1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Well-Known Member

Premier Fit Highwayman in Seal Vincenza Italian HH. Leather is finer grained that my previous Vincenza jacket, but should pick up deeper grain as I break it in. According to Aero, this was patterned off an early 30s design. Nickel hardware and light weight wool liner. Some quick, low quality shots.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChrisGold

1 person likes this.
  3. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

it doesn't look bad but its definitely too boring for synth, needs some craziness added

yea i know its shinki, just my 2c

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I guess that I have to disagree. Craziness is definitely nice, but I don't think that it's always necessary, nor even desired. For me, "interesting" is that small strip of ground between "too safe" and "over-designed:. The first is self evident. The second is when a design puts on something into the design for no reason other than to "make it interesting," I see this in a lot of budding "artisanal" designers - a lack of good editing.

This jacket focuses on the leather, and there are just a few details and a clean enough cut, but enough, that prevent it from going into snores-ville If there was a bit extra in the body, or the shoulder was not as defined, and you have had a very expensive version of a jacket you might find at Loehmann's. As is though, it's a standout.

5. Lorcan7

Lorcan7 Well-Known Member

Perhaps not to the taste of many in here (but on the subject of craziness) I sometimes think about an East West Musical Instrument Company repro by Jelado for some full on 70s cosplay... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  6. LA Guy

I looooove old East West Musical Instruments leathers, and they are the grail of estate sale searches. Never heard of Jelado, but I do love the originals.

7. Vordhosbn1

Vordhosbn1 Active Member

Old fit shots of my late 70s/early 80s Super monza, wish I had better pictures but the jacket is no longer with me. The leather on this particular jacket was slightly heavier than modern iterations If I recall but has been treated the same and had the same characteristics-most notably the uniform fine grain and supple leather.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Product shot taken from a vintage jacket store I sold my jacket to.

4 people like this.
  8. jglenn777

jglenn777 Well-Known Member

It's definitely a sharp jacket in a great color. As previously stated it's Golden Bear so that's really positive. Beyond the hand warmer pockets, I also notice that it's chrome tanned vs vegetable. Still worth considering when you can take 20% off presale.

9. hoodog

hoodog Well-Known Member

Looks like a great t-shirt fit! I guess you couldn't do much layering under that one?

Do you remember which size this was? Did you size down?

10. ChrisGold

For a true moto jacket you definitely want it to be chrome and not veggie, for increased water resistance.

11. jglenn777

jglenn777 Well-Known Member

Thanks Chris, that is good info. Still learning about the differences in quality leather.

12. Louys

Louys Well-Known Member

Is there any particular reason for zipped handwarmer pockets tend to be preferred to unzipped?

13. LA Guy

1) Practicality - ease and security of storage/
    2) It makes the fit a bit more forgiving. With unzipped, you can easly get stretching, or gaping if the jacket is just a bit too long, a but too tight, whatever.

14. Louys

Louys Well-Known Member

That makes sense. I always considered zippered handwarmers a design flaw because of all the chaffing, but I can see it could be worth it stop permanent gaping.

15. Lorcan7

Jelado are a lesser known Japanese repro / denim brand. There's a US company (the name of which I forget) that also has the license to do East West style jackets, but the Jelado ones look better to me. As per standard for a Japanese repro I think they aim to finish them to higher standards than the originals. Cheapest ones start at around ¥160,000 and go up to ¥320,000 if you want the Papaya Noon jacket...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  16. Vordhosbn1

Vordhosbn1 Active Member

As size grading has changed over the years this is actually tagged a 42 and I'm usually about a M or 39. The pit to pit was about 21" and the rest of the measurements line up with a current size 40 cyclone tight fit with slightly fuller sleeves. I could fit a sweat or knit under it no problem, It looks slimmer as it had moulded to my frame.

17. Dairy Phobic

Dairy Phobic Well-Known Member

hey guys I'm looking for some advice as to whether I can dye this jacket or not. Meaning will the dye work well with this jacket?

this is a FW 2002 5-zip in a "distressed" dark grey colour, the leather it self isnt too distressed it seems, just the dye job is. The jacket looks like it only has surface dyes for the most part.

The jacket looks to be in new condition

I would be trying to dye it black with this https://www.hangerproject.ca/saphir...2tnk0f35omvpcrle40hu0&___store=canada_default

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  18. Gruff

Gruff Well-Known Member

That jacket looks great as-is. Why would you want to dye it and potentially mess it up? At best it probably just needs some leather conditioner.

8 people like this.
  19. ChrisGold

Step one would be dying a small area on the inside of the waist to see how it takes. On full Aniline leather, I have seen some pretty nice dye jobs where the color has been completely changed and you would think it came out of the factory that way. However, if the jacket is semi-aniline or top coated it could resist the dye and not soak into the leather at all.

Fiebings is the dye that I've seen others use.

1 person likes this.
  20. Lorcan7

That distressed grey looks awesome. Would not dye.

7 people like this.