1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Adroit

Adroit Well-Known Member

Exactly!

Moreover, the more robust (e.g., 2oz+) uncorrected leathers are more expensive to purchase, as compared to a thin, corrected leather.

2. Adroit

Adroit Well-Known Member

"Best in their class" does not equal "best leather" as defined by the leather industry. Thin, corrected leather is less expensive to purchase as compared to more robust, uncorrected leathers. Thus, regardless of which is "better" than the other, the cost of materials are less for a thin, corrected leather.

3. Adroit

Adroit Well-Known Member

An 8 oz leather jacket is not "thick" . . . it is a suit of armor. There are lighter uncorrected leathers that are much more wearable.

4. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

You can't divorce the idea of "best" from context though. This isn't just in fashion -- it's a philosophically true statement for anything.

"Best" in fashion is dependent on use, the designer's intentions, and the consumer's preferences. I had a long debate about this in the ToJ thread, which -- if you want -- you can read here:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/217855/...-updates-complaints-etc/45040_20#post_7588354

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  5. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Nice jacket, wouldn't say they're that nice as far as quality goes though, good enough but not better than any other designer jacket in that range. I don't really care though, as you probably know I wear an old Margiela 5 zip the most and it's not a fancy make either (good hide though).

6. 0JSIMPS0N

0JSIMPS0N Well-Known Member

Thanks. I agree, quality doesn't vary much between the typical brands discussed here ($1k-$5k price points). And frankly, if the jacket doesn't explode the second i put it on its good enough for me.

7. navetsea

navetsea Well-Known Member

I guess, beauty and quality is a very subjective matter. What I don't like from a pristine looking thin hides is how it looks when accidentally creased across the back panel.

8. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Yeah, there are some surprising durability issues with some brands/itemsthat should be highlighted but the rest is pretty much obvious and comes from different design approaches and goals. I have a pair of grey zip CCP tornadoes that are pretty much indestructible while the much better constructed Massaro suede zip boots I also love to wear are rather delicate. This is obvious to anyone who glances at both item and isn't a complete fucktard (i.e shape and material suggest robustness for the CCP and dainty elegance for the Massaro).

9. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Wow, were the Massaro's bespoke?

10. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

these do look fragile
    [​IMG]

11. proteinnerd

proteinnerd Well-Known Member

The sleeves look really short in this shot, doesn't even look like it comes to your wrist, just a bad angle photo or are they that short?

12. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

I was really underwhelmed with the SLP when I saw it in their SoHo store. It had a very "dry" texture, and there were already prominent wrinkles in the hide. The one above certainly looks better, so perhaps just an issue with that particular one I saw.

13. Melbush

Melbush Well-Known Member

I inda don't know what to think of this

[​IMG]

14. milosh

milosh Well-Known Member

I tried a calf SLP rider last year and while there's probably someone using better leather or construction, it felt like a sturdy, well made jacket. It fit me really well too(I'm around 6'3 and I think the jacket was a 52). I don't remember the price but it was a bit to steep for me at that time.

15. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  16. chobochobo

chobochobo Well-Known Member

I like the Visvim A2

17. 0JSIMPS0N

0JSIMPS0N Well-Known Member

It hits right at my wrist bone which is the perfect length for me. the longsleeve im wearing under has long sleeves. its around 25" sleeve length on a 46, pretty standard.

My jacket is from aw13 or ss13 cant remember. I saw the current ss15 one a couple of weeks ago and I remember the leather being extremely subpar.

18. scanner

scanner Well-Known Member

The only SLP jackets that i've liked were the Calf. I did like the leather on the FW14 Studded jacket. Very chunky and moist (lol). Only issue I have with SLP Jackets is the need to size down 1 or 2 and some of the lamb leathers do leave a lot to be desired and don't differ much from something you'd find at kooples or Iro.

19. JSAN

JSAN Well-Known Member

Leather is relatively thin and definitely really dry, at least when I tried it

20. mike868y

mike868y Well-Known Member