• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

La Guy, do you think the guys at Aero/Thurston would be able to make something similar to this? (this is pretty much the best-looking leather jacket I've ever seen, so if it turns out I could get something similar in the future when TOJ may not be around, that would make me happy :) )
And yet the toj looks so much better...
How can you tell with stock pics? :embar:
It's just styling. You can make things look really good, or really bad, in a still photo. I have both the ToJ and an Aero Fontana, which has slanted chest pockets. I'm terrible at photos, but imo, even my crap pic looked better:

artishard116

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed that looks better but I don't think it's just styling. It's kind of apples to oranges imo. One looks like an old fashioned suit of armor for riding a motorcycle and one looks like it's sole purpose is to make you look cool. It's in the shape and the details. I don't own a motorcycle so I'm a bit biased.

Last edited:

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I agree it's "better" per say, but that does look really nice LA Guy, doesn't seem to farfetched that they could make something very similar to the TOJ
What leather is yours made out of? (looks so much better than the black shiny leather in the stockpics)

artishard116

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just think if you're going to a place like that in hopes of replicating a toj (or vice versa) you're going to be disappointed.

Get the thing you like.

Last edited:

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

La Guy, do you think the guys at Aero/Thurston would be able to make something similar to this?
(this is pretty much the best-looking leather jacket I've ever seen, so if it turns out I could get something similar in the future when TOJ may not be around, that would make me happy :) )
Thats an older TOJ and should be easy to replicate.
It's just styling. You can make things look really good, or really bad, in a still photo. I have both the ToJ and an Aero Fontana, which has slanted chest pockets. I'm terrible at photos, but imo, even my crap pic looked better:
i remember you and I discussed that jacket in a thread when you were ordering it, Blue Aero Fontana looks really good... in fact you are selling me on it. i recently was looking into a midnight blue backlash moto but it didn't work out.

Last edited:

Adroit

Reaction score
La Guy, do you think the guys at Aero/Thurston would be able to make something similar to this?

(this is pretty much the best-looking leather jacket I've ever seen, so if it turns out I could get something similar in the future when TOJ may not be around, that would make me happy
smile.gif
)

If you are looking for a Cafe Racer style jacket and can do without the lower pockets (which were not present on the original Buco J-100), I personally think the Real McCoys Buco J-100 (made from Shinki horsehide) is among the best available. Here is mine:

Better stock photo:

The Himel Bros. Kensington (also Shinki HH) is also excellent:

Rainbow Country just introduced a Cafe Racer:

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Not sure if I agree it's "better" per say, but that does look really nice LA Guy, doesn't seem to farfetched that they could make something very similar to the TOJ

What leather is yours made out of? (looks so much better than the black shiny leather in the stockpics)

Generally, the shine will dull with only a little bit of wear/exposure.

also a flash against a shiny leather makes it look much more shiny but yes it does dull over the years

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not sure if I agree it's "better" per say, but that does look really nice LA Guy, doesn't seem to farfetched that they could make something very similar to the TOJ

Mine is a waxed blue Horween steerhide.

I just think if you're going to a place like that in hopes of replicating a toj (or vice versa) you're going to be disappointed.

Get the thing you like.

Agreed. Just giving options.

Thats an older TOJ and should be easy to replicate.
i remember you and I discussed that jacket in a thread when you were ordering it, Blue Aero Fontana looks really good... in fact you are selling me on it. i recently was looking into a midnight blue backlash moto but it didn't work out.

Word.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you are looking for a Cafe Racer style jacket and can do without the lower pockets (which were not present on the original Buco J-100), I personally think the Real McCoys Buco J-100 (made from Shinki horsehide) is among the best available.
Here is mine: Better stock photo: The Himel Bros. Kensington (also Shinki HH) is also excellent: Rainbow Country just introduced a Cafe Racer:
Aero, Himel, Alexander, etc., are all of comparable quality.

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
Alright, I think I've decided to go with the Aero if I can get it tweaked to my liking, and the TOJ if I can't. Thurston is reputable? It seems like it would be easier to deal with them if they are trustworthy. They say on the site that they can send a preliminary jacket on loan to test measurements, which would be great for me since this would be my first leather jacket and I have nothing to accurately compare measurements to.

Thank you all again for the help.

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
different topic: went to maxfields today, tried on rick moto and bauhaus. leather this season is substantial way better than last 2-3 seasons imo

also tried on bison ma+ biker at hlorenzo. SO GOOD. fit was perfect except super long sleeves whatever, leather feel was out of this world. making me question my allegiance to rick. that and I'm constantly broke

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont like the pec zippers on the toj

oh and id like it if the zippers at the sides went up further like near the neck even

:devil:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics