1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RatherAnOddball, Jul 17, 2008.

1. DLester

DLester Well-Known Member

One of these is available, I am pondering it.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. uzairh

uzairh Well-Known Member

3. KingJulien

KingJulien Well-Known Member

Yeah i just threw it on in the bathroom at work and snapped a pic, you're right, didnt really notice. Coming to a b&s near you...

4. nicelynice

nicelynice Well-Known Member

Not a huge fan of the RO Pilot, the neck area looks a bit goofy with that velcro thing and the full sleeze gusset things make it look a vest

5. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

I always thought that was the intended look?

I like my pilot but it isn't my favorite. The knit on the sleeves just becomes loose and kind of sags with wear.

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

I think it looks fine. As you eluded to, it's a cheesy color. I don't think it would look any better if it was more fitted. And also, sell it to me!

7. KingJulien

If this is the yoox one we spoke about it's not going to fit you unless you're way smaller than I think you are - at $6, though, just give it a shot.

I think the pilot is a really nice jacket. It's not going to last as long though since the ribbing will get ruined a lot faster than the leather.

8. KingJulien

The jacket really exemplifies the kitch aspect of MMM, which was the best of the label IMO. I tend to be inclined to just rock things that are a little off in sizing (particularly something like this that looks like it was unearthed at a vintage shop) but the hate I get on the forum for that has been swaying me against it lately :/

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  9. Benesyed

Benesyed Well-Known Member

haha yeah idk what i was thinking that should be inches not cm!

10. djt00

djt00 Well-Known Member

Agreed, more fitted wouldn't look better

11. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Well-Known Member

does anyone make a jacket similar to nicelynice's incarnation that accommodates 10" drop and is on the short side? only remote possibility I can think of is Rick

12. tellure

tellure Well-Known Member

My 10 Sei 0 Otto size 48 fits quite snug and I have a 37" chest, so assuming they follow most sizing conventions and go up 2" per size, a size 50 would be slim on a 39" chest, and size 52 slim on a 41" chest. If you're 42" I would probably go for a 54.. I know if I was 1" larger my 10 Sei 0 Otto would probably be too tight.

1 person likes this.
  13. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

KJ, this is a fine way of looking at things, but there's a line between items looking kitschy and oversized (good) and sloppy (not good). If the shoulders fit, but the sleeves are long, fine; if the sleeves fit but the shoulders drop a bit, that's fine too - it's when both are off that I think it verges on sloppiness. The whole thing looks fairly droopy in that picture. I shouldn't say that it absolutely doesn't work, but in the low-quality bathroom picture you posted, it certainly doesn't appear to. I hope it works out, but when you're talking about tailoring one or more aspect of every purchase you make, it seems to me that you're just buying things in the wrong size.

I think it looks like a fun piece, though, especially with some loose white trousers and a ridiculous 70's shirt. FWIW, I don't think you get any "hate" at all. Snark, sure, but SF has a way of producing snark when advice is seemingly ignored, though.

Feel absolutely free to post more pictures and prove me completely wrong, though - maybe a full body shot when you're not hunching over with your hands in your pockets?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  14. KingJulien

I agree with you on pretty much all points, here, except the one on sizing down. My issue is that I'm a straight 50 in the chest and shoulders, (maybe slightly smaller than average in the shoulders but not enough to throw anything off), but with the exception of most knits and some shirts I usually end up having to chop off an inch or two in the sleeves. I think if the sleeves are off on something, it will usually exacerbate anything else wrong with the fit, and makes the whole thing come off as sloppy.

I guess what I'm saying is that I probably need to spend the $15 at the tailor before posting pics, or else elucidate better than I did above that it needs to be adjusted before I really wear it. Here's the jacket with the cuffs flipped up inside the sleeves (excuse the bedhead) and in proper daylight:

[​IMG]

The sleeves are now a little short and look weird without the cuffs but you get the idea. The way you described is pretty much exactly how I would style it, too. Also, aviators.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  15. Understatement

Understatement Well-Known Member

I want to buy this jacket but not sure about the size. Would be nice if you can help out!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  16. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

please don't buy that

17. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

please don't buy that

18. glundr

glundr Well-Known Member

obvious branding like those gucci stripes on that jacket are worse than ed hardy in my opinion.

19. rexet

rexet Well-Known Member

20. daversity

daversity Member

on mine the upperarms/shoulders are definetely the most restrictive part. If you work out a lot, I´d size up to 54 if not 52 could work but will be VERY fitted, maybe too much so.

3-4 months old sz 52 (between 41 and 42 chest, shoulders about the same)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
    1 person likes this.