA Guy

I'll try to take some. It's pretty versatile. I just wear it with jeans and boots. 4 ounce steer, so it's ridiculously heavyweight.

1 person likes this.