1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

My feeling about Toj not closing is that they were probably gonna do it, but business is kinda quiet now so they can easily hammer out new orders without focusing on new designs.

Either way I doubt it's a marketing ploy; at worst, Drew is being fickle as he has always been.

2. reedobandito

reedobandito Well-Known Member

I also don't feel like it was intended as a marketing ploy, obviously Drew has diverted nearly all attention to his restaurant. However, I think people would be perfectly fine with the same standard models/materials for a season or two, giving Drew time to develop his restaurant and come back to designing when he's ready

After that huge rush of orders, I can imagine there only being a trickle for a while.

3. pazzion

pazzion Well-Known Member

I picked up this Himel Bros Kensington at Self Edge LA (though the first pic is from Self Edge San Francisco, where I first saw it and tried it on). It's a collab between Himel Bros and Self Edge, using Himel Bros's Kensington model made in a super nice front quarters horsehide leather from Shinki tannery in Japan. I've been on the hunt for "the" perfect leather jacket, which, to me, pretty much is this jacket. It's dark brown, really clean, simple and with a great attention to details. The leather is amazing, and it feels really solid. The fit pic is a size 38, but I had to go with a size 40 to be able to close the zippers in the sleeves, as well as being able to layer with a sweat shirt underneath. It's below 32 degrees F at the moment, so I haven't been able to use it since I got back home from my Cali vacation, but I don't think that I've ever been anticipating spring this much! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  4. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

I don't know how well Scout is doing, but maybe he needs the extra income to supplement business until it really takes off.

5. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

he said on facebook he's running it basically as a non-profit lol

6. einstine

einstine Well-Known Member

Closing TOJ would be a terrible decision, he makes bank off those orders. Unless he is doing a lot of side jobs because his instagram shows he makes good money.

7. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

doubt it, otherwise no incentive to do this at all. I do believe he kept costs down a lot and is not turning a huge profit but makes enough to keep the operation going.

i agree with that. while there are other MTM leather jacket shops, there aren't many with the neat and slick designs that TOJ offers. I like TOJ designs a lot. I know the designs are classic re-interpretations but they do it really well. I like the idea of being able to order something cool whenever i can afford and/or want.

i own a TOJ moto all black zips and a TOJ ma-1 (best ma-1 i ever owned), fits are spot on.

8. Dbear

Dbear Well-Known Member

I imagine what he is trying to do with his cuisine costs a lot of money just in the raw goods alone. If he isn't compromising his vision, then he will also likely outprice his customers.

So, he is likely not taking much profit at all right now (maybe none) just to get his foothold in the business, which is perfectly OK considering TOJ pays for everything and costs him nothing.

Lets see, offering great high end food at a comparatively low price...hm, wonder why that sounds so familiar....?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  9. bows1

bows1 Well-Known Member

Just to clarify Brad is talking about Drew's restaurant, not TOJ.

10. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

thanks missed that

11. reedobandito

reedobandito Well-Known Member

He's said multiple times that ToJ isn't a serious money maker, he even lost money on some models (wallet??)

I think it'd be smart if he just ended MTM and started producing stock models (maybe with slight variations in length, like 46s with 48 lengths) and sold them for maybe $850-950 a piece, I'd imagine that'd be a much smaller headache and he'd sell them at a nice clip

12. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

He's not trying to stay in the struggle-saving-for-first-nice-clothing market. When he does capsule collections, they'll be more than the current offerings (regardless of retailer markup).

13. LaymanX

LaymanX Well-Known Member

Really hope he holds off closing down taking orders until I receive my jacket (probably some time in 2015 lol) to determine if the fit is good. If the fits good, I'll probably instakop another one.

14. einstine

einstine Well-Known Member

Well just browsing through my regular instagram feed recently I remember him posting some new clothing, new silver BMW, new rims, and some pictures of his cars in the garage. He definitely makes good money.

I think if he had some pre-made to set aside for people who don't want to wait, and charged and extra $150-$200 that would be a good idea. On the other hand the made-to-order is the best thing about TOJ, being able to get a custom-fitted leather jacket that is actually nice looking and modern at around $800 is a really good deal.

15. cyc wid it

MTM is what he hates most about ToJ.

16. canstyleace

canstyleace Well-Known Member

anybody? tia

17. Dbear

Dbear Well-Known Member

At the rate of 2 jackets a day (1 bomber, 1 rider), he's prolly pulling down close to a stack a day or a quarter mil a year.

Not crazy, but nothing to sneeze at considering he did no work for it this last year.

18. cyc wid it

He still has to go source materials periodically, but yeah - it's not something he has to actively work on daily.

19. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Well-Known Member

Arguably these are the primary features that made TOJ as successful as it is. It's a shame there isn't more of a compromise--such as an additional cost for MTM beyond body and sleeve lengths.

It seems like normal burnout to me. Which is why I wouldn't be surprised if he starts feeling more positively about the business again and decides to continue it.

20. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Well-Known Member

Drew knows what he's doing, that's all you guys need to know.

7 people like this.