1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

RO will be way mor snug whereas mmm 5zip is a bit more boxy imo.

2. Melbush

Melbush Well-Known Member

That's why it's MMM in 44 vs RO in medium.
    I don't even need a leather jacket actually

3. brianoh

brianoh Well-Known Member

Probably not the right place to ask this question, but on my Acne Gibson, the zippers are starting to rust or it's chipped. I wore it out while it was raining 0 times and spilled nothing on it. What gives? How do I fix it?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  4. double00

double00 Well-Known Member

Jeez, crappy hardware... if it were my jacket I might think about running a little soft wax (like pure beeswax) over the zipper to try to keep the rust down... I guess this is why zippers are made of brass... also keeping in mind that any wax could also find its way into the leather, and could so stain but (probably) wouldn't hurt the leather. Do you live around saltwater or something?

Then again, when outfits like LVC and schott relic their leather jackets, they'll apply solutions to the hardware to foster patination. You could just go with it, but I'd be afraid the zip would stop wanting to work after a little while... good luck.

5. bokhan

bokhan Well-Known Member

Love the Cascade!

6. bokhan

bokhan Well-Known Member

7. bokhan

bokhan Well-Known Member

More pics of this?

8. bokhan

bokhan Well-Known Member

Not my style but I think it goes really well with your overall aesthetic. Maybe wear it with shirts that have interesting textures instead of patterns.

9. navetsea

navetsea Well-Known Member

this has nothing to do with jacket I owned yet, more about jacket drawing(s) I did for our personal jackets.

this one is for my brother, I have posted the image before but now with more details,
    I added more details to explain better to the jacket maker (I have given them the picture last week). probably this week or next week it would start.
    [​IMG]
    I also planned to make one for myself, but then I'm too thin to fill that shoulder shape and I'm still not really sure about offcenter zip, so I draw another one for me (probably I will ask them to make it after they finished my brother's or later closer to my own birthday lol..),
    something more cafe racer-ish, dual zips, slanted breast pockets and hem, also slanted sleeve end, raglan shoulder,
    and I want the sleeve to be really downward, from previous jacket I learned it will create crease line from armpit going to the shoulder if the sleeve has bigger angle and that annoyed me, in fact I want to have big hole there on the armpit to facilitate arm movement, so the jacket body could stay in place even when I move my arm up, and probably with contrasting t-shirt underneath will work as sign for driver behind me at night when I'm on bike and since I live in a hot tropical place anyway, and small gusset on the back.

I can't draw pattern, but there I tried probably it looks somewhat like that, just to communicate it better when I try to explain it later. As for material, since in our country we only have cow as thick leather, then I choose thick cow for the back panels, shoulder and sleve, and thin cow for front panel (or lamb) so it could drape when unzipped, I wonder if mixing two different leathers in one jacket could have side effect??

as for color I don't have any idea yet... I already have black (although I don't mind to have another black), brown is difficult since jacket is too "modern" to be brown unless really dark brown, red is interesting but too loud as everyday jacket, but probably the smooth/ glossier lamb on the chest and grainier flat black on the rest would be interesting enough in black . as for the hardware I want antiqued nickel if I go with black or antique brass if I go with brown, or yellow/ golden brass with black webbing if I go with white or red.

[​IMG]

10. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Well-Known Member

Maybe you could find a really dark green/red/blue?
    Whatever you choose I think mixing leathers with different thicknesses can work out well, just try to have them in as similar colors as possible.

Also really wish I could draw clothes like that, the sketches are awesomely anime-esque

11. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

are there really zippers that don't discolor at all over time? seems like the only way to avoid that would be to buy some crazy 925 silver thing from backlash

12. Mulan

Mulan Well-Known Member

I wish buying a jacket from Backlash would be easier. The only brand after CCP I'd consider buying things at full retail for...[​IMG]

13. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

14. nyarkies

nyarkies Well-Known Member

Know your size. Where are you located? Serie Noire started carrying Backlash. It is on the expensive side (by a lot) compared to getting it from Japan. The stores in Japan don't carry the larger sizes so contacting a store there and preordering for a larger size works. Just for reference, I'm a 48 or 50 sometimes depending on the brand and I only fit on a XXL for Backlash (and it's a bit on the tight side still).

Or you could visit their newly opened store in LA located somewhere along Santa Monica Blvd... I'm planning to go there sometime this May.

1 person likes this.
  15. Mulan

Mulan Well-Known Member

Almost always a size small/IT46. Guess that makes me a size medium/large in the brand? Will definitely try to get in contact with the L.A store or Serie.

16. klonowj

klonowj Well-Known Member

Anyone know where I can pick up a new or used phillip lim moto in xl or larger?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  17. 0JSIMPS0N

0JSIMPS0N Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I think they do this in some version every season (detachable sleeves version, regular, braided leather sleeves etc) so try contacting Phillip Lim stores or retailers if you haven't already done so? Im pretty sure I saw a version of this for sale in like early 2013, then at a different retailer in mid 2014. My friend used to have one of these actually and i remember it being a sick jacket. Leather is really soft and supple and drapes nicely and feels almost weightless. Sometimes its nice to have a piece you can just throw on and look cool without thinking too much. Im surprised stuff like this isn't more popular than the leather straight jackets dipped in human piss and recycled condoms *cough* *cough* I mean.. uhh, CCP jackets.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  18. il_colonnello

il_colonnello Well-Known Member

19. youwhat

youwhat Well-Known Member

yeah, always like that phillip lim. could never find it though. the braided sleeves and other versions were a bit trendy / faddy. and they were the ones about.

plain soft one looked great.

[​IMG]

20. MiamiLex

MiamiLex Well-Known Member

My wife is currently fixated on the ToJ Women's BCDR. Rather than go down that messy messy road I was looking for alternatives with a similar aesthetic.

I've touched base with Langlitz about getting the Cascade with darting but they don't have any fit pics or samples for women. Anybody have any experience with Langlitz doing women's cuts? Or any other alternatives sub ~$1500?