1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

I've never seen a Margiela 5-zip that is stiff in the way a traditional moto jacket is stiff.

Incidentally, does anyone know the origin of that particular design? Margiela used so many historical garments that it's unlikely that that very distinctive design just came from nowhere. And yet, I can't recall ever coming across a vintage jacket with that configuration of pockets and zippers.

2. Paul84

Paul84 New Member

Carry on with this thread, what i did was to post and then go through it properly. You can fuck off with that Davoucci shit there. I got that jacket years ago and now i try to get rid of it. Obviously here is not the right place to do that, which i realised afterwards.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  3. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

:lol: I thought that was spam... Sad if serious

4. hoodog

hoodog Well-Known Member

Bump! @dieworkwear ?

5. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Whoops, sorry.

I think the jacket goes well with grey, tan, and brown pants. It's not as versatile as black, but it's more interesting and spring/ summery. I like it better than some of the other non-black colors MM puts this design out in, but it's really just a matter of taste and what else you have in your closet.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. AriGold

AriGold Well-Known Member

Here are some old fit pics of jackets I used to own.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

That burgundy is fantastic

8. AriGold

AriGold Well-Known Member

Too bad I sold it @nicelynice. Was way too thick and heavy for my climate but I've since replaced it with a black 5 zip.

9. hoodog

hoodog Well-Known Member

How come brown leather jackets get so little love on sf? Or am I just mistaken? I think a brown motor like a 5 zip would be pretty great...

10. LA Guy

Because it's hard to find an interesting brown leather without reaching up into the higher quality leathers. I do have one, and love it, but it was a RRL jacket with a dark brown background that has an overcoat of black that is then stripped away, so that you end up with a leather that looks "darker" and a bit distressed, and gets more so the more I wear it. Jackets with a brown base, but are more dramatic, like whiskey and Number 8 have much more inherent drama. And if you want a modernized motorcycle inspired look, or any look that is "sleek", then black is an obvious choice. There are companies that do great brown jackets, usually based on early motorcycle jackets, and military jackets (like Navy and RAF shearlings), but those are not the bodies in fashion right now.

Personally, I love the browns in the 60s and 70s, like those used by the East West Musical Instrument companies, but those leathers are hard to come by.

2 people like this.
  11. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Well-Known Member

I love my double rider, but find it hard to wear without looking like a "Wild Ones" extra. It doesn't help that it's a old-school Schott, so maybe I should look into more modern fits. I end up just layering it.

[​IMG]

12. HeavenResign

HeavenResign Well-Known Member

I don't think the jacket is what makes that look kinda old school, it's the chunky toe on those boots and the indigo jeans that are cuffed and tucked in. It still looks good though

13. hoodog

hoodog Well-Known Member

I totally see your point. Coming mainly from CM, where brown is hailed as easily the most versatile color for leather shoes, I am all aware of the fact that browns can be really bad as well as beautiful. It all depends on the shade, leather quality etc. Basically, higher end makers of shoes usually also have the most beautiful shades of brown, and my guess is that this is the same when it comes to leather jackets.

Anyway, speaking of brown 5 zips, I think that this version looks really good. Wouldn't you agree?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. LA Guy

You could also wear with black jeans and white kicks, or indigo jeans and Visvim sneakers, or black or olive cargos with cream chukkas like Guidi 994s or 017, if you want a more modern look. All these and more would work with the style and weight of the jacket. It's really a matter of styling.

1 person likes this.
  15. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

I like it with those olive pants. Don't think it would look good with blue jeans, assuming that's what you were considering. I think brown leathers aren't popular on this thread because we don't have many workwear enthusiasts. Except for @ChrisGold. If you went to FedoraLounge or DenimBro, you'd only see brown leathers.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  16. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Leather jackets can be any colour as long as that colour is black. There are beautiful brown leathers but they feel too retro by default, I just wouldn't know what to do with them.

17. LA Guy

Sorta, and not really. Color popularity is tend driven as well, and often matches other trends. If the rest of the "modern" wardrobe is brown or blue, then a brown leather jacket also look more modern. In 2000 or sp, I had a conversation with one of the owners of Traffic LA, and she was bemoaning the fact that she had, in a previous season, dyed her brown boots black, and how brown had so much more depth, etc... The stupid catchphrase "brown is the new black" was thrown around a lot.

This predated the workwear trend of the mid-oughties, but it was the start of the "new rustic" look, when even brands like Prada, previously best known for its techno fabrics, was using things like boiled wool; Helmut Lang had a ton of stuff in moleskin, as did Burberry Prorsum, and there were a lot of huntingwear inspired sportscoats, Gucci was coming out with super chunky "ethnic" knits (which were awesome, btw), and Costume National used camel and chestnut brown moleskin in its signature outerwear pieces. The best 5-zip that I've seen to date was from that period, a heavy black over brown, and it was often styled with indigo jeans. The most modern leather jackets were definitely in the brown family. The usual suspects (Versace, Mugler, Calvin Klein) still did a lot of black, but it was not as prevalent as it is now.

If @Fuuma had a wardrobe with a lot of pieces from about 99-00 in his current rotation, he could probably put together a lot of outfits with brown leather jackets. And black would have been more difficult to put together something that was all black without looking like a refugee from the mid to late 90s.

18. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Except that I have plenty of pieces that would match very well with a brown leather jacket (say navy or grey slacks), what is important is the way I perceive brown leather jackets. If I watch a movie set in the UK in the 60s or something like that, I'll love that sort of grey slacks/brown leather styling, I just can't wear it myself.

1 person likes this.
  19. ktown

ktown Well-Known Member

My journey for my first leather jacket began almost two years ago. For my upcoming 30th birthday I decided to treat myself to a cool leather jacket. I turned to a popular SF brand named ToJ after reading around and placed an order. Little did I know what I signed up for. After 1.5 years I sold my spot (lol, what company tells their customers this?). My quest for my first leather jacket began anew.

When I saw the VansonxSFxThurstonBros DR I thought it looked fantastic. Here were these guys who started a project well after I placed an order and they had actual products in their hands! I looked into what other offerings there were as I was intent on getting a moto. I settled on an Aero Board Racer and customized it to my liking. Here it is!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10 people like this.
  20. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

that looks fantastic. great buy

1 person likes this.