1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Trit

Trit Well-Known Member

I notice this season's 5-Zips have visibly stitched hems now. One of the details I loved about Margiela jackets was the super clean edges. It just sort of folds under and makes a real crisp line with no puckering. Anyone know how they do that? Is there like a bonded something in there sticking it together? Were they stiched in earlier seasons? Anyway, stitched hem is lame.

But I can't fault that model.

[​IMG]

2. JSAN

JSAN Well-Known Member

The one I had had the leather just folded upwards, but it felt solid so probably glued together at the bottom.

3. Mead

Mead Well-Known Member

I am not sure about those big zippers, but the cut is great

4. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

5. artishard116

artishard116 Well-Known Member

no leathers with buttons. ever. (or hoods)

6. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

But, but, but, suede T-1/T-3?

7. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Well-Known Member

Interesting jacket - would like to see more detail on the sleeve ends and the fasteners used there. Sort of the bastard child of a leather blazer and a traditional leather work jacket. (which would be buttoned)

8. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

Hoods are cool imo, no to buttons though

9. nyarkies

nyarkies Well-Known Member

No buttons on leather jackets for me either. Personally, I also don't like any horizontal seams that go across the sleeves or the body (partially and fully) unless it's just the hems at the bottom. Horizontal seams on the elbow joints are a bit iffy for me.

10. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

hard-and-fast rules like "no buttons on leather" strike me as hilariously arbitrary in a thread where jackets with titanium inserts fly under the radar

8 people like this.
  11. nyarkies

nyarkies Well-Known Member

I wouldn't put it as a rule. Just a preference for me. I'm not sure about the rest.

12. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

Im generally not a fan of buttons on anything but if something looks good then there is no denying it, i am with you on this its a preference thing. Someone can come in the thread and add a really cool jacket with buttons, would be good to see.

13. Matsa

Matsa Well-Known Member

In my opinion someone just did. I don't normally like buttons on leather jackets either but I think that jacket looks good. But yea, preferences and so on.

Brad: Can you post a link to it? Googling the brand didn't lead me anywhere interesting.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  14. Mulan

Mulan Well-Known Member

15. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

16. Matsa

Matsa Well-Known Member

17. Melbush

Melbush Well-Known Member

What's the consensus on the sizing of the Margiela 5 zip? I have seen jackets that are supposed to be the same size with very different measurements.

18. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Well-Known Member

not sure there is a consensus... they vary from season to season. TTS seems to work for a lot of people but i'm a large 48 and took a 46. the pattern seems very accommodating though- a friend who is at least a size smaller tried mine and looked fine in it. the key thing for the modern version is that you must have a slim waist, it has a strong taper as the picture on this page shows.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  19. Melbush

Melbush Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, I read indeed it was really tapered. Then it may not be for me... I was considering a blue 5 zip or this Ricky O jacket (the black one), the latter will be more forgiving I guess

[​IMG]

20. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Well-Known Member

if it was the slate blue SS version from a couple of seasons back i think the taper was less sharp. your best bet is to try to get measurements/fit pics if possible (i'm assuming you can't try it on).