1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. AeroleathersTB

AeroleathersTB Well-Known Member

Busy! It's been a good winter for us...we usually just post on our own thread, but the mention of repros always piques our interest! This Aero, in the black Vicenza with a tartan liner, runs about $1,260.00. That's with a fit jacket, so the body and sleeve lengths are custom. There's a lot out there under $1000, but Vanson and Scott are probably the best in the repro market. We're trying to get the Vanson Daredevil finally finished up with Vanson...hopefully the leather will come through soon!

2 people like this.
  2. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

MMM 5zip has changed over the years (zippers used, leather and even cut). You might like some of the new version that are slimmer and more tubular (i.e. more like DH/SLP/anything fashionable right now). I personally love the old version and wear it more than my other leathers (3 RO including a fox fur collar one that I'm sure OJ also likes). It is super easy to wear with slim jeans or whatever but I find that it looks cooler with a clean Margiela aesthetic (so white shirt and a patch sweater). As for the leather quality well mine is deer, some are calf etc etc, it is a mixed bag and you can't really say with a straight face that you dislike every leather that have been used. SLP basic riders are what, lamb and calf and that is pretty much it. I prefer the calf version.

1 person likes this.
  3. extraminimal

extraminimal Member

My latest jacket: a thick, hefty lamb. Anatomic seams on the sleeves, and vertically ribbed panels on the torso sides and forearm backs. The overall impression is pretty cyberpunk.

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  4. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

5. extraminimal

extraminimal Member

IRO bought from Barney's Warehouse. Wound up buying at stacked 50% and 30% off retail.

It was final sale and slightly larger than I prefer, so I soaked and ran it through a dryer to shrink it. The sleeves and back panel got some incredible texture out of the process -- an enlarged grain effect that almost looks like an exotic leather. (I want to photograph this, but can't seem to get an accurate shot.) Now it fits perfectly and the aesthetic is actually improved, in my opinion.

The product page is here, but the photos don't at all do justice to the leather quality:
    http://www.barneyswarehouse.com/iro-leather-moto-gad-jacket-00505038682278.html

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  6. sinnedk

never heard of IRO but jacket looks cool

7. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

Especially if you got that much of a deal on it, I'd agree looks pretty cool.

8. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

Incredible how much better it looks post-soak. Well done, sir.

1 person likes this.
  9. sinnedk

damn, idk if i'd have the balls to soak and dry a brand new jacket, maybe if it was 80% off and i could handle a loss of sorts...

1 person likes this.
  10. canstyleace

canstyleace Well-Known Member

I've done it with veg tanned lamb and agree it works great for shrinkage and texture, although I did not throw it in the dryer, after washing I just bunched them up and rolled them with a big ass towel and let them dry out for a couple days like that

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  11. sinnedk

Any particular models of vanson?

12. nyarkies

nyarkies Well-Known Member

Did it to lamb, sheep, and horse but no dryer. I just soaked it in warm water for 15 to 20 mins. It shrinks the jacket at least a size down and becomes stiff again. With the horse, the grain became more pronounced.

13. daviddee100

daviddee100 Member

There are two leather jackets im interested in, one by lot78 and the other by Blk Dnm. Which company makes the better, softer leather? Hope someone can give me insight. Both price points are similar

14. gunnerpunk

gunnerpunk Well-Known Member

no experience with lot78. im not sure which blk dnm jacket you're referring to but i have the leather jacket 5 which is the standard perfecto biker and the jacket is cut pretty slim with high armholes. the leather itself is ok, it's lamb but the padded lining makes the sleeves feel thicker. however, i've found that the jacket's pretty inconsistent in terms of cut so i'd order a couple to try on or find a brick and mortar where you can handle them in person as I went through 3 of them before I found the one that fit me best. if you're in the market for a classic perfecto and can find it for between 400-500 then you'll dig this jacket. if you're looking for something that is super soft and better leather then i'd save up a few more hundred and go for one of the many options this thread has suggested.

15. AeroleathersTB

AeroleathersTB Well-Known Member

All of Vanson's jacket are under $1,000.00, but there are a several that we sell a lot of...the Chopper, the Comet PLU, the Model B and Model B Deluxe. They are all quite different in style and cut, so it depends on what you're looking for and what will have the best cut for you. Feel free to email us at info@thurston-bros.com and we can give you some sizing info!

16. daviddee100

daviddee100 Member

thanks for the advice. I was referring to their bomber jacket, this one http://www.blkdnm.com/menswear/leather-jackets/p/mkl17201/leather-jacket-81

Which is calfskin apparently. Lot78's is nappa leather.
    I doubt the quality between the blk dnm's would be much different especially given the price point of the one you bought being generally the same as the bomber version im interested in.
    Its unfortunate i cant try on either companys bomber in a store!

17. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Well-Known Member

Just a few options out there in the market, although the last two from Langlitz really are designed strictly for riding:

1. Thedi Leathers (Greece) - Buco J100 style in Black Italian Horsehide - Thedi is run by a former Harley Euro design head and designs some interesting moto jackets, mixing and matching different historical styles. Mine is a pretty standard cafe racer but with a nice slim fit, high arm holes, etc...

2. and 3. Aero Board Racer in Seal Goatskin. This is the most modern cut of the Aero Cafe Racers and features the "top" sleeve zips. Not really great to ride in with higher armholes and narrow sleeves.

4. Langlitz Cascade in black goatskin. One of if not the original minimalist cross zip jacket, designed in 1948 and unchanged today. Super tough but very comfortable goatskin. This jacket is 6 years old.

5. Langlitz Cascade in black goatskin with pads and brown stitching. Bought the same model in a larger size to be able to layer armor and technical layers for cold riding days. Langlitz will customize their jackets in hundreds of ways, thread colors, padding, leather colors, pockets added and deleted, and are all MTM.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. MiamiLex

MiamiLex Well-Known Member

Great looking jackets, thanks for sharing!

19. sacafotos

sacafotos Well-Known Member

If anyone lives in San Francisco, I highly recommend Johnson Leathers on Polk St. Alan is a true craftsman. I'm about to place an order soon; will post photos when I receive the piece.

2 people like this.
  20. double00

double00 Well-Known Member

Yup. You don't have to live in SF to wear one though I do recommend it also. FYI - mine is thrifted but full retail is extremely reasonable for the quality of the leather and build... here's mine:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I understand they do custom work all the time but I'm sure this is off the rack.