1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. snake

snake Well-Known Member

Yeah it's pricey, but I see Julius and Rick leathers going for 1500 used. Don't see anyone except maybe a baller SZer picking it up.

2. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Well-Known Member

$3000 for a used jacket? Almost as bad as this Napoleon ($12,000 [​IMG])

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

That's absolutely standard in the CCP used market. It reflects the original retail, the limited edition and the scarcity. why is that a facepalm?

Do you expect used Italian sportscars to go for the same price as hondas?

3. KitAkira

KitAkira Well-Known Member

That is not a particularly babied jacket, I suppose the "custom order" is worth something, but 50% off for something that used is a joke.

4. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

That is not a particularly babied jacket, I suppose the "custom order" is worth something, but 50% off for something that used is a joke.

man what? i don't think so. i pay 50% for used items and it's worth it if the item never went on sale (and CCP custom jackets sure as fuck don't)

5. BB1

BB1 Well-Known Member

Yeah it's pricey, but I see Julius and Rick leathers going for 1500 used. Don't see anyone except maybe a baller SZer picking it up.

I paid only $1000 (new) for my Julius leather. Was on sale at a small store in Japan for 50% off. Maybe I got lucky, but it seems quite easy to find expensive leathers on sale for huge markdowns.

Most stores appear to have trouble selling expensive leathers at full retail, regardless of the brand. For example my jacket was originally $3000 at Blackbird, but they had to mark it down to $1500 before they sold out of all their sizes. And I got my Mr. Olive double riders for 50% off too for around $600. So I guess the rule is your a fool for paying full retail for one of these things.

Still loving the Julius leather a year later....

[​IMG]

6. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

man that julius is nice

7. BB1

BB1 Well-Known Member

While I'd generally agree with your sentiment, it really depends on the item. If an older piece is strongly liked by many and not many were made, often even a beat up one will sell for a high price. For example, on the Japanese auction sites I've seen heavily worn DBSS deer skin sneakers that have the soles almost worn out selling for 80% of what the new retail was!

8. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Julius looks great BB1. What color is it? Olive?

9. snake

snake Well-Known Member

I paid only $1000 (new) for my Julius leather. Was on sale at a small store in Japan for 50% off. Maybe I got lucky, but it seems quite easy to find expensive leathers on sale for huge markdowns. Most stores appear to have trouble selling expensive leathers at full retail, regardless of the brand. For example my jacket was originally $3000 at Blackbird, but they had to mark it down to $1500 before they sold out of all their sizes. And I got my Mr. Olive double riders for 50% off too for around $600. So I guess the rule is your a fool for paying full retail for one of these things. Still loving the Julius leather a year later....
    Yeah, there have been some really nice deals to be had on jap webstores lately. You got a great deal. The price of these leathers being sold the US definitely deter shoppers, especially when they never go on sale. It seems like now if you're willing to wait til near the end of the season, you're likely to find the item you want at a decent markdown on most jap webstores. Used to never see that. But of course there are highly sought after items that seem disappear overnight. I'm glad I picked up my leather moto when I did or I'd probably never see it again.

10. supandcu

supandcu Active Member

I paid only $1000 (new) for my Julius leather. Was on sale at a small store in Japan for 50% off. Maybe I got lucky, but it seems quite easy to find expensive leathers on sale for huge markdowns.
    I wanna go to Japan! Beautiful leather you've got. One of the best I've seen.

11. Ackord02

Ackord02 Well-Known Member

man that julius is nice

lol thought you hated on breastpockets... [​IMG]

12. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

I do but these are ok

13. Please Respond

Please Respond Well-Known Member

Shit, after seeing how gorgeous some of the leather jackets are in this thread, I fully understand the hate and hostility I got regarding that plastic piece of shit I posted.
    We live and we learn.. I never knew there was such a leather jacket sub-culture.

Nice Jackets, gentlemen.

Okay, so I have a question. I live in LA (Moderate Temps all year round). I'm a black boots and black belt, jeans and t-shirt type of guy and I don't mind tossing some coin into a great leather jacket. My body type, I'm 5'10, 185lbs, size medium, athletic (just lost a shit ton of weight) and seem to fit into designer shirts like Theory quite well. Somewhat broad shoulders and big chest.

What are some great leather jackets that I should be on the hunt for? Edu me.
    (I have been going through this thread and making notes on lots of the stuff I've seen but there's a lot of info.) - I like the Aero but is that the Fonz jacket?

But for example, if someone were to ask me, "What would be a great staple or first quality watch" I'd recommend an Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch or Rolex Submariner. Is there a leather jacket equivalent(s)?

Any thoughts?

14. OakCliff

OakCliff Well-Known Member

This leather jacket is 20-40 years old. It is an old leather jacket my dad had. It looks like 1970's style, but it could even be from the 1960's. What do you think? It is my favorite leather jacket, even though I'm rarely skinny enough to wear it. Does anyone know anything about it? I've been actively reading posts on SF for the past couple of months on a wide range of topics (in the process getting hooked on Alden shoes and selvedge denim, among other things), but I haven't posted much yet. Thanks to everyone for posting so much useful information!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

the leather looks really shiny and cheap. the piping on the back is cool though

16. ALFAMALE

ALFAMALE Well-Known Member

its the old jacket from goodfellas [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. cez

cez Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

this is sick. great choice. solid fit.

18. bob99

bob99 Well-Known Member

I've only owned a junk leather jacket before, never anything nice. I'm considering a Rick Owens jacket (specifically the Exploder High Collar for sale currently in B&S) Basically, trying to decide if it's worth it. A leather jacket is pretty versatile, you can wear it daily. I'm a bit concerned about the wool cuffs, and how they'll wear over the years. If I buy something in the $1500 range, I would want it to last a long time! Someone please convince me to buy (or not buy!) this jacket. Thank you [​IMG]

19. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

If money is an issue and you're not set on a Rick jacket, get a ToJ - classic styling, better quality than Rick, and almost 1/3rd of the price for a used Rick Owens jacket. Something you can use every day for the next couple years

20. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

Wool cuffs can be replaced pretty easily mang.