1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. futuresailors

futuresailors Well-Known Member

@stevent I didn't mean to imply that people don't care about textile quality, but rather than there isn't the same preoccupation with how substantial textiles are. If Fashion House X produced a heavy wool blazer and a thin super 150s wool blazer, the thick wool wouldn't be considered better quality just because it's thicker. Switch "leather" for "wool" and you'll see that very judgment being passed.

@Distorbiant I think the value of leather in a fashion context is that, unlike most other materials, it carries some cultural connotations (rebellious, luxurious, "edgy", etc). With leather, you're not just paying for the material, but its implications as well.

2. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

well those are three different tiers of the line there; Prorsum > Burberry > Brit.

3. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Well-Known Member

I believe it was a regular Burberry costing $1300 in 2009.

4. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

^ ya ok... and I agree with what you said above... almost certainly not worth it. Very little if any of their stuff is still produced in Wales or the UK since they moved manufacturing to China. Just that branding and marketing ...

5. Distorbiant

If you look at the original post he also talks about how Burberry has larger overheads for storefronts and advertising and such.

Besides, how can you call a jacket good quality if it can't hold a sandwich, passport, and a book?

6. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

^Lol at RO reference

7. freshcutgrass

freshcutgrass Well-Known Member

8. Elysium

Elysium Well-Known Member

For those who have/tried both, how do XS Rick Owens jackets fit size-wise compared to Julius size 1? Or does it vary on season/model?

I have an 09 Julius jut neck which is borderline too tight to wear zipped up comfortably. I'm a slimmish/athletic build, definitely not skinny

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  9. Distorbiant

It varies. This last season of rick ran about 2 US sizes small.

10. canstyleace

canstyleace Well-Known Member

julius sz 1 fits kinda borderline on me too I guess, same build sans the "ish", I tried on last? seasons xs and did not fit me at all, p2p was like 17"-17.5" tops, couldn't even get full arm in sleeve, had to go small and still felt borderline in the chest/shoulders/biceps, medium felt better but way too long, walked away

11. Jbravo

Jbravo Well-Known Member

Can anyone comment on the quality of Golden Goose leathers?

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Most decent leather jackets are made from top grain, not full grain, leather. The lower layers are skivved off. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to move. The quality of the leather depends on the quality of the hide and the quality of the tanning. Beyond that, and the quality of the make, a lot boils down to personal preference.

1 person likes this.
  13. Distorbiant

That's understandable. I think some of the thicker full grain leathers simply cannot be constructed normally. A good example would be the TOJ VTG leather, which is a heavy natural leather. Great quality but the stuff was so inflexible that several of the owners down the line had the stitching completely unravel at stress areas after regular wear.

14. sinnedk

can u link or show pic of which TOJ that is...

15. sinnedk

16. Ariiam

Ariiam Well-Known Member

Can anyone comment on the quality of Attachment's (Not KKA) leather jackets? This guy's offering me $400 on a deer leather DR in excellent condition

17. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Well-Known Member

Apologies if this has been asked before, but are there any recommendations for a reliable leather working shop that does minor alteration work online or that you can send to. Not 100% confident in the shops around where I am.

Any thoughts on acne studios jackets? I like the design but haven't handled the leather as nobody carries it locally.

18. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Well-Known Member

The leather on the ones I've handled was seriously heavy-duty, was close to buying one last summer but had some issues with that particular design

19. sinnedk

mr porter has a very easy return policy if you are worried about sizing...