• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Barney's has a black 5 zip left. Size 50. Somewhere around $2800. Leather feels really nice... much better than the SLP and Givenchy leathers I checked out today.

checked out the blue 5 zip from this season, colour is nice but quality is not even close to the black calf FW13 iteration (which i would guess is the one you're talking about).

That's the same 5zip I returned, quality is definitely not better than SLP, maybe Givenchy. The washed calf right? It was super thin, was really disappointed. It initially felt good when I saw it a few months ago at the store, looked solid and nice but once I got one a month back, it felt like a completely different jacket, just flimsy and almost Rick Owens paper thin. I'm sure it's the same jacket too because of the wash or effect it had.

Tried on the red leather SLP a few weeks back, while not the best leather out there, it is overall very good and fit is spot on. I like the Balmains better though, just less bright and less conspicuous.

hipster

Reaction score
handled several givenchy, dior, slp etc. leathers in NYC and was quite underwhelmed by them all.
only belstaff shearling(this one i think www.mrporter.com/product/373912) @barneys blew my mind. **** was absolutely amazing.

Last edited:

d1234

Reaction score
Yes, I completely agree. I would be very surprised if any of these pieces cost more than 250-350 euros to make.

Anchoring bias is a b*tch.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's the same 5zip I returned, quality is definitely not better than SLP, maybe Givenchy. The washed calf right? It was super thin, was really disappointed. It initially felt good when I saw it a few months ago at the store, looked solid and nice but once I got one a month back, it felt like a completely different jacket, just flimsy and almost Rick Owens paper thin. I'm sure it's the same jacket too because of the wash or effect it had.
Tried on the red leather SLP a few weeks back, while not the best leather out there, it is overall very good and fit is spot on. I like the Balmains better though, just less bright and less conspicuous.

handled several givenchy, dior, slp etc. leathers in NYC and was quite underwhelmed by them all.
only belstaff shearling(this one i think www.mrporter.com/product/373912) @barneys blew my mind. **** was absolutely amazing.

Honestly guys after handling CCP, BBS, Incarnation and Balmain (examples that come to mind), the thickness of those jackets is not comparable to most other items. The quality and leather treatments are insane so its hard to look at other things.

I divide the way i look at the Leather jacket market into 2 categories RTW and MTM (i am lumping bespoke into MTM).
  • RTW will have all the awesome crazy treatments, should have a great cut and original design (i use the word original loosely since nothing is really original).
  • MTM will lose out on originality/design but will make up for it with the cut and amazing leather normally.

What i am getting at is its hard for me to look at a RTW jacket and not compare it to my MTM. The MTM wins most times and yet i still drool for the CCP and Balmain leathers.

rant over :tounge:

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aren't there some stylezeitgeistian-type leathers made of pretty high quality, thick horsehide?

einstine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather thickness is not a who's dick is bigger contest. Its good to have variety, for multiple reasons that were discussed previously on this forum.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Aren't there some stylezeitgeistian-type leathers made of pretty high quality, thick horsehide?

Yea i hear ZB and Collateral Concepts

Leather thickness is not a who's dick is bigger contest. Its good to have variety, for multiple reasons that were discussed previously on this forum. 

Hence i mentioned leather treatments

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks for your feedback.
I sent the jacket back yesterday.

Oh man that close up made the jacket look worse, i am glad you sent it back. Now, lets move on to some real talk...whats your budget and what kind of jacket are you looking for?

Have you checked a TOJ collared moto?

Schott collared moto link

maybe others can weigh in some suggestions as well

Last edited:

Lokesh

Reaction score

Thanks for your feedback.
I sent the jacket back yesterday.

Oh man that close up made the jacket look worse, i am glad you sent it back. Now, lets move on to some real talk...whats your budget and what kind of jacket are you looking for?

Have you checked a TOJ collared moto?

Schott collared moto link

maybe others can weigh in some suggestions as well

+1 on the TOJ. Looked up the Alexander Leather Roadster, and on sale it seems to cost about $400. Not sure what your budget is or how much you picked this up for, but if you have mostly standard proportions and some patience, you might be able to pick up a TOJ in the marketplace here for about the same price. If you have even more patience and a bit more of a budget, you could order one to your exact measurements.

I picked up a TOJ moto recently in calf, and I am very impressed by the construction in particular. It definitely looks like it is made to last a long long time.

Last edited:

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
This SLP would be perfect for my low self esteem days.
But at north of $10k, I think I'll wait for it to show up at the local vintage shop (which is gonna happen...in my size as well)

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This SLP would be perfect for my low self esteem days.
But at north of $10k, I think I'll wait for it to show up at the local vintage shop (which is gonna happen...in my size as well)

thats a few logos short of being one of those nascar jackets, well i guess it can be the flag to start the race

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads