1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Lands' End Canvas

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by moosy, Nov 12, 2009.

1. blynch

blynch Well-Known Member

42.5" seems a little bigger than jcrew small, but I definately wouldn't call jcrew a slim S. Its more like a slim Medium if you get jcrew small. I guess these should be pretty similar size wise as jcrew, tent-like unless sized down.

2. Meis

Meis Well-Known Member

42.5" seems a little bigger than jcrew small, but I definately wouldn't call jcrew a slim S. Its more like a slim Medium if you get jcrew small. I guess these should be pretty similar size wise as jcrew, tent-like unless sized down.

+1

and they claim their small should fit a 34-36...so even giving an allowance of 4 the small should measure at the absolute most 38-40 (and personally I think 4 inches more than chest measurement would be a reg fit not a slim). So 42 would be pretty damn baggy, if not drowning-in-shirt status for someone who's actually a 34-36

3. wannabeagiant

wannabeagiant Well-Known Member

For Jcrew my 39" chest fits their S fine. Generally a trim cut is considered about 2" to 4" of allowance. So a 42.5" chest on slim S sounds about right. A bit on more allowance but definitely not tent-like.
    Chest sizes seems a little big but they can always be taken in. What about the shoulders? 17.5" seems too small to be able to size down. Edit: I emailed them and they said 17.5" shoulders for small and 18.5" for med.

4. Tarmac

Tarmac Well-Known Member

there is no way I am gonna take a $20 shirt to a tailor.

I am betting that S cannot measure 42 inches. that has to be wrong

I will report back when I receive them

5. Big Pun

Big Pun Well-Known Member

At 42.5" for SMALL OCBD? Seriously? That'd be a full 10" of extra fabric around my chest. How do people wear this stuff ???
    Not to be a dick, but is that even possible? Are you 8?

6. Dewey

Dewey Well-Known Member

Sure, but isn't ~39" chest standard for slim/fitted/tailored/buzzword smalls? Not that i can wear that either, just voicing my shock.
    Not standard for big retailers. A 39" chest in RTW would be slim fitting for a 35"-37" chest. A two inch allowance will be form fitting & you'd be lucky if it looked right in RTW. A standard RTW "slim fit" small, if small is 34/36 or 35/37 (as at LE), is going to be 42-43 inches (=37 plus five or six). 41 would be pushing it; dude would have to be truly fit to look right in it. Most of the LE customer base is >25 yo and probably 75% of these guys have pot bellies if they are not downright obese. You don't make a RTW slim-fit shirt with a two-inch chest allowance and a straight to tapered body and expect to sell them to these people. They would not be able to button them at the gut. FWIW Brooks Brothers does about +5" in the chest for their Slim Fit shirts. And LE defines a small as someone with a 35"-37" chest (see their size chart). LE is probably going after the BB customer, the 40-year-old who thinks he's slim because he's not obese. But really he's no Michaelangelo's David in the shower. Bottom line is these slim fit cuts probably are slim in the big picture but they are not going to be slim like the shirts from SW&D-approved boutiques. This is Lands' End; their shit is going to be middle-of-the-road. A 32" chest would be a Boys' size 16, right? That's an L in the Boys' department. You'd have Boys XL between the L and Mens' Small. A 32" chest might not even be Mens' X-Small. If I had a 32" chest and wanted slim-fitting shirts, I'd look at size 14 and size 16 shirts. LE makes a 14 slim and a 16 slim. The 16 slim chest is probably 38." Good luck finding your shirts man.

7. Listi

Listi Well-Known Member

Let's not make this thread about my chest.

8. saelan

saelan Well-Known Member

i'm waiting to hear about fit from people who ordered. if the small is what it looks like, i'm out of luck.

9. Epaulet

Epaulet Well-Known Member

wow, great coupon thanks for sharing that. I'm glad I held off ordering.

Now, to decide if I wan't the MacNeils or not. $243.75 is a pretty good price but I know the black is corrected grain leather...not sure about the new brown ones though. I saw the new brown color at the outlet store a few weeks ago and it looked pretty good but I didn't look too closely as they didn't have my size.

That's a fair price for the MacNeil. I had a pair, it's a pretty solid shoe and the leather's pretty good. That's exactly where their retail price should be - about twice as much as Florsheim and half as much as Alden.

10. MiniW

MiniW Well-Known Member

any word from anyone who ordered the shirts? I'm interested but skeptical at the same time

11. blynch

blynch Well-Known Member

any word from anyone who ordered the shirts? I'm interested but skeptical at the same time
    might as well order a few things with the 20% and free shipping code and see for yourself. It expires tomorrow, so by time others get their stuff you will have to pay more. Zero risk as you can just return at Sears and get 100% of your money back.

12. saelan

saelan Well-Known Member

might as well order a few things with the 20% and free shipping code and see for yourself. It expires tomorrow, so by time others get their stuff you will have to pay more. Zero risk as you can just return at Sears and get 100% of your money back.

sensible logic, but i doubt the sears-return works for canadians like myself.

13. nonissue

nonissue Well-Known Member

I think it might Saelan. It's worth calling and asking.

14. Helix

Helix Well-Known Member

Grabbed the khaki chambray in a medium. Figure there's not too much risk in it and for 26 bucks it's a steal if it turns out to be worth it.

15. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Well-Known Member

I think it might Saelan. It's worth calling and asking.

The receipt for my last order said you had to mail it back to Niagara Falls.

16. nonissue

Mmm, my chest is a 42, but I'm thinking about ordering a small in the blue stripe chambray. 45 just seems wayyyy too big.

17. Marcus Brody

Marcus Brody Well-Known Member

Mmm, my chest is a 42, but I'm thinking about ordering a small in the blue stripe chambray. 45 just seems wayyyy too big.

Wouldn't a 3 inch difference between actual chest measurement and actual garment measurement make for a reasonably close fit? I think that someone in the thread said that 2-4 inches of allowance is usually what's called a slim cut. .5 inches of allowance seems rough for a garment that isn't spandex.

18. nonissue

Wouldn't a 3 inch difference between actual chest measurement and actual garment measurement make for a reasonably close fit? I think that someone in the thread said that 2-4 inches of allowance is usually what's called a slim cut. .5 inches of allowance seems rough for a garment that isn't spandex.

yah, you're totally right. dunno what I was thinking. probably gonna order the blue stripe chambray tonight with free shipping.

19. Marcus Brody

Marcus Brody Well-Known Member

yah, you're totally right. dunno what I was thinking. probably gonna order the blue stripe chambray tonight with free shipping.
    Just doing my part to spare SF some possibly disturbing fit pics. [​IMG]

I have a tailored fit LE OCBD and it isnt' at all tent-like. It's from the custom measurement program they have, but i think all you adjust is collar and sleeve length (then just choose the fit). It's not as slim as some people on the sight wear them, but it's not bad at all in my opinion. (I'm 6'2, 175 with a 40 in chest, 32 in waist and 16.5 in neck for reference). I'm not sure how LE stuff fits in the smaller sizes but it wasn't billowy at all in the mid range.

20. blynch

blynch Well-Known Member

for me 2" makes a nice slim fit, so hopefully the small has big enough shoulders as chest wise it should be perfect (I'm 39.5" chest)