1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Well-Known Member

Indeed I had mr porter in mind. Trouble is in most brands if I size for my chest and shoulders, the arms are a tad too long. I'm average height,but retained the wide shoulders and broad chest and back when I was weightlifting.

Hence the recommendation for a leather working shop. I figure I'll need to have it handy for when I do decide. It would be disastrous if the alterations were shoddy and reversible. I know the zipper sleeves require a bit of work and money to properly shorten the sleeve.

Other option is to go through ToJ which isn't quite clear if they're still doing business.

2. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

E-mail them to see. It's probably your best bet TBH. I can't think of anyplace locally that I'd trust to work on a high end leather... part of why most Ricks are undoable for me.

3. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

get TOJ mtm problem solved

4. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

Except the 4 year wait.

5. DLester

DLester Well-Known Member

It would be hard for me to recommend ToJ to a noob anymore, even if they do still take orders. ToJ makes a nice product. But the wait is apparently interminable, and there are too many examples of sizing mishaps. They had a good run for a while.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    6 people like this.
  6. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

Wait time is a legit criticism, but Toj can't be held accountable for people buying the wrong size.

2 people like this.
  7. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

I think it's more of an example of "if you're new to clothing/leathers, you're more likely to make a sizing mistake" than a criticism of ToJ. Sizing isn't a science, but it's still a good idea to know what you're looking for and what fits than copping sight unseen for a first major purchase.

3 people like this.
  8. LelandJ

LelandJ Well-Known Member

If you have your body measured correctly how can you order the wrong size? If you gain 20 pounds during the 15 month wait time then that's a different issue.

3 people like this.
  9. superego

superego Well-Known Member

anyone have experience w RO oiled calf in the 'darkness' color way able to comment on how it looks IRL? pics online show it anywhere from brown to dark grey, not sure what to expect

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  10. chobochobo

chobochobo Well-Known Member

I had the mollino in oil calf darkness, which indeed looked dark grey.

11. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

Well they do have stock sizing ...

1 person likes this.
  12. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

and many of the sizes (IME) are close to spot on already. :nodding:

13. Jeigernaut

Jeigernaut Active Member

[​IMG]
    Gotta love ebay.

1 person likes this.
  14. AndrewDoesHair

AndrewDoesHair Well-Known Member

Last time I posted in this thread I was made fun of for owning vintage leather, but I don't care- I'll post again... I own 11 leather jackets now, a few by by Schott, mostly American made, and mostly vintage, but I was recently surprised by the quality of a very low priced jacket at leatherup.com so I thought I'd share about it for anyone who can't spend $500 or more on a jacket...

This thing cost me $99 with free shipping. Maybe it's not the "best leather jacket," as I suppose I am unqualified to determine what that actually is (I guess maybe I am still a little bitter about being teased last time I posted here), but I do believe it is absolutely the best leather jacket you'll find outside of a thrift store for $99... I actually bought it the same day that I had earlier tried on and passed on a Schott 141 while I had the $600+ in my pocket that I'd saved specifically to buy said Schott. This one had a slimmer cut and heavier leather, plus a removable lining. Granted, I feel a little guilty for not supporting American manufacturing with that purchase, but at least it was $100 to what is possibly a sweat shop and not $500 to one....

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. AndrewDoesHair

AndrewDoesHair Well-Known Member

Typo- I've OWNED 11 in the past 2 years... They're constantly coming in and going out. I think I have 7 or 8 right now...

16. TheProfessor

TheProfessor Active Member

Can someone please please please tell me who makes this jacket. It's the one I've been looking for!

[​IMG]

Thanks!!

17. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what the point of buying a shitty $99 leather jacket is when you already own 10 leather jackets.

9 people like this.
  18. Jeigernaut

Jeigernaut Active Member

The point is that he hadn't already owned that one. It has since been remedied.

1 person likes this.
  19. el Bert

el Bert Well-Known Member

Dior
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11 people like this.
  20. Ariiam

Ariiam Well-Known Member

o.0 That's awesome