1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Laptop for Bschool

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by KJT, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Bentech

Bentech Active Member

What Indesertum is talking about is using an mSATA SSD. The X220 is too small for an optical drive in the first place, let alone a second hard drive.

You can, however, use an mSATA drive. They are super compact, and fit in the same slot used by a wireless card.

[​IMG]

They are a good option, but not widely used. Not too many computers on the market currently support mSATA, and therefore, the available drive options are very slim.

2. KJT

KJT Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone for posting! I've decided on the x220 after the posts here and conversations with several students who own them currently. I am working on the specs to build it. You guys have surpassed my knowledge talking about the solid state drives vs regular HDD etc, so I thought I'd post my build here first and see what you guys think. They're having a pretty good sale on the top end x220 through the 20th, with an additional 25% off. I will absolutely call them and see if I can haggle a better price before purchasing.

List: $1,940
    Sale price: $1,105.50
    Savings: $834.50 Pretty nice.

Some of these might be too powerful for what I need, but the 25% off isn't available for the other builds of the x220, so they actually end up being more expensive. Thank you guys!

System components
    Intel Core i7-2620M Processor (2.7GHz, 4MB L3, 1333MHz FSB)
    Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64
    Microsoft Windows 7 XP Mode - English
    12.5" Premium HD (1366x768) LED Backlit Display, Mobile Broadband Ready, 2x2 Antenna
    4 GB DDR3 - 1333MHz (1 DIMM) (6GB is +$80, 8GB is +$160)
    No Fingerprint Reader
    720p HD Camera (included)
    320 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm (128 GB Solid State Drive, Serial ATA is +$280; Intel 160 GB Solid State Drive, Serial ATA is +$360)
    ThinkPad Battery 29++ (9 cell)
    Country Pack North America with Line cord & 65W AC adapter
    ThinkPad b/g/n
    Integrated Mobile Broadband - Upgradable

Do I need:
    System expansion slots [add $20.00] Lenovo USB Modem
    [add $20.00] Bluetooth 3.0

3. Saturdays

Saturdays Well-Known Member

Seems like you avoided our advice (or at least mine) and went straight for the i7. I'm sure you could have saved a thorough amount of money that could have been put into the SSD. For instance getting an i3 or i5 processor instead of the i7.

But congrats nonetheless, I hope it works out for you.

4. KJT

KJT Well-Known Member

Nope, I didn't avoid the advice, this is basically the build that the additional 25% coupon applies to. If I were to downgrade it to the i5 or i3, it would actually end up being more expensive than the i7.

Also, I haven't bought yet, I was just posting what the computer would look like and the price.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  5. Saturdays

Saturdays Well-Known Member

Aaah I see. Have you been checking SlickDeals and DealNews. Both are good resources to find good deals on electronics, amongst many other things.

6. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

Nice. I got an I5, Windows home, less RAM and I think paid more than you. The slice battery if you can get it at the same discount I think is worth it. Make sure to update all drivers when you get it and install avira and tpfancontrol. Case doesn't fit perfectly but is nice to have. Also buy Bluetooth only if you currently use. I personally never used it so didn't get it. Get 8gb RAM from newegg and an msata drive for sure. The Intel one is the only one to consider

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  7. KJT

KJT Well-Known Member

OK, when adding a 2 year warranty and tax, this came out to $1,355 which is a little more than I wanted to spend. I rebuilt with another coupon code with the i5, and here is what I got:

System components
    Intel Core i5-2410M Processor (2.3GHz, 3MB L3, 1333MHz FSB) Is this worth upgrading at all? $46 for 2.5Ghz, $89 for 2.6Ghz
    12.5" Premium HD (1366x768) LED Backlit Display, Mobile Broadband Ready, 2x2 Antenna
    2 GB DDR3 - 1333MHz (1 DIMM) Plan on purchasing 8GB separately
    No Fingerprint Reader
    720p HD Camera
    320 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm (switching to a 128GB SSD would add on $238)
    ThinkPad Battery 29+ (6 cell)
    Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 (2x2 AGN)
    Services and software
    2YR Onsite + 2YR ThinkPad Protection

For a total price of $941. This seems like a much better option for me. I don't need all that computing power and this is like $400 cheaper. Well, maybe $300 after I buy more ram. Thoughts?

BTW - thanks for sticking with me on this and helping. It's difficult to make the decision.

8. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

A lot of people complain about 1366x768 resolution, but I have that and no problems with it whatsoever.

Maybe you can haggle with Lenovo to get that 25% off an i3? I have a feeling an i7 will tear through the battery in no time flat, but someone else better chime in on that.

9. KJT

KJT Well-Known Member

The most recent one was dropped down to an i5 2.3Ghz instead of the i7. I don't really know much about processing power, but it's .4Ghz less powerful, so that should make a difference in battery life, no?

Edit: building the same computer with the i3 2.1Ghz instead of i5 2.3 Ghz is $40 cheaper. Not a very big difference.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  10. Stazy

Stazy Well-Known Member

All you need for business school is excel and powerpoint. That is to say, almost any laptop will do.

11. KJT

KJT Well-Known Member

:lol:

I tend to get carried away when making big purchases.

12. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

I'd go with the i3. I bought an i5 dual core (pre sandy bridge) not knowing that it's really no faster than the i3, but the i3 is cheaper, and easier on the battery.

Unless of course, you are considering this is a desktop replacement....if so the i7 may be worth it

13. KJT

KJT Well-Known Member

Alright thanks everyone. I ordered it.

Processor

Intel Core i5-2410M Processor (2.3GHz, 3MB L3, 1333MHz FSB)
    Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 English
    2 GB DDR3 - 1333MHz (1 DIMM)
    Keyboard US English
    No Fingerprint Reader
    720p HD Camera
    320 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
    No Micro Solid State Drive
    ThinkPad Battery 29+ (6 cell)
    Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 (2x2 AGN)
    Language Pack US English

2YR Onsite + 2YR ThinkPad Protection

Total with taxes etc was $990. Fairly happy about it.

Who can help me order the right DIMM for it and maybe an mSATA drive to run the OS on?

14. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

15. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

I'll throw in my $0.02 here as a b-school grad... this is probably the single most important purchase you're going to make for a few years. You will literally spend 10-14 hours a day on this thing, take it everywhere with you, and it will manage your life. get the best you possibly can and forget the money. every hundred $ here or there is worth it. So get the faster CPU, get a kickass SSD (maybe buy lowest end with the original purchase and put the money into the processor then post sale upgrade with more ram and a fast HD). boost your ram, etc. when doing the original purchase, spend the money on things you won't upgrade later like the processor and graphics.

personally I think a 14'' is a better option since it's way easier to work on multiple documents like going back and forth between ppt and word, or expanding view on excel, etc. and this isn't just for school. this will be your comp for watching movies, facebook,etc.

I bought a Dell (inspiron 6400) for B-school for about $1500 and have used it for 10+ hours almost every single day for 5 years now, that's right, 5 years. What I regretted was buying a 7200rmp drive instead of something faster, I ended up buying more faster ram later, and have bought a new battery every 1.5 years (off ebay for like $50) once it burns down to 1-2 hours. This baby has been totally faithful to me and was worth every penny.

don't skimp.

16. Bentech

Bentech Active Member

Excellent choice with the X220!

If you are feeling up to it, buy an 8gb memory kit from Newegg for $80. Install it yourself in 3 minutes.

Good luck with your new computer, and let me know if you want any help/advice with the ram upgrade.

Ben

17. mintyfresh

mintyfresh Well-Known Member

+1 to this thread. I'll be starting school shortly as well and this thread will be quite useful.

18. yjeezle

yjeezle Well-Known Member

good choice. i lobbied hardcore to get an X220 where i work... (the only IBM in a sea of dell's) and I think I have not only the slickest/most business professional looking laptop, but one of the fastest laptops in the company (thank god... i manage tons of data per day).

KJT / Mintyfresh, if you haven't already, any chance you could post your GMAT experience/prev. work experience for business school in a similar thread?

19. KJT

KJT Well-Known Member

20. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Not that this matters, but no, it's not worth it IMO, so you can rest easy :)

If you need any recs for productive free applications let me know. I have a fetish for that kinda stuff.